Well the weather continues to take its toll on sporting events across the south… Here are a few of the latest changes I could find around the state due to the weather.
USC Men’s Basketball… The University of South Carolina men’s basketball team was suppose to host the Vanderbilt Commodores last night at the Colonial Life Arena… Well that that game was postponed until today at 4:00 PM… Since ESPN is unable to carry the game today USC officials announced yesterday that it will be streamed live GamecocksOnline.com… Best news is that it will be free… They will stream what will be streamed on the Colonial Live Arena videoboard and have the audio of the radio play-by-play.
PC Softball… Well not only did yesterday’s home opener for PC softball get postponed but yesterday it was announced that the Buffalo Wild Wings Spartan Invitational Tournament which was to run Friday thru Sunday will now only be a 2 day tournament that will start on Saturday and be cut to two days… PC is now scheduled to start their participation at 1:00 pm on Saturday when they face George Masson… You can find the complete tournament schedule at www.GoBlueHose.com.
USC Baseball… The Gamecocks were to kick off their baseball season with a home contest against Bucknell on Friday but that has been pushed back Saturday as part of a doubleheader….
College Baseball Rankings… While we are on the subject of college baseball, The Gamecocks were picked by SEC coaches to win the SEC Championship.. Vanderbilt was picked to finish 2nd in the SEC East behind Carolina and LSU first in the SEC West… The Gamecocks are preseason picks to finish as high as 7th in one college poll while Clemson is picked to finish as high as 13TH… Clemson is scheduled to start their season tomorrow at home in a 3-game series with Eastern Michigan… As of last night, tomorrows opener was still set for a 4:00 pm first pitch… I guess Jack Leggett is in a hurry to find out if the stadium renovations which moved home plate 10 feet closer to the fence will pay off.
Local Sports Results:
PC Men’s Basketball
- Campbell 77 – PC 61… The PC men’s basketball team traveled to NC. Last night to take on Campbell… Campbell shot 61.5% in the second half, and used a 13-3 run late to break open a close game and take the 77-66 win over the Presbyterian College… Campbell improves to 12-14 overall and 6-5 in the league, while PC drops to 5-21, 1-10. The Blue Hose return to Clinton Saturday, Feb. 15, to take on UNC Asheville at 7:45. The game will air live on ESPN3…. By the way the Lady Blue Hose basketball team will also be at home Saturday as they take on High Point at 5:00 pm as part of the basketball doubleheader.
- Last Saturday the Raider wrestling team traveled to Rock Hill for first round playoff action in the State AAAA Tournament… In the first round they faced off against Spring Valley and took a 41-30 win… After a few minutes of rest they started the second round against the home team Rock Hill… In that contest the Laurens lost 27-45 to end the team’s season…They are to be congratulated for finishing 2nd in Region I-AAAA to powerhouse Hillcrest and making it to the second round against a strong Rock Hill team… By the way match details from last Saturday can be found in the featured Sports section on WLBG’s homepage in the Wresting Schedule & Results posting… Now you will notice that I was careful to say the “team” ended its season in the loss to Rock Hill but not the individual wrestlers… Almost all the Raider wrestlers qualified for the Upper State AAAA Wrestling Tournament that will be held at LDHS on Friday and Saturday Feb. 21st & 22nd… I’ll have more about that next week.
Local Sports Schedule: All high school events cancelled
- WLBG: Tomorrow night (weather permitting) Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Greenwood Eagles… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 19th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.