Local Sports Results:
LDHS: Believe it or not I do have a result or two from LDHS yesterday plus just a little “catching up” to do
- Westside 5 – LDHS 2… Last Thursday (3-13-14) the Raider tennis team traveled to Anderson to take on the Rams of Westside… The Raiders picked up only 2 individual wins in the match as the Rams prevailed by a score of 5-2… Picking up wins for the Raiders were Thomas Hughes in the #1 spot and Garrett Madden playing in the #4 singles spot… Now for more details on the match provided by Coach Corley, click on the following: 3-13-14_Westside
- LDHS 6 – Woodmont 1… The rain held off yesterday afternoon and the courts were dry enough for the Raiders to host the Woodmont Wildcat at Laurens City Park… Good news as the Raiders picked up their first win of the season by defeating Woodmont 5-1… Thomas Hughes, Collin John, John Calvin Hughes, Garrett Madden and Will Aultman all picked up wins in singles action… Again you can click on the following to see Coach Corley’s recap of the match: 3-18-14_Woodmont That makes the Raiders 1-3 on the young season.
- JL Mann 165 – LDHS 175… Catching up with the boys’ golf team from last Thursday, they traveled to Hejaz Shrine Golf Course outside Mauldin and fell to JL Mann 165-175… Ryan Wright was the match medalist with a 37… After the match Coach Jim Iacuone stated “With the exception of Ryan and Patton Croker I thought we didn’t play well.” Fore scoring details, click on the following: 3-13-14_LDHS Golf at JL Mann
- LDHS 5 – Westside 3… Also catching up with boys’ soccer from last Friday, the Raiders hosted the Rams of Westside and the Raiders prevailed by a score of 5-3… Isaac Ayala led the Raiders with 3 goals… Scoring 1 goal each were Irvin Angele and Fernando Florez… Coach Dennis Balanta stated afterward he felt that this was the best game the team played to date and played as a “team”… Click on the following for more of Coach Balanta’s comments: 3-14-14_B-Soc-v-Westside
- BB: Clemson 78 – Georgia State 66… The Clemson Tiger basketball team took a 78-66 win over Georgia State last night in Clemson in opening round action of the NIT… KJ McDaniels led the team with 30 points and 14 rebounds while blocking 5 shots… The Tigers face the winner of tonight’s contest between Boston University and Illinois… They will host the winner of that contest on a date and time to be named later.
- BB: Georgia Southern 14 – Clemson 5… The Georgia Southern eagles took a 14-5 win over the Clemson Tigers down in Statesboro yesterday… Same 2 teams get back together today @ Georgia Southern
- College Div. I Baseball Rankings: This week’s D-I baseball rankings according to the USA Today Coaches’ Poll have Florida state (17-2) moving from 2nd to 1st while the Gamecocks 18-1) drop to 2nd after their loss to Ole Miss this past weekend… The rest of the top 5 are Vanderbilt, Oregon State & Virginia… LSU, Oregon, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisville & NC State make the next 5.
- SEC Women’s Basketball Awards… SC women’s basketball Coach Dawn Staley was the unanimous selection as Coach Of The Year… Freshman Alaina Coates was selected Newcomer Of The Year… Also a unanimous selection to the SEC First Team was South Carolina’s Tiffany Mitchell… Aleighsa Welch garnered Second Team Honors.
Local Sports Schedule: see a posting in the Featured News section of our homepage for list of cancelations from yesterday and their makeup dates.
- Varsity baseball @ Broome 6:00
- Lacrosse at St Joe 5:20
- Soccer @ Providence 5:30 makeup of yesterday’s match with change of location
- JV & varsity softball @ Chester 5:00 / 7:00
- JV & varsity softball @ Woodmont 5:30 / 7:30
- Baseball host Easley 6:00 makeup of yesterday’s game, can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Golf @ Smithfield CC vs. Easley, JL Mann & Greenwood 4:00
- Baseball @ Christ Church 7:30
- Today the Raider varsity baseball team will host the Green Wave of Easley at Ed Prescott Filed with first pitch scheduled for 6:00 pm… This is a makeup of yesterday’s rained out game…If you can’t make it to the game. Join Mike Hughes just a few minutes before 6:00 for all the action and remember you can also here it on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Tomorrow the Lady Raider softball teams will be traveling to Clinton to take on the Lady Red Devils in round 2 of the cross-county rivalry… If you can’t make it over for the varsity game at 7:00, join Mike as he brings you all the action both at AM 860 and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- Due to previous commitments by WPCC staff, they will NOT be able to bring you the baseball game at Broome today which is a makeup of yesterday’s rained out game.
- On Tuesday March 25th the Lady Red Devils softball teams will be hosting the Lady Wolverines of Woodruff… The varsity game is suppose to start at 7:00 pm and Buddy & Jimmy will have all the action for you on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.