Local Sports Results:
- BB: Chester 2 – Clinton 1… The Clinton Red Devils and the Chester Cyclones met at CHS last Friday night with 1st place in the region on the line in the young season… Clinton had a 1-0 lead going into the top of the 6th inning when the Cyclones lead-off hitter reached on an error and the next batter sent the 2nd pitch he saw over the fence to give Chester a 2-1 lead which they made standup taking the win… Five different Red Devils had 1 hit each with Kendal Pitts getting the lone RBI in the 4th inning… Bradley Templeton took the loss giving up only 5 hits & 1 earned run while striking out 4 and walking 3… Afterward Coach Lee Atkinson commented “Tonight’s game had a playoff feel to it.. Two teams battling for the top spot early in the region. Unfortunately we were a run short tonight. I’m proud of the players because we fought until the last out.” Click on the following for game statistics: 14-3-21_BB_CHS-Chester_Stats_Box Click on the following for the game scorecard: 14-3-21_BB_CHS-Chester_Scoresheet
- JV BB: Clinton 11 – Chester 1… Also last Friday night the Red Devil JV baseball team hosted the Chester Cyclones and the JV’s remain undefeated as they took an 11-1 win over Chester in 5 innings… Davis Cunningham went 3-3 with a double and a RBI… Chandler Todd went 2-3 with a double and 2 RBIs while Tyler Kelly and Dakota Webb went 2-4 and each had a double… Webb had 2 RBIs and Kelly 1… Davis Cunningham picked up the win and struck out 8
- Soccer: Broome 2 – Clinton 1… Last Friday afternoon the Red Devil soccer team hosted the Broome Centurions and it as a hard fought defensive match as Broome took a 2-1 win in 2 overtimes… Madison Simpson had the lone goal for Clinton… Seth Anderson had 4 saves in goal for Clinton.
- BB: TL Hanna 2 – LDHS 1… The Laurens Raider baseball team traveled to TL Hanna last Friday night and Hanna scored 2 unearned runs in the first inning and made them hold up as they took a 2-1 win over the Raiders… The Raiders only run came in the 3rd inning when they strung together 3 singles with Matt Paxton driving in Trae Coleman… The Raiders managed only 5 hits but Kevin Dean held Hanna to just 4 hits with a Raider error contributing to those 2 unearned runs in the 1st inning… Besides Paxton and Coleman, the only other Raiders to get a hit were Thomas Jones, Toby Jackson and Cole Blocker… Click on the following for the box score: 14-3-21_L-BB–Hanna_box_score Click on the following for the game scorecard: 14-3-21_L-BB–Hanna_scorecard The Raiders are now 5-2 overall and 2-2 in region play and will be home Tuesday to take on JL Mann.
- SB: LDHS 18 – TL Hanna 2… The Lady Raider softball teams also traveled to TL Hanna last Friday night and the results were much better as the Lady Raiders took an 18-2 win over Hanna in 5 innings… Te Raiders put 8 runs on the board in the 2nd inning, 3 in the third, 1 in the fourth and 6 in the fifth and were never really threatened… The Raiders pounded out 17 hits with Tara Bound going 3-3 with a triple… 4 other Raiders had 2 hit each with Elizabeth Carman hitting a homerun but Allison Foreback topped that hitting 2 round-trippers… Foreback also picked up the win pitching just 2 innings and Logan Hill finished the game in relief… Click on the following for more game statistics: 14-3-21_SB_LDHS-Hanna_Stats Click on the following for the game scorecard: 14-3-21_SB_LDHS-Hanna_Scorecard The Lady Raiders are now 7-3 overall and 3-0 in region play…. The Raiders return home today to take on the always tough Lady Patriots of JL Mann… First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 and if you can’t make it to the game you can catch all the action on Real radio 860 WLBG and on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- JV SB: LDHS 10 – TLH 2… In the game prior to the varsity game, the JV team took a 10-2 win over TLH to run their record to 4-1 on the season.
- BB: WW King 2 – Laurens Academy 1… Thursday of last week (3-20-14) the Crusader baseball team traveled to WW King to take on the defending state champions and a walk in the bottom of the 7th inning gave WW King the run they needed to take the win handing the Crusaders their first loss of the season… Please click on the following not only to see the box score and statistics but also Coach Halbert’s comments and account of the game: 14-3-20-BB-LA_at_WW_King_Box-Stats-Comments Click on the following to see the scorecard: 14-3-20-BB-LA_at_WW_King_scorecard
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf @ Raider Invitational Lakeside Country Club
- Golf hosting raider Invitational Lakeside C.C.
- JV baseball @ BHP (DH)
- Softball host JL Mann 6:30
- Softball host St Joseph’s 5:00
- Baseball host Ware Shoals 6:00
- Today the Lady Raider varsity softball team will host the Lady Patriots of JL Mann… If you can’t make it to the game, join up here on Real radio 860 WLBG as we bring you all the action at 6:30.
- Tomorrow the Raider baseball team will host the JL Mann with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30… Hope you can make out to the game but if you cannot, join us on Real Radio 860 an on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Friday the Raider softball team will host Westside in a varsity –JV doubleheader… That can is also scheduled to be carried on Real radio 860 WLBG…. That will also be the Cancer Awareness Game… Player introductions will include the person(s) each player is dedicating the game in honor or memory of… Anyone being honored as a cancer survivor can be on the field during player introductions… The players will be wearing special purple jerseys to bring awareness to all types of cancer… There will be donation jars and all donations are going to the Laurens County Relay for Life. Relay for Life luminaries will be available for purchase also. There will be a candle lighting before the game. One for those being honored and one for those being remembered… Please come out and support the girls as they shine the light on Cancer of all types and raise money for Relay for Life
- On Tuesday March 25th the Lady Red Devils softball teams will be hosting the Lady Wolverines of Woodruff… The varsity game is suppose to start at 7:00 pm and Buddy & Jimmy will have all the action for you on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
FYI / Community Interest:
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.