Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Red Devil JV basketball teams closed out their season last night as they traveled to Union County to take on the Yellow Jackets..
- Girls: CHS 30 – UCHS 22… The JV girls won their 9th game in a row and finish the season 11-5 overall and 8-2 in region play
- Boys: CHS 46 – UCHS 40… The JV boys finish their season 11-5 overall also and 7-3 in region play which gave them 2nd place in the region.… Coach Eddie Romine stated afterward” It is great to end the season with a win! It was a very physical game… However, we played hard and kept our composure… We played a great 1st quarter by jumping out to a 13-0 lead… Union battled back to take a 1 point lead in the 2nd but we led at the half…. We played great defense most of the game, especially in the 3rd quarter… We rebounded well on defense and were able to grab several offensive rebounds… Most of the time on offense we were patient and made the extra pass to find the open man… We especially did this in the 4th quarter and built the lead up to 12 and were able to win by eight… We had a great season! It was a lot of fun! I am proud of the guys! It was an honor to coach them!” The Red Devils had 3 players scoring in double digits… They were Nate Martin with 13. Harrison Fisher with 12 and Ta’Shymen Boyd with 10… Also scoring were Jatavis Moore with 7, Vee Thompson 5 and Kiah Young with 1.
LDHS: The varsity basketball teams traveled to TL Hannah last night to take on the Yellow Jackets and get a jump on the weather while the C-team & JVs hosted TL Hannah
- Varsity boys: TLH 72 – LDHS 65…. In the boys’ game, the 2 teams fought to a 29-29 tie at the half but Hannah took the lead in the 3rd quarter outscoring Laurens 23-16 and then went on to tale a 72-65 win… In the critical 3rd quarter, Hannah’s Brevin Galloway scored 13 of his game high 27 points and then hit 6 key free throws in the final period top seal the win… Davon Boyce led Laurens with 18 points and also scoring in double digits for the Raiders were Jordan Sargent with 14 and Toby Jackson with 12… Kezario Whitmore added 9, Chuck Johnson 8 and both E’Nicholas Leaks & Chris Statom had 2 each.
- Varsity girls: TLH 63 – LDHS 30… In girls action at TL Hannah, the Lady Yellow Jackets took a 63-30 win over the Lady Raiders…Hannah was able to control the boards and got a lot of put-backs while denying the Raiders the same… Turnovers and poor shooting were again problems for Laurens… Bre Nance was the only player in double digits for the Lady Raiders with 10 points… Nasia Owens had 5, while Laura Jackson & Kela Daniels had 3 each… Michaela Evans added 2 and Tiesha Jones had 1.
- C-team boys: TLH 33 – LDHS 25….Quay Covington had 9 points and John Rayford had 8 as the Raiders lost to the Yellow Jackets
- JV boys: TLH 41 – LDHS 39… Brendin Gallamore had 15 points and Braylin McBeth 9 for the Raiders.
- JV girls: LDHS 20 – TLH 15… Ke’ny-ja Spurgeon had 8 points and Malaysia Todd 5
Laurens Academy: The Crusader varsity teams traveled to mead hall tonight while the Middle School teams were involved in Middle School Tournament action at Wardlaw.
- Varsity Boys: LA 79 – MH 30
- Varsity Girls: LA 53 – MH 38
- MS Boys: Newberry 21 – LA 13
- MS Girls: LA 42 – Newberry 10…. The girls remain undefeated at 22-0 and advance to region finals
Local Sports Schedule: Most likely all games cancelled due to school being out and the weather
- WLBG: On Friday night February 14th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Greenwood Eagles… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number. If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.