Local Sports Results:
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders returned to region play last night as the Christmas break came to an end as they hosted the Easley Green Wave.
- Girls: Easley 48 – LDHS 44 OT… In the first game of the evening, the Lady Green Wave took a 48-44 win over the Lady Raiders in overtime… Easley owned a 21-17 lead at the half and stretched their lead to 32-24 going into the last quarter… The Lady Raiders then forced some Green Wave turnovers and their offense responded as they came back to tie the game at 42 all and send it into overtime… in the critical 4th period, Nasia Owens had 12 of her 18 points 9 of which came from behind the 3-point line… In the overtime, Laurens scored the first 2 points but Easley then scored 6 unanswered points to take the win… Owens led Laurens with 18 points and Kiya Burnside was also in double digits with 11 points… Others scoring for Laurens were: KC Cofield 9 and 2 points each for Bre Nance, Tiesha Jones and Kela Daniels.
- Boys: LDHS 57 – Easley 55…. Better news in boys’ action as the Raiders took a 57-55 win over the Green Wave… The Raiders led 29-20 at the half and at times in the first half looked like they would have their way with the Green Wave… They extended their lead to 10 as they led 46-36 going into the final period… In the 4th period Easley was able to get the ball inside to their BIG guy Quaven Ferguson as he scored 9 of his 11 points in the final period and seemed all but unstoppable… However, the Raiders were able to hang on for the 57-55 win…. Davon Boyce led all scorers with 19 points and was the only Raider to score in double-digits… Others scoring for Laurens were: Chuck Johnson with 9, Kezario Whitmore 8, Toby Jackson 6, LaJune Jones 5, Nicholas Leake 2 and Chris Statom 1… The Raiders will be back in action this Thursday as they travel to Greenville to take on the JL Mann Patriots in region action.
Laurens Academy: The Crusader basketball teams traveled to the Columbia area last night to take on the Hawks of Covenant Classical…
- Girls: LA 44 – CC 25….. The Lady Crusaders picked up their 6th win of the season as they defeated the Lady Hawks 44-25… Caroline Verdin was high scorer for the crusaders with 10 points and 9 boards to with them… Kayla Mitchell collected 15 rebounds and 6 points…. Abigale Taylor and Cassidy Crowder both had 6 points also… Coach Laura Rockefeller said it was a game where everyone got some quality playing time.
- Boys: LA 67 – CC 36… In boys’ action, the Crusaders were also victorious as they defeated the Hawks 67-36 to pick up their 8th win of the season… Matthew Urick had 24 points to lead the Crusaders and Chase Brewington had 19… Others scoring were Samuel Moore with 8, Josh Urick, Nathan Tyson & Devon Freeman all had 4 each while Robert Williams and Ryan Holmes eac added 2 points… The Crusaders are now 8-4 overall and 4-0 in region play.
- Middle school: In middle school action before the varsity games, the Crusaders picked up 2 wins to make it a clean sweep as the girls took a 31-12 win and the boys a hard fought 27-22 win.
- Final football Polls: Well the final football polls came out yesterday and it is no surprise that Florida state and Auburn finished 1 & 2 respectively…. Michigan State checked in at #3 and the Gamecocks of South Carolina 4th while Missouri finished 5th… The Clemson Tigers checked in at # 7 or # 8 depending on which poll you look at… I’d say it’s a pretty good year when the 2 major colleges in the little old state of South Carolina wind up in the top 10…For the rest of the poll results, click on the following link: NCAA Final Football Poll for 2013Local Sports Schedule:
- Wrestling host Hillcrest & Woodmont 5:30
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Bell Street White @ Bell Street Red
- Hickory Tavern at Gray Court-Owings
- Honea Path @ Belton
- Note: due to scheduling conflict, Laurens Middle @ Sanders will be Feb. 3rd.
- .WLBG: Friday night Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Hillcrest Rams… He’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 10th as the Red Devils play host to the Chester Cyclones… Join Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet also at www.wpcconline.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.