Local Sports Results:
LDHS: I need to do a little catching up on some JV & 9th grade basketball from last Friday night that I just did not have time to get to yesterday where the raiders hosted the Greenwood Eagles.
- JV Boys: LDHS 50 – GHS 44… The Raiders had 3 players score in double-digits… They were Nick Harvey with 19 points, Brendin Gallamore 15 and D.Q. Floyd with 10…. I believe the team is 9-2 on the season
- JV Girls: LDHS 40 – GHS 37… In action prior to the JV boys game, the Raider JV girls team took a 40-37 win over the Eagles… Malaysia Todd and Tanesha Pinson both scored in double-digits for the Raiders with 11 & 10 points respectively… Ianthea Rice added 9 points, Ke’Ny-ja Spurgeon 5, SynPorsha Long 3 and Asia Cornish 2…. I believe the team is 6-1 on the season
- 9th Grade Boys: GHS 42 – LDHS 39… In the 9th grade boys’ game, it was a close one but Greenwood took the win by 3 points 42-39… Laurens had a chance to take the lead with about 30 sec. left but just could not get the shot to fall… Jalyn Walker had 17 points to lead the Raiders… Quay Covington had 9 points all of which came from behind the 3-point line where he was 3-5 on the night…. The team is now 1-3 on the season
Laurens Academy: Also last Friday the Laurens Academy Middle School teams hosted the Newberry Academy Eagles… The boys team defeated Newberry 30-15 and the Crusaders girls team also took the win by a score of 42-13… Unless I have missed something, LA Middle School girls are undefeated.
College Notes: well we have been so busy with local sports results lately that we have not had any time to mention college basketball so let’s do a little catching up there.
- Men’s Div. I Top 10… Arizona and Syracuse both 18-0 hold down spots 1 & 2 respectively in the AP Poll… Michigan St., Villanova & Wichita St. round out the top 5… Florida, San Diego St., Kansas, Wisconsin & Iowa round out the top 10.
- Women’s Div. I Top 10… Connecticut (19-0) hold down the #1 spot with Notre Dame (16-0) is at #2… Duke, Stanford & Louisville make up the balance of the top 5 in that order… spots 6-10 are held by Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma St, Kentucky & South Carolina.
- ACC Men’s Standings: Syracuse, Pitt, Clemson, Virginia, Duke make up the top 5… Florida state, Maryland, Wake Forest, Notre dame & Miami are 6-10… Tobacco Road is not as dominant as it used to be.
- ACC Women’s Standings… 1-5 are Duke, Notre dame, Maryland, North Carolina & NC State… 6-10 are Miami, Florida St, Syracuse, Georgia tech & Boston College.
- SEC Men’s Standings…. The SEC men’s standings are: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss & Texas A&M make up the top 5… Alabama, LSU, Mississippi St, Missouri & Tennessee are 6-10.
- SEC Women’s Standings… The top 5 are Texas A&M. South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Florida & Kentucky… 6-10 are LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri & Arkansas.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball host Chapman 6:00
- Varsity basketball host TL Hannah 6:00
- 9th grade boys & JV basketball at TL Hannah 5:15
- Middle School basketball host Covenant Classical 4:00
- Varsity basketball host Covenant Classical 6:00
- .WLBG: Tonight Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 24th as the Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th08th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.