Local Sports Results:
CHS: The CHS JV basketball teams traveled to Chapman last night.
- Girls: Clinton 33 – Chapman 27… The Lady Red Devils rallied after being down 16-4 at the half.
- Boys: Clinton 53 – Chapman 50… The boys’ team also had to rally after losing a halftime lead in the 3rd period… The outscored the Panthers 16-8 in the final period to take the win… Coach Eddie Romines said after the game “The key to winning tonight was great defense and hustle in the 4th quarter. We could have quit when Chapman made a run in the 3rd quarter but we made a run of our own in the 4th because we stepped up our defensive intensity…. Ta’Shymen Boyd led the Red Devils with 11 points but Kia Young, Nate Martin and Vee Thompson all added 10 points each for the Red Devils… Jatavis Moore had 6 points, Chris Wright 4 and Koko Richey 2 to round out the scoring for Clinton.
Last night the Raider wrestling team traveled to Easley for a 3-way meet with the Green Wave and the JL Mann Patriots… The Raiders took a 63-9 win over Mann but fell to Easley 43-36… More details on these matches can be found tomorrow at wlbg.com in the posting in Featured Sports section about the wrestling team.
Middle School Basketball
Bell Street Red @ Gray Court-Owings
- Girls: GCO 27 – BSR 21… In the first game at GCO, the GCO girls took a 27-21 win over BSR… The game was close the 1st period but GCO came out in the 2nd period with a trapping press that BSR had problems with to pull away… Turnovers continue to plague the BSR in the 2nd half… Kiara Austin led GCO with 10 points…. Also scoring for the victors were Ruby Childs with 8 points, Jessica Barger 5, and Ana Carcamos with 4… BSR was led by Dianne Martin and Mahogany Simpkins with 5 points each… Zen Gillam & Destiny Fuller had 4 each, Beth Wiggins & Jenevelyn Williams added 2 each ant Nadeva Boyd had 1 point to account for the BSR points.
- Boys: GCO 47 – BSR 44 in OT… The boys’ game at GCO was a great game that had to go to overtime to determine a winner… The game was tied 40 all at the end of regulation and in the overtime GCO outscored BSR 7-4 to take a 47-40 win… Joshua Greene had 5 of his game high 15 points in the OT to lead his team…. BSR trailed 23-15 at the half but came out hot in the 3rd period to get within 2 by the end of the period… From there on until the end of regulation both teams traded baskets with BSR’s Ty Priestly scoring all 7 of his points in the final period and tied the game with 2 free throws to send it to overtime with just 1.7 seconds left in regulation… In addition to Greene’s 15 points, Ryan Dacre had 10 points for GCO… Others scoring for GCO were Tay Anderson with 8, Josh Campbell & Cameren Woody with 6 each 2 points for Kydale Milton to round out the scoring for GCO…. Marquise Wise led BSR with 8 points… Zack James & Priestly had 7 each, Jahleed Cook 5, Taylor Bailey 4, and Zay Hurley 3.
Belton @ Bell Street White
- Girls: Belton 19 – BSW 18… In a very good but close game, BSW girls came up just a little short as Belton took a 19-18 win… The winning points for Belton came on free throws with just about 1:30 left in the game… Amani Grant led her team with 6 points and Corey Nichols chipped in 5.
- Boys: BSW 33 – Belton 22… Now it was better news in the boys’ game as BSW took a 33-22 win…. Kris Holmes led the team with 10 points.
Hickory Tavern @ Laurens Middle
- Girls: LMS 22 – HT 14… The girls’ game at LMS last night went back and forth and was and was not decided until the Lady Tigers outscored the Lady Panthers 9-2 in the final period to take a 22-14 win… Jada Dial led LMS with 7 points… Other scoring for LMS were Kenaja Burnside & Zariel Yeargin 4 points each, Carleigh Owens 3 and with 2 points each Brianna Blakely & Aysha Dorrah… The leading scorer for the Lady Panthers was Heather Graham with 5 points… Other scoring for HT were Anasti Ferguson 4, Josie case 3 & Raylyn Garner 2.
- Boys: LMS 44 – 21… In boys’ action, LMS used strong 2nd & 4th periods to defeated HT 44-21… The Tigers had 2 players in double digits… They were Zay Bennett with 12 and Carson Todd with 11…. Kyshun Barksdale had 9, Ty Rice & Myles Latimer each had 4 while Twon Roberson & Trevor Madden rounded out the scoring for LMS with 2 points each… Nathan Long led the HT Panthers with 10 points… Layton Mahon added 9 and Cameron Koon had 2 to finish the scoring for HT.
Sanders @ Honea Path
- Girls: SMS 32 – HP 20…. The Sanders girls kept their record perfect at 10-0 as they defeated HP 32-20… The game was close until the 4th period when Sanders scored 16 points to take the win… Cali Heisey led Sanders with 18 points.
- Boys: SMS 60 – HP 30… The SMS boys completed the sweep in HP by taking a 60-30 win… Coach Reid said his team shot poorly in the 1st half and only led 24-18 at the break… Obviously the shooting improved in the 2nd half as they pulled away for the win… Connor Dunlap led the team with 13 points and Ty Foster also scored in double digits with 12 points.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball host Union County 6:00
- All basketball teams @ Southside Christian 4:00
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start @ 5:00
Laurens Middle at Bell Street white
Bell Street Red at Belton
Gray Court-Owings at Sanders
Honea Path at Hickory Tavern
- .WLBG: Tuesday night Jan. 21st Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 24th as the Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.