Local Sports Results:
- BB: Gilbert 4 – CHS 0 & Gilbert 6 – CHS 2…. The Red Devil baseball team traveled down to Gilbert on Saturday to take on the Indians in a doubleheader and unfortunately the Indians won both games… They eon the 1st game by a score of 4-0 and the 2nd by a score of 6-2… The Red Devils managed only 9 hits total in both games to the Indians 20… Hunter Stewart had the most hits for the Red Devils with 3… Coach Atkinson stated after the game “Gilbert is a very good baseball team (6-0) They had a big 4 run third inning in game 1 and were able collect a pair of runs in the 1st, 2nd and 4th… We didn’t play poorly, but we just could get anything started defensively today. We hit several balls on the nose, but they just wouldn’t fall in for us… Our best hitter on the day was Hunter Stewart who went 3 for 3 in game 2… Pitching was pretty good as well. Bradley Templeton went the distance in game 1 giving up 3 ER on 9Hits a 1 BB… Game 2 was split by Peyton Spangler, Okevius Conway and Charles McKinney giving up 6 runs, 5 ER, on 11 hits and 2 BB…We have a big week ahead of us, opening the conference on Tuesday night at Broome.”… For Clinton’s box score of the 2 games and more statistics, click on the following link: 14-3-15_BB_CHS-Gilbert-DH For the score sheet for both games click on the following 2 links: 14-3-15_BB_CHS-Gilbert-Game-1_Scorebook and 14-3-15_BB_CHS-Gilbert-Game-2_Scorebook
- BB: LDHS 8 – Hillcrest 4… Last Friday the Raider baseball team hosted the Rams of Hillcrest and the Raiders had to come from behind to take an 8-4 win… Hillcrest touched Raider starting pitcher Cody Smiley for 4 runs in the top of the 1st inning to take a 4-0 lead… The Raiders scored single runs in the 2nd & 3rd inning and then broke on top for good with 3 runs in the 4th while adding insurance runs in the 5th & 6th innings… Smiley settled down after the 1st inning allowing only 1 more hit until Kevin Dean came in relief in the 5th inning… Smiley led the Raider attack going 3-4 with 2 RBIs… The Raiders are now 5-0 on the season and 2-0 in region play… Click on the following for more game stats: 14-3-14_LDHSB-Hillcrest_stats Click on the following for the game scorecard: 14-3-14_L-BB–Hillcrest_scorecard
- JV BB: LDHS 6 – Hillcrest 1… Sorry no details available
- BB: LA 15 – Wardlaw 0 & LA: 9 – Wardlaw 2…. The Laurens Academy Crusader baseball hosted Wardlaw in a doubleheader last Friday…. In the 1st game the Crusaders cruised to a 15-0 win… The Crusaders got their 15 runs on just 9 hits, 7 walks and 4 Wardlaw errors… Matthew Urick 3 hits in the game and Noah Stribling Got the win pitching 3 of the 4 innings played… In the 2nd game the Crusaders took a 9-2 win… In this game the Crusaders pounded out 13 hits with 5 different Crusaders getting 2 hits each… Matthew Urwick, Hunter Elwood, Ryan Sneed. Will Price and Peter Tillman were those 5 players… To see Coach Halbert’s recap of the games click on the following link:Wardlaw DH Recap To see the box score for both games click on the following link: 14-3-14-BB-LA-Wardlaw-DH To see the scorecard for game 1, click on the following link : To see the scorecard for game 2, click on the following link: 14-3-14-BB-LA-Wardlaw-Gm-1-Scorecard and 14-3-14-BB-LA-Wardlaw-Gm-2-Scorecard
- NCAA Men’s D-I Basketball Tournament Selection… Well it is now officially time for March Madness as the NCAA selection committee announced the field for the D-I basketball championship tournament getting underway tomorrow… Florida is seeded # 1 in the South Regional, Virginia in the East, Wichita State in the Midwest and Arizona in the West… By the way Wichita St. comes in as the only undefeated team with a record of 34-0… The Wofford Terriers wound up a #15 seed in the Midwest Regional and will travel to Milwaukee on Thursday night to take on #2 seeded Michigan… The only other state team in the tournament is Coastal Carolina who will be a #16 seed and face #1 seed Virginia in Raleigh this coming Friday night… Now if you click on the following link your will see the complete tournament bracket: And no I am not filling one out to try for that reported billion dollar prize… Emil pays me way too much to do that… LOL.
- Clemson in NIT… The Clemson Tiger men’s basketball team was selected to participate in the NIT and will have a #3 seed and host #6 seed Georgia State tomorrow at 9:00 pm… Click on the following for the complete NIT bracket.
Local Sports Schedule: ( Weather permitting)
- JV baseball host Emerald 6:00
- Tennis at Union County 5:00
- Golf at Spartanburg Christian 4:00
- Tomorrow the Raider varsity baseball team will host the Green Wave of Easley at Ed Prescott Filed with first pitch scheduled for 6:00 pm… If you can’t make it to the game. Join Mike Hughes just a few minutes before 6:00 for all the action and remember you can also here it on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Thursday March 20th the Lady Raider softball teams will be traveling to Clinton to take on the Lady Red Devils in round 2 of the cross-county rivalry… If you can’t make it over for the varsity game at 7:00, join Mike as he brings you all the action both at AM 860 and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- Tomorrow the Red Devils travel to Spartanburg to take on the Centurions of Broome High in baseball action… Join Buddy & Jimmy just about 6:00 pm as they come to you live from the field… Remember, you can also hear all the action on the internet at www.wpcconline.com
- On Tuesday March 25th the Lady Red Devils softball teams will be hosting the Lady Wolverines of Woodruff… The varsity game is suppose to start at 7:00 pm and Buddy & Jimmy will have all the action for you on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.