Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Red Devils traveled to Spartanburg last night to take on the Broome Centurions
- Girls: BHS 39 – CHS 32… The Lady Red Devils went into their game at Broome knowing what they had to do – slow down the region’s leading scorer Jada Wallace who is averaging over 30 points per game… Wallace got 9 points in the 1st period as Broome jumped to a 13-6 lead at the end of one quarter of play before going on to take a 39-32 win…Clinton’s defense led by Bredaisha Walls and Ticambrius Copeland did slow her down the remainder of the game limiting her to just 10 additional points but could just not pull off the win due to too many missed shots… Coach Wofford said after the game “Our girls did a great job of executing the game plan that we gave them and if we were able to convert some of the easy shots that we missed we would have been able to pull the upset off. Nobody else on our region has been able to slow her down and we did a good job of making them play our type of game. We now must take this and build on it as we play Chester tomorrow night”… Trevoria Dendy led the Lady Devils with 8 points… KT Speaks had 7, Queena Cunningham 6, Maleaka Neal 5, Noelia Leake 4 and Bredaisha Walls 2.
- Boys: CHS 58 – BHS 50… Now it was better news for Red Devil fans in the boys’ contest as Clinton took a 58-50 win… It was a 1 point ball game at the end of the first quarter and Clinton only led 34-29 at the half… The two teams went back and forth with Broome only able to cut the lead by 1 before Clinton went on to take the win… Coach Todd Frazier said “it was a big win on the road… We have another one (tonight) against region leading Chester”… Shakiyl Smiley was the only Red Devils scoring in double-digits with 12 points… Nike Davis had 9, Shakeam Dowdy 8, Tymori Tribble & Dee Goggins 7 each, Ian Kinard & Tay Cook 6 each and 3 points for Jay Fuller…. The Red Devils will be at Chester tonight in a make-up game for the one delayed by weather last week.
LDHS: The Raiders played host to the Woodmont Wildcats last night in Region 1-AAAA action.
- Girls: WHS 61 – LDHS 24…. In the first game at LDHS last night, the Lady Wildcats took a 61-24 win over the Lady Raiders… Laurens scored the first 2 points of the game but that was short-lived as Woodmont held them scoreless the rest of the quarter… The Lady Raiders had trouble with the Woodmont press which created numerous turnover and more often than no resulted in points for the Wildcats… Woodmont also took advantage of a significant heath advantage over Laurens and exploited that scoring points from the inside and controlling the boards… Nasia Owens led Laurens in scoring with 7 points… Also scoring were KC Cofield with 5 points, 3 points each for Kela Daniels & Kiya Burnside and 2 points each for Bre Nance and Laura Jackson.
- Boys: WHS 68 – LDHS 59… In the boys’ game, the # 6 ranked Wildcats came in with an 18-1 record and on top of the region with a 10 game winning streak… When the game was over they had a 19-1 record and an 11 game winning streak as they defeated Laurens 61-59… The two teams battled back and forth and Laurens led briefly in 1st & 2nd period but Woodmont held a slim 29-27 lead at the half… The Raiders again made a run at the Wildcats in the 3rd period and briefly led but the Wildcats came back to take a 46-41 lead going into the final period… In the final period Woodmont made the free throws they needed as the Raiders were forced to foul and the Raiders had trouble getting shots to fall… Davon Boyce had 18 points to lead the Raiders and Chuck Johnson added 11… Chris Statom had 8, Jordan Sargent 7, Kezario Whitmore 6, Toby Jackson5 and 2 each by Nicholas Leake & LaDarius Williams… The Raider varsity basketball teams will host JL Mann tonight in a makeup of the game postponed by weather last week.
Laurens Academy: The final varsity action last night had the Laurens Academy Crusaders hosting Glenn Forest
- Boys: LA 56 – GF 32… The Crusaders picked up their 18th win of the season!
- Girls: LA 73 – GF 14… This gives the girls a 3 game winning streak
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball @ Chester 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball host JL Mann 6:00 / 7:30
- Wrestling @ Woodruff vs. Woodruff & Blue Ridge.
- WLBG: Tonight Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the JL Man Patriots in a make-up game… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Feb. 7th as the Red Devils travel to Chapman to take on the Panthers… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.