Local Sports Results: Well the weather caused the cancellation of all local high school sporting events last night and with the cancellation of school today in the local school districts and at Laurens Academy I don’t foresee and events taking place tonight… At the present time I do not know the make-up dates for all the games cancelled last night but one thing you can count on, as soon as I know – you’ll know… However there was 1 local college game that took place last night and one story coming out of LDHS.
Men’s basketball: High Point 81 – PC 74… William Truss posted a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds and went a perfect 10-for-10 from the floor for the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team last night, but the Blue Hose could not stop a hot-shooting High Point Panthers team that took an 81-74 victory from PC at Templeton Center… PC trailed 33-41 at the half and cut into the High Point lead in the 2nd half but every time they got close, the Panthers would respond with a run of their own…PC moves to 4-18 on the year and 0-7 in the Big South Conference. The Blue Hose will next head to VMI for a Saturday night tilt at 7 p.m.
Chris Liner Introduced as New Raider Football Coach… In a press conference yesterday at LDHS, Athletic Director Mark Freeze introduced Chris Liner as the new head football coach at LDHS… Liner comes to LDHS from Ninety Six High School where he has spent the last 6 seasons as head football coach for the Wildcats… He has compiled a 43-26 record while there guiding his team to the playoffs each year… This past season his team went 9-3 and made it into the 3rd round of the playoffs… Prior coming to his tenure at Ninety Six, the Greenwood native served as an assistant at Greenwood High… He is married to Meredith Buchanan a Laurens native and they have 2 children, Emma age 7 and Cade age 10… Now if you check the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com you will find 2 videos of the press conference yesterday.
Local Sports Schedule: All cancelled due to weather concerns.
- WLBG: Tuesday night February 4th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Woodmont Wildcats… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be Thur. Jan 30th as Gray Court-Owings travels to Hickory Tavern… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 21st as the Red Devils host the Woodruff Wolverines… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.