Local Sports Results: The rain on Friday & Saturday caused numerous postponements of the local athletic schedule but there were a couple of contest that took place:
- Soccer: CHS 6 – Union County 1… The Red Devil soccer team picked up its first win of the season as they defeated Union County 6-1 at Union…. Madison Simpson & Nolan Boozer each had 2 goals each for Clinton while Dexter Simmons and Elvis Fitz rounded out Clinton’s scoring with a goal each… Fitz, Simmons and Michael Richey also recorded assist… Clinton’s offense put pressure on Union County all night as they had 29 shots on goal while the defense limited UC to just 4…. The Red Devils are now 1-2 in region play and 1-5 overall…. They are scheduled to host BHP tomorrow at 5:30.
Rescheduled Contest & Dates from Friday & Saturday:
- C-team baseball- vs. 96 DH moved to 4-7-14 at 5:00
- Varsity Softball vs. Abbeville DH moved to 4-9-14 at 5:00
- Softball & Baseball vs. Union County… No makeup date scheduled yet.
- SB: LDHS 8 – Westside 2… The Lady Raider softball team was able to get their varsity game in with Westside last Friday due to some hard work by the coaching staff and parents on the field and the Lady Raiders remain undefeated in the region as they posted an 8-2 win over the Lady Rams… Laurens scored single runs in the second and fourth innings and 3 runs in both the third and fifth inning to take a 8-0 lead into the top of the 7th inning where Westside picked up their only 2 runs of the inning…. Maria Williamson and Mattie Cantrell led the Raider offense getting 2 hits each… One of Williamson’s hits was a solo homer giving her a team leading total of 4 on the year… The Raider defense was also solid as they played errorless ball… Allison Foreback picked up her 8th win of the season working 4⅓ innings and Logan hill worked the balance of the game and getting her 3rd save of the season… The Raiders are now 10-3 on the season and 6-0 in region play… They will resume play this coming Friday and Saturday as they participate in the Triple Crown Tournament in Aiken… Click on the following for more statistics and box score for the Westside game: 14-3-28_SB_LDHS-Westside_Stats Click on the following for the scorecard: 14-3-28_SB_LDHS-Westside_Scorecard
Laurens Academy: No catching up on a couple of Laurens Academy baseball scores that I was able to obtain just last Friday.
- Ware Shoals 7 – LA 2… One week ago today the Ware Shoals Hornets took a 7-2 win over the Crusaders… Hunter Elwood went 3-4 in the game to lead the Crusader offense… Trevor Esposito took the loss working 5 innings and giving up 4 runs only 3 of which were earned.
- LA 11 – Newberry 1… Last Thursday the Crusaders got back on the winning track as they took an 11-1 win over Newberry… The only detail that I have is that Matthew Urwick picked up the first complete game win of the season for the Crusaders… The Crusaders are now 5-2 on the season and 3-1 in region play… The game on Friday was canceled due to the weather and the game today with Whitmire is canceled due to scheduling conflict
- Clemson took 2 games from Maryland this weekend by scores of 7-1 & 3-1… The 3rd game was cancelled due to rain… It will not be made up
- South Carolina swept their 3 game series with Tennessee in Columbia this past weekend taking game 1 3-2 in 14 innings and it actually finished on Saturday… In game 2 on Saturday they game back and took a 9-6 win with Grayson Greiner ending the game with a walk-off grand slam homer…. They won yesterday’s game 8-0
- Final Four…. The final four in the men’s basketball championship is now set… #1 seed Florida will face # 7 seed Connecticut Saturday at 6:09 and then #2 Wisconsin will take on #8 Kentucky about 8:49… I’m sure you all had these matchups on your brackets… right.
- Women’s Basketball… earlier in the season, the Lady Tar Heels of NC handed the Lady Gamecocks of SC their first defeat of the season and yesterday they handed them their last as they defeated SC 65-58 to eliminate the Gamecocks from the NCAA women’s tournament in Sanford California… South Carolina finishes the season with a 29-5 record.
- The MLB season gets in full swing today and the Braves will open on the road in Milwaukee as they take on the Brewers… First pitch is scheduled for 2:10.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Baseball host Newberry 6:00
- Baseball at JL Mann 6:00
- Golf vs. Spartanburg Christian at Links of Tryon 4:00
- Tomorrow the Raider baseball team will host the Wildcats of Woodmont in a JV – Varsity doubleheader… The varsity game will start at 7:30 and if you can’t make it to the game tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG about that time… Remember we also stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Friday (4-4-14) the Raider baseball team will host region foes the Eagles of Greenwood in a JV – Varsity doubleheader… The varsity game will start at 7:30 and if you can’t make it to the game tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG about that time… Remember we also stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Tuesday April 8th the Lady Red Devil softball teams will host Chester in Region 3-AAA action… The first pitch for the varsity game is scheduled for 7:00 pm… You can join the WPCC broadcast crew a few minutes before that for all the action on Sports radio 1410 WPCC… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wpcconline.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.