Local Sports Results:
CHS: the Clinton varsity basketball teams hosted Chester last Friday night in region action
- Girls: Chester 52 – CHS 46: 2 OT… It girls’ action, Chester took a 52-46 win over the Lady Red Devils but it took 2 overtimes to do it…. The Lady Red Devils led 10-9 at the end of the first quarter play but Chester tied the game at 17 all by halftime… Clinton had a 31-28 lead going into the fourth quarter but Chester rallied to tie the game at 42 all… Both teams managed to score only 2 points in the first overtime creating the need for the second overtime… In the second overtime, the Lady Red Devils simply ran out of gas as Chester took the 52-46 win… Maleaka Neal led the Lady Red Devils with 17 points… Trevoria Dendy also scored in double digits with 11 points… Also scoring for Clinton were: Tamia Sanders 5, Noelia Leah 3 and scoring 2 points each were KT Speaks, Ticambrius Copeland, Queena Cunningham, Chyna Davis, & Bredashia Walls.
- Boys: CHS: 68 – Chester 63… It was better news in the boys’ game as Clinton took a 68-63 win over Chester…The two teams battled back and forth all night and the score was 40-37 Clinton at the half… In the first half DY Young scored 14 of his 22 points on the night… The score was 52-50 with Clinton on top going into the decisive fourth quarter… In the fourth quarter, Nike Davis scored eight of his 16 points to lead Clinton to the 68-63 win… Coach Todd Frazier stated afterwards that was the best four quarters this team played all year… In addition to Young’s 22 points and Davis’ 16 others scoring for Clinton were: Tymori Tribble & Ian Kinard had 7 points each, RJ Robinson & Jay Fuller had 5 points each, Shakiyl Smiley 4, and Shakeam Dowdy 2… The Red Devils will head to Woodruff tomorrow for another important region contest.
CHS: the Clinton JV basketball teams traveled to Chester last Thursday night so let’s catch up on their scores now…
- Girls: Chester 38 – Clinton 32… After a three-week layoff, the Lady Red Devils JV team failed to Chester 38-32… Missed free throws hurt the Lady Red Devils… Deleting scores for Clinton were Olivia Hamrick with 14 points and Kalen Richardson with 8.
- Boys: Chester 54 – Clinton 51… And boys’ action, Chester completed the sweep of Clinton with a 54-51 win… The game went back and forth and Clinton had a four-point lead (39-35) going into the final quarter of play but turnovers and missed free throws by the Red Devils allowed Chester to come back and take the win… Vee Thompson and Kia Young were both in double digits for the Red Devils with 14 and 11 points respectively… Nate Martin & Ta’Shymen Boyd scored 9 point each, Jatavis Moore, Harrison Fisher 2, while Chris Wright & KoKo Ritchey had 1 point each.
LDHS: Last Friday night the Laurens Raiders hosted the Hillcrest Rams in Region I-AAAA action.
- Girls: Hillcrest 62 – LDHS 22… In the first game of the evening, Laurens managed to keep the game close in the first quarter trailing only 10-7 at its end but the Lady Rams dominated the rest of the game as they took a 62-22 win over the Lady Raiders… Kiya Burnside led the Lady Raiders with 8 points… Others scoring for Laurens were: Nasia Owens 6, Kela Daniels 4, while Jessica Johnson & KC Cofield added 2 each.
- Boys: Hillcrest 61 – LDHS 56… The boys’ game was a showdown between the leaders Region I-AAAA as the once beaten Rams took on Raiders… When the final buzzer sounded the Rams had taken a hard-fought 61-56 win over the Raiders… The two teams battled back and forth all through the game with neither team having more than an 8 point lead at any time… Hillcrest led by one point at the start of the fourth quarter was able to tie or go ahead at least twice in that final period…. Hillcrest’s Tyler Hooker scored 15 of his 25 points in that final quarter of play to lead his team… Davon Boyce had 13 of his game-high 30 points in that final stanza also… Others scoring for the Raiders were: Toby Jackson 8 points, Chuck Johnson & Jordan Sargent 6 points each and both LaDarius Williams & Kezario Whitmore 2 points each… The Raiders will travel to Woodmont on Tuesday to take on the Wildcats.
LDHS: also on Friday night the ninth grade boys’ team and JV teams traveled to Hillcrest to take on the Rams…
- 9th Grade Boys: Hillcrest 39 – LDHS 36… The ninth grade boys team gave a good effort but came up a little short at Hillcrest took a 39-36 win over Laurens… Jalin Walker led the team with 20 points.
- JV Girls: LDHS 42 – Hillcrest 23.
Laurens Academy: Back on Friday Laurens Academy traveled to Glen Forest. Sorry buy all I have is final scores:
- Varsity Girls: LA 63 – GF 13, Boys: LA 51 – GF 33
Local Sports Schedule:
- The Clinton High School Athletic Booster Club will meet today at 5:30 at the new Clinton High School.
- JV Basketball teams host Woodruff 6:00
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start @ 5:00
- Sanders @ Bell Street Red
- Bell Street White at Gray Court-Owings
- Hickory Tavern at Belton
- Laurens Middle @ Belton
- .WLBG: Tuesday night Jan. 21st Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be Thur. Jan 16th as Gray Court-Owings travels to Laurens Middle School… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 11th as the Red Devils play host to the Broome Centurions… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet also at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th08th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.