Varsity Basketball @ Greenwood:
- Girls: GHS 49 – CHS 36… Clinton girls traveled to Greenwood and lost 49-36 to the #4 Lady Eagles… Clinton trailed by 12, 27-15 at the half but cut the lead to eight before Greenwood went on 16-2 run late in the third and early 4th quarter… Clinton responded by finishing the game on 11-3 run of their own to make the final margin of 50-46…. The Lady Red Devils were led by Trevoria Dendy with 10 pts. Maleaka Neal had 8, Chyna Davis 7, Queena Cunningham & Bredashia Walls had 4, Ticambrius Copeland had 2 and Tamia Sanders had 1
- Boys: CHS 79 – GHS 77… Better news in the boys’ game as the Red Devils took a 79-77 win over the Eagles… Clinton trailed by double digits early but trailed by only 3 at the half 39-37… By the start of the final period Clinton had rallied and had a 2 point lead (54-52) going into the final period which they were able to maintain with solid play… Tymori Tribble led the Red Devils with 15 and Nike Davis chipped in 9.
JV Basketball host Newberry:
- Girls: Sorry no results from Coach Web
- Boys: CHS 44 – NHS 32… The CHS boys JV team defeated Newberry last night in Clinton by a score of 44-32… The Red Devils led 13-6 at the end of the 1st quarter and never looked back… Coach Eddie Romines said afterward “They key to winning tonight’s game was that we played very good defense, rebounded well, shared the ball on offense, and were able to get some transition baskets. I am proud of the guys! They never let up, they played with great intensity for 4 quarters… This was a nice win for us over a good Newberry team… However, we have a lot of room for improvement so we will keep practicing… Kia Young led the team with 9 points while Vee Thompson & Ta’Shymen Boyd each had 8… Nate Martin 6, Jatavis Moore & Harrison Fisher 4, Jameel Evans 3 and a point each for Koko Richey and Robert Powell.
Laurens Academy: Varsity Basketball host Oakbrook: Sorry did not get a report on either of these games.
Middle School Basketball
Bell Street Red @ Sanders… The BSR teams travel to Sanders last night in an early season battle between undefeated teams.
- Girls: Sanders, 21 -BSR 10… The Lady Yellow Jackets held the Lady Wildcats scoreless in the 2nd and 4th quarters in a row to a 21-10 win last night at Sanders… BSR turnovers were also a key factor in the 2nd half… The leading scorer for BSR was Sara Olivia Stevens with 4 points…. Destiny Fuller, Diana Martin and Mahogany Simpkins each had 2 points… Cali Heisey led Sanders with 8 points… Also scoring for Sanders were Alexus Espinoza -5, Jada Turner-3, Aushunti Smith-2 and Hannah Finley-1
- Boys: Sanders 49-BSR 39… In boys action Sanders pulled away from a 23 all tie at the half to take a 49-39 win over BSR… Turnovers and missed opportunities playing the Wildcats in the second half while Sanders made key shots down the stretch when he counted…Zay Hurley led the Wildcats with 13 points and Jahleed Cook had 12… Also scoring for BSR were Jadarius Payne 7, Taylor Bailey 5 and Ty Priestly 2…. Sanders Ty Foster led all scorers with 13 points and also scoring in double digits for Sanders were Troy Dendy 12 and Justin Anderson 10…, Connor Dunlap 6, and Donta Schumpert & Jay Kennedy 4 each.
Gray Court-Owings @ Bell Street White
- Girls: BSW 26 – GCO 24… After being down by 6 most of the night, the BSW girls team took a 26-24 win over the GCO girls… In the last 2 minutes of the game BSW took the lead and each team swapped back and forth until Alyssa Abercrombie hit the winning bucket with about 8 seconds left in the game… She also led BSW with 8 points…. Macayla Childs had 17 points and Kiara Austin 16 to lead GCO.
- Boys: BSW 30- GCO 27… The boys’ game was just as close as BSW took a 30-27 when over GCO… took the lead late in the game and the Tigers missed three opportunities to tie the game just before the buzzer… Josh Campbell led the Tigers with 9 points while Josh Greene and Josh Adams had 6 points each.
Belton @ Hickory Tavern
- Girls: Belton 41 – HT 14… No scoring details available but Coach Jansen They played as a team and continue to make progress.
- Boys: Belton 41 – HT 18… Nathan Long was the leading Panther scorer with 6 points a plus a steal and rebound… Layton Mahon had 5 points and 5 steals on the night plus 3 boards
Honea Path @ Laurens Middle
- Girls: HP 17 – LMS 15… In action at Laurens middle school, the Honea Path girl’s team took a 17-15 win over the Lady Tigers… Jada Dial had 11 points to lead the Tigers in scoring …
- Boys: LMS 34 – HP 33… In boys action LMS trailed HP 9 points going into the 4th quarter but came back to win 34-33… Aaron McLeod and Ty Rice both had 9 points to lead the Tigers…
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Newberry 6:00
- Varsity basketball @ Union County 6:00
- JV Basketball host Union County 6:00
- Sat. Dec. 7th… Laurens wrestling hosting the raider rumble for JV and Middle School Wrestlers 8:30am
- Our next middle school broadcast will be Monday Dec., 9th as we travel to Clinton where the Bell Street White Wildcats will host the Hickory Tavern Panthers… We will start our broadcast just a few minutes before 5:00 from the main gym at the old CHS…. Reminder we do stream live at www.wlbg.com
- Our next varsity broadcast will be Tuesday, Dec 10th as we come to you live from the main gym at LDHS as the Raiders will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… Dr. Rhett Harris and Mike Hughes will start the broadcast about 5:55. Again, remember it also will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
This & That:
- Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run… The Laurens YMCA will hold the 14th Annual Reindeer Run on Saturday, December 14, 2013. The event will feature a 5K walk/run and a kid’s 1-mile fun run… For more information about it including a link to the registration site, click on the following link: Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run Info
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Basketball: The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department is also registering youth for their youth basketball program… There will be 3 age appropriate groups available… The cost is $30 and the deadline to register is December 7th … Registration can be done at their office at the Little River Park during normal business hours… For more information call 681-7275 or email email@example.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.