Local Sports Results: Well as far as I can determine there were no local high school athletic events yesterday but there are numerous events today and this weekend… Be sure to see the local sports schedule below.
NIT: Minnesota 65 – SMU 63…. Austin Hollins hit a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 46.1 seconds left and Minnesota won the NIT championship Thursday night, beating SMU 65-63…. Hollins finished the night with 19 points for the Golden Gophers who finish the season 25-13…
- Drive 3 – Intimidators 1… The Greenville Drive opened their season last night up in Kannapolis, NC and good news for Drive fans as they took a 3-1 win… Drive first baseman Tim Roberson drove in 2 runs… The same 2 teams will play a 3 more games in the current series.
- Braves: The Atlanta Braves were off last night and will open a 3 game series with the Nationals in DC this afternoon at 1:05.
College Baseball Notes:
- The Clemson Tigers will host NC State in a 3 game series beginning tomorrow at 1:00 pm and continuing through Monday.
- The South Carolina Gamecocks had their series opener with Arkansas out in Fayetteville postponed due to the bad weather that is supposed to be heading our way… They will now play a doubleheader with the Razor Backs today with the first game scheduled to start at 4:05 ET… About 30 minutes the second game will take place and the series finale is scheduled for 7:00 tomorrow night…. Sports Radio 1410 WPCC is scheduled to carry these games.
College Basketball: March Madness is about to come to an end (as well it should because it is now April) and tomorrow Connecticut will square off against Florida about 6:09 pm and then Kentucky will face Wisconsin at 8:49 pm… Both games will be on TBS.
Local Sports Schedule:
- The CHS soccer team will start participation in the Airport Select Invitational in Columbia today and continue into tomorrow… According to a schedule I found in-line the Red Devils are scheduled to play Mauldin tonight at 8:30… They will then have their first game tomorrow at 12:30 pm against Swansea… They are then supposed to play Bluffton at 5:45… There are matches scheduled for Sunday but those will be semifinals and finals with participants to be determined… To see the entire schedule for the tournament and results, click on the following link: 2014 Airport Select Invitational
- JV & varsity baseball host Greenwood 4:30 / 7:30 Varsity game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Softball… The varsity softball team will be participating in the Aiken Triple Crown Tournament tonight and tomorrow… Tonight the Lady Raiders are scheduled to take on Saluda at 7:00 and Wando at 9:00… Tomorrow they start the day off with Gilbert at 1:00… They will most likely play in 2 more games but opponents and time to be determined based on the previous game results…
- On Friday (4-4-14) the Raider baseball team will host region foes the Eagles of Greenwood in a JV – Varsity doubleheader… The varsity game will start at 7:30 and if you can’t make it to the game tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG about that time… Remember we also stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Next Monday (4-7-2014) the Lady Raiders will be hosting TL Hanna in a JV-varsity doubleheader with the JV game starting at 5:30 and the varsity at 7:30…. WLBG will bring you the varsity action starting just before 7:30… That will also be the Cancer Awareness Game that was postponed from last Friday due to the weather… Player introductions will include the person(s) each player is dedicating the game in honor or memory of… Anyone being honored as a cancer survivor can be on the field during player introductions… The players will be wearing special purple jerseys to bring awareness to all types of cancer… There will be donation jars and all donations are going to the Laurens County Relay for Life. Relay for Life luminaries will be available for purchase also. There will be a candle lighting before the game. One for those being honored and one for those being remembered… Please come out and support the girls as they shine the light on Cancer of all types and raise money for Relay for Life
- On Tuesday (4-8-14) the Lady Raiders will host the Hillcrest Rams in a very important region contest…. Again Real Radio 860 WLBG will bring you the varsity game starting about 7:30
- On Tuesday April 8th the Lady Red Devil softball teams will host Chester in Region 3-AAA action… The first pitch for the varsity game is scheduled for 7:00 pm… You can join the WPCC broadcast crew a few minutes before that for all the action on Sports radio 1410 WPCC… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wpcconline.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- On Thursday April 3rd the Laurens YMCA will be hosting the Cal Ripken Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic at Collyar Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm… It is open to youth ages 6-14. Now it is a free clinic but you MUST register prior to the day of the clinic. For complete information about the clinic and how to register, click on the following: Cal Ripken Clinic 2014
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.