Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Clinton JV basketball teams had their first of 3 home dates this week last night as they hosted the Broome Centurions…
- Girls: CHS 31 – BHS 21… In the first game, the Lady Red Devils picked up their 6th win in a row as they defeated Broome 31-20… Sorry no other details.
- Boys: CHS 47 – BHS 37… The JV boys’ team completed the sweep of Broome with a 47-37 win to pick their 8th win of the season… They led 26-15 at the half and were never really challenged after that… Coach Eddie Romines stated after the game “We hustled on defense and moved the ball rapidly up the floor which helped us to shoot the ball really well… When we didn’t score off of a fast break we did a good job of setting up, running our offense, and playing unselfish by passing the ball to the open man… We played super zone defense and rebounded pretty good as a team”… The Red Devils had 2 players scoring in double-digits… They were Kia Young with 14 points and Ta’Shymen Boyd with 11… Nate Martin, Vee Thompson & Jatavis Moore all had 6 points each… Harrison Fisher had 2 points and Chris Wright 1 to round out the scoring for Clinton.
- Region Tournament: Last Saturday the Laurens Raider Wrestling Team traveled to Woodmont H.S. for the Region I-AAAA tournament… Laurens finished 2nd to powerhouse Hillcrest… Any Raider wrestler who finished 5th or better has qualified for the AAAA Upperstate Meet which will be February 21st and 22nd at LDHS… You can get complete results for the Raiders in this tournament at wlbg.com in the Featured Sports section where there is a posting with all the results & schedule.
- Ryan Hughes Picks up Two Honors… First, Ryan Hughes made the All-Region Team for his performance finishing #1 in his weight class… Also it was announced yesterday that he was selected as the 182 lb. representative for the North 4A/1A team to compete at the North/South All-Star Wrestling Classic on February 7th and 8th at North Myrtle Beach High School…. Congratulations to Ryan!!!
Laurens Academy: The Laurens Academy Crusaders hosted the Panthers of Mead Hall last night.
- Boys: LA 75 – MH 35… In boys’ action, the Crusaders picked up their 17th win of the season as they defeated Mead Hall 75-35.
- Girls: LA 48 – MH 28… in the game prior to the boys’ game, the lady Crusaders picked up their 11th win of the season as they defeated MH 48-28
Middle School Basketball: In the final games of the middle school basketball season the Laurens Middle School Tigers and Sanders Middle School Yellow Jackets got together last night at LDHS.
- Girls: SMS 20 – LMS 12… In the first game of the evening the Sanders girls kept their season perfect as they took a 20-12 win over LMS… Sanders outscored Laurens 6-0 in the first period and that put the Lady Tigers in hole they just could not get out off though they never stopped trying… Cali Heisey led the Yellow Jackets with 11 points… Alexus Espinosa added 5 points and both Hannah Finley & Jada Turner had 5 points each to round out Sanders scoring… Jada Dial led the Lady Tigers with 6 points… Scoring 2 points each for Laurens were Aysha Dorrah, ZaAriel Yeargin and Portland Wallace…. The Lady Tigers finish their season 3-11.
- Boys: SMS 47 – LMS 35… In the boys’ game, Sanders completed the sweep of LMS with a 47-35 win… The score was 25-18 Sanders at the half but the Tigers kept battling and each time they made a run, Sanders would answer… Sanders switched to a 1-2-2 half-court press at the start of the 3rd period and started to pull away but Laurens regrouped and closed to within 4 points before Sanders pulled away for good… Sanders had 3 players scoring in double-digits… They Troy Dendy with 13 and with 11 points each Ty Foster and Justin Anderson… Connor Dunlap had 9 and jay Kennedy 3 to round out the scoring for Sanders… Sanders finishes the year with an 11-3 record… Tye Rice led the Tigers in scoring with 12 points… Zay Bennett added 9, Carson Todd 8, Trevor Madden 5, Kyshun Barksdale 2 and Aaron McCloud 1…. The LMS boys finish the season 6-8
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Broome 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball host Woodmont 6:00 / 7:30
- C team & JV basketball @ Woodmont 5:00 / 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball host Glenn Forest 6:00 / 7:30
- MS Girls host Carolina Chargers
- WLBG: Tonight Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Woodmont Wildcats… Then tomorrow night they will bring you the postponed game between the Raiders and the JL Mann Patriots…They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Feb. 7th as the Red Devils travel to Chapman to take on the Panthers… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.