Local Sports Results:
- Golf: The Red Devil golf team opened up the 2014 season by splitting with Woodruff and Southside Christian at Three Pines Country Club in Woodruff. Clinton lost to Southside Christian by a score of 161-169… Clinton defeated Woodruff 169-188… Hunter Nichols was the medalist for Clinton shooting a 4 over par 40… Harrison Fisher and Zach Davis both shot a 42 and Michael Mann shot a 45… Joe Milner had the only birdie of the day for the Red Devils when he hit his first shot of the day 4 feet on a par 3… Clinton will travel to Newberry to take on Newberry and Mid Carolina on Tuesday.
- Lacrosse: St Joseph’s 15 – CHS 9…
- SB: LDHS 16 – CHS 6… The Clinton and Laurens softball teams got together over at Laurens for round 1 of their annual 2-game series… Clinton led the game 3-2 at the end of the 2nd inning but Laurens came back to take a 9-2 lead at the end of 4 innings… In the top of the 5th inning the Lady Red Devils put 4 runs on the board to cut the raiders lead down to 9-6… However the Lady Raiders responded with 7 runs in their half of the 5th inning to take a 16-6 win… The Red Devils managed 4 hits on the night with Allison Oxner, Brittany Templeton, Brittany Wright & Mason Paige-Gambrell each having a hit… Jessica Wood took the loss for Clinton… For the Lady Raiders, Tara Bond went 4-4 and scored each time she reached base… With 2 hits each were Maria Williamson, Annsley Nelson, Jordan Henderson & Elizabeth Carman… One of Williamson’s was a 3-run homer… Logan Hill got the win for Laurens pitching 4⅓ innings giving up 4 hits while striking out 5 and walking 3… Allison Foreback picked up a save… The Lady Red Devils are now 4-4 on the season while the Lady Raiders improve to 2-0.. Click on the following for more statistics: 14-3-13_SB_LDHS-Clint_stats
JV SB: LDHS 10 – CHS 5
- Tennis: I need to do a little catching up with boys’ tennis at LDHS… The team opened its season this past Monday as they traveled to Woodmont… In that opening match, Woodmont took a 5-2 win… Thomas Hughes had a win at the #1 singles spot and Hughes teamed up with Collin John as the #1 doubles team… The Raiders then faced Greenwood at the Laurens City Parks the next day in their home opener… The Eagles were a strong team and took a 6-1 win… The lone win for the Raiders came from the #1 doubles team of Hughes & John…. Coach David Corley said he was proud of the effort but with little match play under their belt, his team simply couldn’t compete.
- Basketball: SC 71 – Arkansas 69… The Univ. of SC Gamecocks pulled off an upset last night as they defeated Arkansas 71-69 to advance to the Quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament in the Georgia Dome… They now advance to play Tennessee at about 3:30 today…. Clemson 69 – Georgia Tech 65 in OT… Also last, the Clemson Tigers Clemson overcame a nine-point deficit in the second half and survived a second straight overtime game, prevailing 69-65 over Georgia Tech in the second round of the ACC Tournament… They will face Duke tonight at about 9:00 pm
- Baseball: The Clemson Tigers will be on the road this weekend as they start a 3-game series with Wake Forest up in Winston-Salem at 6:00 pm today… The SC Gamecocks will also have a 3-game series this weekend… They start SEC play as they host Ole Miss tonight @ 7:00, 4:00 tomorrow and 1:30 on Sunday afternoon… These games can be heard on Sport Radio 1410 WPCC.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Sat. – varsity baseball @ Gilbert 11:00am
- Soccer host Westside 5:30
- JV & varsity baseball host Hillcrest 5:00 / 7:30
- Softball at Lexington Invitational Friday & Saturday:
- Sat. JV baseball @ JL Mann 10:00 am
- Baseball host Wardlaw DH 4:30
- Softball host Wardlaw 5:00
- Saturday: Softball at Tournament in Sumter.
- Today the Raider baseball team will open their home regular season schedule with the Rams of Hillcrest High… Hope you can make it to the game but if you cannot, tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG or go to www.wlbg.com about7:30 for the first pitch and catch the action there.
- Tuesday March 18th the Raider baseball team will host the Easley Green Wave… First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 pm… If you can’t make it to Ed Prescott Field, join us her a few minutes before 6:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.