CHS: The JV basketball teams hosted the Chester Cyclones last night and the results were:
- Girls: Clinton 35 – Chester 11
- Boys: Chester 52 – Clinton 47… Clinton trailed by 3 at the half as Chester slowly pulled away in the final 2 periods to take the win… The Red Devils had 3 players scoring in double-digits… They were Kia Young with 12, Harrison Fisher with 11 and Ta’Shymen Boyd with 10… Also scoring for Clinton were Vee Thompson 9, Nate Martin & Jatavis Moore 2 each and KOKO Richey 1.
Laurens Academy: The Laurens Academy Crusaders hosted Anderson Christian
- Boys: LA 68 – AC 47
- Girls: AC 50 – LA 43
- MS Boys: LA 27 – AC 17
- MS Girls: LA 33 – AC 8… The middle school girls remain undefeated.
Middle School Basketball
Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street Red
- Girls: HT 19 – BSR 16… The HT girls’ team picked up their first win of the season last night as they defeated BSR 19-16… Bell Street Red’s Coach Yates started her 7th grade team and they got so far behind it was hard for the normal starters to catch back up… Josie Case was the high scorer for HT with 15 points… 12 of those points came from behind the 3 point arch… Destiny Fuller led BSR with 8 points… Dianne Martin added 4 points, Mahogany Simpkins 3 and Adaline Stephens 2 for BSR.
- Boys: BSR 54- HT 14…. In the 2nd game at the old CHS gym, the BSR boys took a 54-14 win over HT… BSR led from start to finish and held HT scoreless in the final period… Zack James and Zay Hurley led the BSR attack with 9 points each… Jahleed Cook had 7 and all the BSR players that had the chance to play scored… Layton Mahon led HT with 4 points… Devon Hubner, Tyreke Foggie and Cameron Koon each had 2 points for HT… Nathan Long kicked in the final point for HT.
Bell Street White @ Sanders
- Girls: Sanders 33 – BSW 22… The Sanders girls kept their record perfect and wrapped up the Little River Girls Championship with a 33-22 win over BSW… Cali Heisey led Sanders with 21 points… Alyssa Abercrombie led BSW with 9…Sydney Fisher ha 5 for BSW…. Congratulation to the Sanders girls.
- Boys: BSW 42 – Sanders 35… In the boys contest, BSW secures the Little River Boys Championship with a 42-35 win over Sanders… After the game, Coach Josh Hallman said he was proud of the way his team played with a lot of heart all season… Shimeek gaskins and Kris Holmes both scored in double digits for BSW with 16 & 11 points respectively… King Price added 8 points and Sincere Hunt 7 for BSW… No scoring details available for Sanders.
Honea Path @ Gray Court-Owings
- Girls: HP 23 – GCO 22… In the 1st game last night at GCO, the visitors from HP trailed most of the night but rallied in the 4th period outscoring GCO 5-2 to take a 23-22 win over the Lady Tigers… L. Wilson of HP led all scorers with 10 points… Ruby Childs led GCO with 9 points… Ana Carcamus added 5 for GCO while Kiara Austin and Jessica Burger each had 4 points each for HT.
- Boys: GCO 56 – HP 29… GCO and HP battled to a 9-9 tie at the end of the 1st period last night but in the 2nd period GCO’s Joshua Greene had 18 of his game high 22 points to give GCO a lead they never relinquished as they went on to post a 56-29 win over HP… In that 2nd period, 12 of Greene’s 18 points came from behind the 3-point line… Kydale Milton added 8 points for HT, Cameron Woody 6, Tay Anderson 5, Cameron Hill, Ryan Dacre & Edwin Diaz had 4 points each while Josh Campbell rounded out the GCO scoring with 3 points.
Laurens Middle @ Belton
- Girls: Belton 24 – LMS 10… In girls’ action at Belton, Belton took a 24-10 win over LMS… Jada Dial was the leading scorer for LMS with 4 points.
- Boys: LMS 33 – Belton 32… In the boys game there is better news for LMS fans as LMS took 33-32 win over Belton… Carson Todd led LMS with 9 points.
This & That:
- Laurens New Football Coach… Other media outlet in the area including Channel 7 WSPA TV are reporting that Chris Liner currently the coach at Ninety Six High School was approved by the board of trustees last night to replace Greg Lawson as Head Football Coach at LDHS… The only thing I know for sure is that there is a press conference called for this morning at LDHS to announce the new head coach… Check back later today for an update on this story.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Chester has been postponed until Wednesday (tomorrow) weather permitting.
- Varsity basketball host JL Mann 6:00
- C team & JV basketball @ JL Mann 5:00
- All teams @ Northside Christian
- WLBG: Tuesday night February 4th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Woodmont Wildcats… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be Thur. Jan 30th as Gray Court-Owings travels to Hickory Tavern… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 21st as the Red Devils host the Woodruff Wolverines… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.