Local Sports Results:
- Soc: NHS 7 – CHS 6… The Red Devil soccer team hosted the Wildcats of Ninety Six last night at Wilder Stadium…. The Red Devils proved to be too good a host as the Wildcats took a 7-6 win… Madison Simpson had 4 of Clinton’s goals and Rodolfo Orozco had the other 2 Red Devil goals… The Red Devils are now 0-2 on the young season and will play again next Tuesday when they host Providence
- SB: CHS 15 WHS 4… For the 2nd time in 3 days the Lady Red Devil softball team took on the Lady Wolverines of Whitmire (this time at Whitmire) and for the 2nd time Clinton posted a win over Whitmire this time by a score of 15-4… The Red Devils pounded out 19 hits with Allison Oxner going 5-5, Molly Scarborough 4-4, and Kayleigh Pitts collecting 5 RBIs… Jessica Wood picked the win going 5⅓ innings striking out 6 and allowing 3 of Whimire’s runs… Kayleigh Pitts finished the game for the Red Devils striking out 1 but walking 4… The Red Devils are now 3-2 on the season
- JV SB: CHS 17 – WHS 9… In the game prior to the varsity softball game, the JV softball team took a 17-9 win over Whitmire… Hunter Benson went 2-3 for the team and Gracie Templeton was 1-2… Kassidy Jennings reach base all 3 of her time at bat and score 3 times… Katie Roland was the winning pitcher striking out 4 and walking 4,,, The JV team is now 2-0 on the season… Both CHS softball teams will travel to Laurens tomorrow to take on the Raiders with the JV game starting at 5 and the varsity game about 7… That game can be heard on sports Radio 1410 WPCC and online at www.wpcconline.com
LDHS: I need to do a little catching up on some results at LDHS over the past few days that I have just not been able to get to you so let’s do that now
- Track: Back on Tuesday night the Raiders hosted Clinton and Union County in their first meet of the season… In boys’ action the Raiders came in 1st with 70.5 points, Clinton 2nd – 63 & Union County 3rd-37.5… The results were not quite as good for the girls as Clinton finished 1st with 59 points just edging out Union County who finished 2nd with 58 points…. The Lady Raiders were 3rd with 49 points…. The track teams will be back in action today as they travel to Woodruff.
- Boys Soccer: Monday night the Raider soccer teams opened their season at Union County… While I don’t have the girls’ results, I can tell you that the boys took a 14-0 win over UC… The Raiders obviously were dominating the entire game and Coach Dennis Balanta was very pleased with their play… Irvin Angeles and Isaac Ayala led the Riders in scoring with 4 goals each… Then on Tuesday night the Raiders had their first home match against a traditionally strong JL Mann Patriots team… Man proved to be just that as they defeated the Raiders 6-0… Coach Balanta stated afterward the team did not play especially well and made too many mistakes on defense…. They will travel to Westside tomorrow.
- Golf: This past Monday the LDHS Boys’ Golf team participated in the Outback Invitational hosted by South Aiken High School. The tournament was played on the Cobb Curse at Woodside Plantation in Aiken… They finished in 7th place overall… The Raider scores were Ryan Wright 79, Jonathan Finley 86, Will Franks 94, and Patton Croker 95… Coach Jim Iacuone said afterward “ I was pleased with how we played. It was the first varsity tournament for two of our players and I think we were a little nervous. It was also a course we haven’t played at before. It’s been several years since LDHS participated in this event. It’s a good start to the season.”
- South Carolina 74 – Auburn 56… The Gamecocks defeated Auburn 76-54 in the 1st round of SEC Tournament play… They will now face Arkansas in the 2nd game this afternoon in the Georgia Dome… Most likely in the 3:30 or so time frame.
- Clemson will face Georgia Tech tonight about 9:00 as the Yellow Jackets defeated Boston College 73-70 in overtime last night to advance and play the Tigers tonight.
- Clemson 2 – App. State 1… The Tigers defeated the Mountaineers 2-1 in mid-week action at Doug Kingsmore Stadium yesterday.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV & Varsity softball @ Laurens 5:00 / 7:00 Can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC
- JV & Varsity softball host Clinton 5:00 / 7:00
- Tennis @ Westside 5:00
- Track @ Woodruff 5:00
- Tonight Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will be broadcasting from LDHS as the Lady Red Devil softball team takes on the Lady Raiders in varsity action… First pitch is scheduled for about 7:00 and we hope you can make it to the game… But if not tune in to catch all the action as Buddy & Jimmy have the call of the game… Remember you can also hear the game at www.wpcconline.com
- On Friday 3-14-14 the Raider baseball team will open their home regular season schedule with the Rams of Hillcrest High… Hope you can make it to the game but if you cannot, tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG or go to www.wlbg.com about 7:30 for the first pitch and catch the action there.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.