Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Red Devils traveled to Chester to make up a game with the Cyclones that was postponed due to weather about a week ago…
- Girls: Chester: 55 – Clinton 47… In girls’ action, the Lady Red Devils fell 55-47…. Clinton fell behind in the 1st quarter as Chester built a 17 point lead in the 2nd quarter before Clinton cut it to 13 at the half 27-14…. The 3rd quarter was back and forth and the Lady Red Devils were behind 14 heading into the fourth…. In the fourth. Clinton turned up the defensive intensity and drove the ball to the basket on the offensive end making baskets and drawing fouls cutting the lead to 6 at one point… Foul shots were the downfall for the Lady Red Devils as they were 10-25 in the 4th quarter alone and 16-34 for the game… Coach Wofford stated after the game “Chester manhandled us on the boards and the missed free throws were the difference in the game… We still have not played a complete game yet and that is something we are going to have to do in these last two games… Maleaka Neal had 10 points to lead Clinton’s offense… Trevoria Dendy & Queena Cunningham each added 8 points, KT Speaks had 5 and DeNasha Floyd, Ticambrius Copeland, Noelia Leake & Bredaisha Walls each had 4 points to round out Clinton’s scoring
- Boys: Chester 59 – Clinton 49… Sorry but no details available at this time on this game… The Red Devils will be on the road this Friday night as they travel to Chapman
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders also made up weather delayed game last night as they hosted the Patriots of JL Mann
- Girls: JLM 42 – LDHS 39… In the first game the Lady Patriots took a 42-33 win over the Lady Raiders… JL Mann led 20-15 at the half and stretched the lead to as many as 10 points in the third quarter… Laurens cut the lead to 3 points with 3:12 left in the third quarter but Mann responded extending the lead back to five going into the last quarter… The Lady Patriots ran the lead back up to 12 points early in the final quarter but Laurens was able to cut it to the final margin of 9 points… Missed free throws and not being able to get good shots to fall proved to be the undoing of the Lady Raiders… Kiya Burnside led Laurens with 9 points… Also scoring for the Lady Raiders were Kela Daniels with 8 points, Jessica Johnson & Bre Nance 6 each and KC Cofield & Nasia Owens grounded out the scoring with 2 points each.
- Boys: JLM 62 – LDHS 56… In boys action it was a game that was not decided until the final minute of play but in the end the Patriots took a 60-56 win over the Raiders…Mann led 15-7 at the end of the first quarter but Laurens came back to take 826-22 lead at the half… The two teams traded the lead back and forth remainder of the game and the score was tied 56 all with 56 seconds left to play… Laurens then missed an opportunity take the lead from the free-throw line and allowed a Patriot player to get behind the defense and scored easily… The Raiders then missed a couple of short shots and were forced to foul where Mann made 2 free throws to seal the win… The Raiders had three players scoring in double digits… They were Davon Boyce with 13 points, Kezario Whitmore 12 and LaDarius Williams with 10… Also scoring were Chris Statom 9, Toby Jackson 7 and Chuck Johnson 3… The Raider varsity basketball teams will travel to Simpsonville this Friday night to take on the Hillcrest Rams.
Three Raiders Sign on National Signing Day
- Yesterday at noon three Raider athletes signed to further their athletic careers and education at in-state universities… The Raiders softball team had to seniors to sign… They were Elizabeth Carman who signed with North Greenville University and Jordan Henderson who signed with Newberry College… Daniel Cooper was the third Raider to sign and he also signed with Newberry College to play football… Later on this evening if you look in the Between the Lines section on our homepage WLBG.com you will find a posting with video interviews with all three of these young people.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball teams host Chapman 6:00
- C-team & JV basketball @ JL Mann 5:00
- WLBG: On February 14th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Greenwood Eagles in the final games of the regular season… Then on Wednesday they will bring you the postponed game between the Raiders and the JL Mann Patriots…They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Feb. 7th as the Red Devils travel to Chapman to take on the Panthers… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.