The bad weather caused all the local schools to be closed yesterday and today so there were no athletic contests last night or tonight… I do have some information on make-up dates for some of the canceled events.
Union County at Clinton varsity Basketball… The varsity basketball games scheduled for last night where the Red Devils of CHS were to host the Union County Yellow Jackets has been rescheduled for Saturday (Feb. 15) – starting at 1:00 PM
SCISA Region 2-A Tournament… The Laurens Academy Crusader varsity basketball squads were to have started their participation in the SCISA (South Carolina Independent School Association) Region 2-A Tournament but that has now been pushed back to Friday and Saturday of this week… On Friday at Newberry College the #1 ranked Crusader boys team will close out first round boys’ tournament action about 9:30 P.M. when they face off against #8 Northside Crusaders… Then on Saturday the first round of the girls tournament will be held at Laurens Academy.. That afternoon at 1:00 P.M. the # 4 ranked Lady Crusaders are now scheduled to start the tournament action as they take on the #5 ranked Mead Hall Lady Panthers… The winners of the first round games on Friday and Saturday will then advance to the second round games which will be played at Newberry Academy on Monday and the finals are to be held at Glenn Forest on Tuesday… Of course all of this is tentative based on what the weather does the next couple of days… You can see the entire schedule of SCISA Region 2-A tournaments below.
Boys at Newberry College on Friday 2/14
5:00 P.M. Glenforest #4 vs Wardlaw #5
6:30 P.M. Anderson Christian #3 vs Covenant #6
8:00 P.M. Newberry #2 vs W.W. King #7
9:30 P.M. Laurens #1 vs Northside #8
Girls at Laurens Academy on Saturday 2/15
1:00 P.M. Laurens #4 vs Mead Hall #5
2:30 P.M. Anderson Christian #3 vs Wardlaw #6
4:00 P.M. W.W. King #2 vs Covenant #7
5:30 P.M. Newberry #1 vs Northside #8
Semi-Finals at Newberry Academy on Monday 2/17
4:00 P.M. Girls W.W. King/Covington Winner vs Anderson Chr./Wardlaw Winner
5:30 P.M. Boys Newberry/W.W. King Winner vs Anderson Chr./Covenant Winner
7:00 P.M. Girls Newberry/Northside winner vs Laurens/Mead Hall Winner
8:30 P.M. Boys Laurens/Northside Winner vs Glenforest/Wardlaw Winner
Finals at Glenforest on Tuesday 2/18
4:00 P.M. Girls Middle School Championship
5:15 P.M. Boys Middle School Championship
6:30 P.M. Middle School Awards
6:45 P.M. Girls Varsity Championship
8:15 P.M. Boys Varsity Championship
9:45 P.M. Varsity awards
PC Softball… The PC softball team was to open their home schedule with a doubleheader with Georgia State today at 2:00 PM… Those games have now been rescheduled for Sunday March 9th and first pitch will be at 1 PM.
Local Sports Results: Now we do have a little catching up to do on C-team and JV action involving the LDHS Raiders from Monday night that I just did not have time to get to…. On Monday night they Raiders hosted the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets in their next to last games of the season.
- C-team boys: TLH 33 – LDHS 25….In the first game at LDHS Monday night the TL Hannah defeated Laurens 33-25… Quay Covington had 9 points and John Rayford had 8 to lead the Raiders in scoring
- JV boys: TLH 41 – LDHS 39… The JV boys battled hard in their game but fell by 2 as the Yellow jackets took a 41-39 win… Brendin Gallamore had 15 points and Braylin McBeth 9 for the Raiders.
- JV girls: LDHS 20 – TLH 15… The Raider JV girls managed to keep the Yellow Jackets from sweeping the Raiders as they took a 20-15 win… Ke’ny-ja Spurgeon had 8 points and Malaysia Todd 5 to be the top 2 scorers for the Raiders…
- All 3 teams are scheduled to close out their season this Friday when they travel to Greenwood to take on the Eagles with the C-team scheduled to tipoff at 5:00 PM.
- Notre Dame 68 – Clemson 64 – 2 OT… In case you missed it last night, the Clemson men’s basketball team made its first ever trip to South Bend to take on the fighting Irish… It took them 2 overtimes to do it but the Irish took a 68-64 win over the Tigers… The Tigers rallied to tie the game at 54 all at the end of regulation after being down by as many as 7 points in the 2nd half… The Tigers also rallied from being 4 points down in the 1st OT to tie the game 60-60 but the Irish’s Steve Vasturia hit two 3-point shots in the 2nd overtime to put the Tigers away… Clemson’s K.J. McDaniels had a career high 30 points and 14 rebounds in the losing effort… Clemson is now 15-8 overall and 6-5 in ACC play… The Tigers return home to face 16th-ranked Virginia on Saturday at 12 p.m. in Littlejohn Coliseum
Local Sports Schedule: All events canceled due to schools being closed.
Broadcast Reminder: WLBG: On Friday night February 14th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Greenwood Eagles… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.