Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-4-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Wednesday and it’s brought to you by Valvoline Express Care… I’d like to remind you that this Friday, Dec. 6th Tony & Joy will be hosting their annual food drive to help the Laurens Baptist Association and their outreach to the needy during this holiday season… It will kick off when they open Friday morning and go through 4:00 pm… Randy Stevens and Rev. Anthony Sims will be there off and on throughout the day… Please bring your can goods or other non perishable, shelf stable items by… Of course they will also take cash… By the way, they will have breakfast coupons from Whitefords they will be giving away and other prizes including car washes at their carwash… So stop by and help them help out the Laurens Baptist Association.
CHS & LDHS: the Raiders and the Red Devils got together last night Clinton High School and the results were mixed:
- Girls: CHS 42 – LDHS 35: in the girl’s game, the Lady Red Devils gained revenge for earlier loss to the Lady Raiders as they took a 42-35 win over the visitors… The game stayed very tight and competitive through the first three-quarters with Laurens trying to run with the ball as much as possible and Clinton playing a little bit more patient… Clinton had a 30-27 lead going into the final quarter of play and put the game away in the fourth quarter as they outscored the Raiders 12-8….Clinton simply made shots at the end and hit free throws while Laurens had trouble doing both… Maleaka Neal led the Lady Red Devils with 11 points… Also scoring for the Red Devils were: Bredashia Walls 8, Tamia Sanders 7, Trevoria Dendy 6, Queena Cunningham 4 and both DaNaishia Floyd and Chyna Davis added 3 point each… Jadasia Bennett and Kela Daniels both had 9 points to lead the Lady Raiders… Others scoring for Laurens were; Kiya Burnside 5, KC Cofield 4, Jessica Johnson & Briana Carcamos both had 3 points and Bre Nance 2.. Both the Lady Red Devils and the Lady Raiders now have identical 1-2 records.
- Boys: LDHS 70 – CHS 57: in the boy’s game, Laurens extracted a little bit of revenge for the girls loss as they defeated Clinton 70-57… The game was a fast paced one as both teams moved up and down the court quickly….The Raiders led by three points (31-28) at the half and started putting the game away late in the third quarter and continue to do so in the fourth quarter….Clinton continued to try to keep pace with the Raiders but found shots not falling while the Raiders were able to make theirs….Laurens’ Davon Boyce led all scorers with 22 points…. Nike Davis led Clinton with 17 and Tay Cook added 10 points… Also scoring for Clinton were; Shakiyl Smiley 9, RJ Robinson 7, Tymori Tribble 6, and Ian Kinard 2… In addition to Boyce’s 22 points for Laurens also scoring were; Chuck Johnson 10, Jordan Sargent 9, Toby Jackson 7, LaDarius Williams & LaJune Jones 6 each, E’Nicholas Leake & Kezario Whitmore 5 each, and Chris Statom 3 points… Though Raiders improved their record to 2-2 while Clinton stands at 0-1 as this was the first game of their season…. And just for information, the same teams will get together on Friday, December 13 at LDHS and the game will be broadcast on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
Laurens Academy: Now I want to do a little catching up on Laurens Academy basketball from Monday night when travel to Greenwood to take on Greenwood Christian.
- Boys: L.A. 54 – GWC 30: in boys action to Crusaders took a 54-30 win over Greenwood Christian… Chase Brewington had 23 points to lead the Crusaders… Samuel Moore also had 14 points… Others scoring were Matthew Urwick 9, Robert Williams 4, Noah Stribling and Nathan Tyson added two points each.
- Girls: LA 44 – GWC 39…. Sorry no details available on this game if I get them I’ll update this posting later….By the way I also do not have the results the middle school action last Monday… Again I’ll update this posting if I get them.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Wrestling will host Dorman & Ware Shoals about 5:30
- This Thursday WLBG will start our broadcast of middle school basketball as the Sanders Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… We will start the broadcast a few minutes before 5:00 and of course we will stream it live at www.wlbg.com…
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The final meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club for this season will be the Annual Banquet on tonight at Lakeside Country Club … During this meeting the All-County Team will be announced as well as Coach of the Year and Player of the Year… The featured speaker will be will be Danny Ford former coach of the Clemson Tigers.. … Tickets for the banquet may still be available for $15 each… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run… The Laurens YMCA will hold the 14th Annual Reindeer Run on Saturday, December 14, 2013. The event will feature a 5K walk/run and a kid’s 1-mile fun run… For more information about it including a link to the registration site, click on the following link: Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run Info
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Basketball: The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department is also registering youth for their youth basketball program… There will be 3 age appropriate groups available… The cost is $30 and the deadline to register is December 7th … Registration can be done at their office at the Little River Park during normal business hours… For more information call 681-7275 or email email@example.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.