Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Clinton Red devils traveled to Chapman in important Region 3 – AAA games.
- Girls: Chapman 52 – Clinton 45…. For the first three quarters of this game, the Lady Red Devils offense missed too many lay-ups and good shots while the Lady Panthers were able to pound the ball inside and control the boards as the Chapman led 26-10 at the half in route to a 52-45 win… The 2 teams played to almost a draw in the 3rd quarter but Clinton’s offense and defense both stepped up their play in the final quarter as they outscored Chapman by 8 but the whole created in the first half of play was just too much to climb out of… Maleaka Neal led the Lady Devils with 18 points… Noelia Leake & Trevoria Dendy each scored 6 points, KT Speaks had 5 and with 2 points each were DeNaishia Floyd, Chyna Davis and Bredaisha Walls…. The Lady Devils are now 8-14 overall and 3-6 in region play.
- Boys: Chapman 81 – Clinton 78… In the boys’ game, Nike Davis tied the game at 78 all with 14 seconds left in the game but the Panthers managed to pull out an 81-78 win as they hit 3-point shot (their 18th of the game) just as the buzzer sounded… It was a game that went back and forth all night long with Chapman holding a 10 point lead midway of the 2nd quarter but Clinton came back to tie it 35 all at the half… Clinton led by 7 with about 3 minutes left in the game when Chapman started their comeback… Clinton also had trouble from the free throw line as they shot less than 43% which aided the panther comeback… The Red Devils had 4 players scoring in double digits… They were Nike Davis with 22, Tay Cook with 21, Ian Kinard with 11 and Shakiyl Smiley with 10… RJ Robinson added 7 and Tymori Tribble 5… The team is now 10-13 on the season and 5-4 in Region 3-AAA play…. Clinton is scheduled to host Union County in the final games of the regular season tomorrow night weather permitting.
- JV Girls: Clinton 31 – Woodruff 23… Played at Woodruff
- JV Boys: Clinton 71 – Woodruff 36… The Red Devils led 22-12 at the end of the 1st quarter and never looked back… Coach Eddie Romine stated” We were able to generate a lot of points off of our defense. Our defensively intensity was great, especially in the second half. We played very good defense tonight by rebounding well and making several steals… Our team has continued to improve and we have been able to develop a deep bench… This has really been evident the last two games… All 12 players scored last night (Thursday) and 11 players scored tonight. Everyone gave great effort tonight! I am really proud of my team! The team had 2 players scoring in double digits… They were Junior Johnston- 21 and Kiah Young- 15… Also scoring were Ta’Shymen Boyd- 8, Nate Martin- 7, Chris Wright- 6, Vee Thompson- 4 and Harrison Fisher-3… Jatavis Moore, Xarrius Choice and George Rice all scored 2 points each while Koko Richey rounded out the scoring with 1.
LDHS: Meanwhile last Friday night the Laurens Raiders went up I-385 to face the tough Hillcrest Rams
- Girls: HHS 63 – LDHS 38… In the first game of the night up at Hillcrest, the Lady Rams took a 63-38 win over the Lady Raiders… The story for Laurens was pretty much the same as in most of their games lately, too many turnovers and inability to get shots to fall… Kela Daniels was the only Raider to score in double digits with 10 points… Kiya Burnside had 8 while both Jessica Johnson and Nasia Owens had 3 points each… Tiesha Jones and Bre Nance rounded out the scoring with 2 points each… The Lady Raiders are now 1-17 on the season and 0-12 in region action.
- Boys: HHS 73 – LDHS 57… In the 2nd game at Hillcrest, the Raiders fell for the 4th time in a row as Hillcrest took a 73-57 win… The Raiders found themselves trailing 22-8 at the end of the first quarter of play in what can be called a very physical game last Friday… However, they fought back and pulled to within 4 at the half as the Rams led 38-34… The Rams stretched the lead back to 7 (59-52) as the teams entered the final quarter of play… The Raiders found themselves forced to foul and the Rams made the needed free throws to seal the win…. Davon Boyce led Laurens with 21 points going 6-6 from the charity stripe… Kezario Whitmore added 16 points and Chris Statom 10 points to give the Raiders 3 players in double digits… Chuck Johnson and Jordan Sargent added 3 each while Ladarius Williams and Toby Jackson rounded out the Raider scoring with 2 points each… The Raiders now stand 11-11 on the season while they fall to 5-7 in region play… Due to impending bad weather tomorrow, all games with TL Hannah have been moved up to today which means the varsity will be on the road tonight while the C-team and JVs will be at home.
Laurens Academy: In the final varsity games to report on from last Friday, Laurens Academy traveled to Newberry Academy…
- Boys: LA 54 – NA 52 in OT… The Crusaders wrapped up their 2nd consecutive SCISA Region-2A Championship with a 54 -52 win over NA in overtime… Chase Brewington hit the game winner with 3 seconds left in the overtime and led the Crusaders with 28 points… Samuel Moore & Matthew Urwick had 9 points each for the crusaders… Robert Williams & Nathan Tyson added 4 each…. The team is 20-5 on the season and 15-0 in region play.
- Girls: NA 38 – LA 29
- MS Boys: NA 31 – LA 30 in 2 OT
- MS Girls: LA 33 – NA 7… The middle school girls finish the regular season with a perfect record of 21-0… Congratulations to them on this feat!
Local Sports Schedule:
- JVs at Union County 6:00
- Varsity at TL Hannah 6:00
- C-team & JV host TL Hannah 5:00
- Varsity at Mead Hall 6:00
- WLBG: On Friday night February 14th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Greenwood Eagles… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.