Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Clinton JV basketball teams hosted Union County last night
- Girls: CHS 30 – UC 17… The Lady Red Devils picked up their 4th win in a row.
- Boys: CHS 52 – UC 46… The boys JV team bettered their record to 7-4 (3-2) with a 52-46 win over Union County… After the game Coach Eddie Romines said” We played much better on defense in the second half and that enabled us to pull ahead and win the game. I am extremely proud of my team, they are working hard and getting better every game.”… Ta’Shymen Boyd led the team with 17 points…. Kia Young had 8 while Nate Martin, Vee Thompson and Harrison Fisher all had 7 points each… Chris Wright rounded out the scoring with 6 points.
Laurens Academy: All 4 Crusader basketball teams traveled to Greenville last night to take on the Southside Christian Sabers.
- Boys: SSC 62 – LA 49
- Girls: SSC 42 – LA 19
- MS Boys: SSC 53 – LA 16
- MS Girls: LA 32 – SSC 6… The LA middle school girls remain undefeated!
Middle School Basketball
Laurens Middle @ Bell Street White
- Girls: BSW 26 – LMS 10… The BSW girls picked up their 9th win of the season as they defeated LMS 26-10… Alyssa Abercrombie had 15 points for the victors… Sydney Fisher added 8 for BSW…. Jada Dial led LMS with 6 points… Ayesha Dorrah had the other 4 points for LMS.
- Boys: BSW 34 – LMS 32 in OT… In the 2nd game at the old GHS gym, BRW boys took a 34-32 win but they had to go to overtime to do it… The score was tied 28 all at the end of regulation and Jaquan Davis had the winning baskets with 7 seconds left on the clock… Sincere Hunt had 12 points to lead BSW… Shimeek Gaskins added 9 points for BSR… Ty Rice led all scorers scoring 21 points for LMS… Carson Todd added 7 & Kyshun Barksdale 4 to round out the scoring for LMS
Bell Street Red @ Belton
- Girls: Belton 43 – BSR 14… In the 1st game at Belton, the BSR girls fell by a score of 43-14… Dianne Martin led her team with 8 points… Sarah Olivia Stevens had 4 and Mahogany Simpkins added 2 to round out the scoring.
- Boys: BSR 51-44 in OT… For the 2nd night in a row the BSR boys’ team was involved in an overtime game… On Wed. night they lost to GCO 47-44 but last night was a different story as they took a 51-44 overtime win at Belton… The Wildcats were down by 15 in the 4th period but tied the game at 36 all to send it to overtime… BSR had 2 players scoring in double digits… They were Zay Hurley with 20 points and Ty Priestly with 18… Also scoring for BSR were Jalheed Cook with 9 and Zack James with 2… mark Wise had 3 blocked shots and 3 steals.
Gray Court-Owings @ Sanders
- Girls: Sanders 29 – GCO 19… The Sanders girls kept their perfect season record intact as they took a 29-19 win over GCO… Calie Heisey had 21 points for Sanders to be the leading scorer in the game…Jessica Barger & Makayla Childs both had 6 points to be the leading scorers for GCO
- Boys: GCO 45 – Sanders 43… In the boys’ game, GCO turned the tables and took a 45-43 win over Sanders… Sanders led by double digits in the 3rd period but GCO fought back to take the win… Josh Campbell had the winning shoot for GCO with about 3 seconds left… Both teams played well but missed free throws down the stretch hurt Sanders… Josh Greene was the leading scorer for GCO with11 points while Campbell finished with 10… Ryan Dacre had 8 points for GCO… Troy Dendy had 17 of Sanders points and Jay Kennedy had had 10.
Honea Path @ Hickory Tavern
- Girls: HP 24 – HT 4… Raylyn Garner had all 4 HT points.
- Boys: HP 43 – HT 42 in OT… In the final game at HT, the HT boys came as close as you could without winning as they lost 43-42 in OT to HP… Layton Mahon led HT in scoring with 16 points
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Union 6:00 Can be heard on Sports radio 1410 WPCC
- Varsity basketball host Westside 6:00 Can be heard on real Radio 860 WLBG
- Fri. & Sat.: Varsity wrestling in Sumter
- Sat. JV & middle school wrestlers at Lexington HS
- Today: all basketball teams host WW King
- Saturday: Boys only, host east Dayton Christian 1:00
- .WLBG: tonight Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Westside rams… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be Thur. Jan 30th as Gray Court-Owings travels to Hickory Tavern… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball tonight as the Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.