Local Sports Results:
- Soccer: BHP 5 – CHS 2… The Red Devil soccer team hosted the Bears oh BHP in non-region action… The Red Devils were too good of a host as the Bears took a 5-2 win… Madison Simpson had both of Clinton’s goals… BHP had 17 shots on goal to Clinton’s 11… Clinton is now 1-6 on the season… They will be back in action starting tomorrow at a tournament at Airport HS in Columbia.
- BB: LDHS 15 – Woodmont 4… The Laurens Raider baseball team returned home last night to host the Woodmont Wildcats hoping to rebound after their loss to JL Mann on Monday night and rebound they did as they took a 15-4 win over the Wildcats in 5 innings… Laurens led 9-0 at the end of 2 innings when Woodmont picked up their 4 runs in the top of the 3rd… Laurens put the game away in the bottom of the 4th inning scoring 6 runs…. Kevin Dean picked up the complete game win giving up just 6 hits 4 of which came in the 3rd inning when Woodmont scored all 4 of their earned runs… Kevin struck out 2 and walked only 1… Cody Smiley led the Raider attack going 3-4 with a double and 2 RBIs… Hammer Walker, Thomas Jones, and Toby Jackson each had 2 hits… The Raiders are now 8-3 on the season and 4-3 in region play…. Click on the following for more game statistics and the box score: 14-4-1_LDHS_BB-Woodmont_stats Click on the following for the game’s scorecard: 14-4-1_LDHS_BB-Woodmont_Scorecard The Raiders will be at home this Friday as they host the Greenwood Eagles in a JV – varsity doubleheader with the varsity game starting about 7:30 and it can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG…
- JV BB: LDHS 8 – Woodmont 8
- Golf: Tee Off Classic @ Star Fort… Now catching up with the Raider golf team, they were one of 18 teams playing at Star Fort G.C. in Ninety Six last Saturday… The Raiders finished tied for 12th with a score of 336… Ryan Wright had the low score for Laurens with a 78… Jonathan Finley and Patton Croker both shot 84 and Nick Brown a 90… Coach Jim Iacuone stated afterwards “I was happy with our scores on Saturday. Our team score after the first nine holes was the best it’s been this season thus far (163). We still have some room for improvement but we are heading in the right direction… Click on the following for the scores of all teams participating and the top 20 individual scores: 3-29-14_Ninety Six Tee Off Classic
- NIT: SMU 65 – Clemson 59… The Clemson Tiger men’s basketball season saw their season come to an end last night as they fell to SMU 65-59 in the semi-finals of the NIT in Madison Square Garden…It was a tough loss especially since they led 38-26 at the half… The Tigers had a very respectable season as they finish with a 23-13 record for the year.
- BB: Clemson 13 – Furman 2… Better news for the Clemson Tiger baseball team as they defeated Furman 13-2 at Doug Kingsmore Stadium last night… The Tigers put the game away with 5 runs in the 6th inning and 3 in both the 7th & 8th innings… The Tigers are now 18-9 on the season.
- BB: South Carolina 2 – Appalachian State 1… The #2 gamecocks were also at home last night as they hosted the Mountaineers of Appalachian State… Grayson Greiner had a walk-off pinch-hit in the 9th inning to lift the Gamecocks to the win… South Carolina is now 25-3 on the season.
- Braves 5 – Brewers 2… Freddie Freeman homered twice and Jason Heyward hit a two-run shot to back an outstanding pitching performance by Alex Wood as the Braves topped the Brewers in Milwaukee 5-2 last night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Baseball host Broome 6:00
- On Friday (4-4-14) the Raider baseball team will host region foes the Eagles of Greenwood in a JV – Varsity doubleheader… The varsity game will start at 7:30 and if you can’t make it to the game tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG about that time… Remember we also stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Tuesday April 8th the Lady Red Devil softball teams will host Chester in Region 3-AAA action… The first pitch for the varsity game is scheduled for 7:00 pm… You can join the WPCC broadcast crew a few minutes before that for all the action on Sports radio 1410 WPCC… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wpcconline.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.