Local Sports Results:
- JV BB: Clinton 4 – Woodruff 3… The JV baseball team traveled up to Woodruff and the ride back home was a pleasant one as the Red Devils defeated the Wolverines 4-3… Jeremy Simmons went 1-3 with a double and 2 RBIs… JP Duncan also went 1-3 with 2 RBIs while Charlie Craven and Cameron Bishop both went 1-3… Cameron Bishop picked up the win and Taylor Bailey a save… The team is now 9-1 o the season.
- Softball: Union County 9 – Clinton 4…. The Lady Red Devils played host to the Lady Yellow Jackets of Union County and they proved to be too good a host a Union took a 9-4 win… Clinton’s offense was led by Allison Oxner who went 2-4 with a 3-run homer in the 7th inning… Jessica Wood picked up the loss giving up 6 earned runs while striking out 5 and walking 1… The team will travel to Chapman tomorrow for a JV-varsity-doubleheader.
- Soccer: Saluda 2 – Clinton 0… The Red Devil soccer team hit the road yesterday as they traveled to Saluda to take on the Tigers… It turned out to be a tight match but when the final whistle sounded, Saluda had taken a 2-0 win over the Red Devils… The Red Devils did have 8 shots on goal but just could just not find the net…
- Golf: Chapman 154, Clinton 160 and Woodruff 192… The Red Devil golf team was involved in a 3 way match with Chapman and Woodruff yesterday and they went 1-1 in the match. The lost to Chapman 154-160 but defeated Woodruff 160-192… Hunter Nichols was the match medalist shooting a 5 under par 31… Other scores for Clinton were Harrison Fisher 38, Zach Davis 45 and Michael Mann 46… The Red Devils are now 7-2 on the season and will travel to Abbeville today.
- BB: Eastside 3 – Laurens 2 in 8 innings… After being rained out for 2 days in-a-row, the Raider baseball team finally got to play their first game in the Carolina Classic at Eastside HS as they took on the host Eastside Eagles… It took them 8 innings to do it, but Eastside took a 3-2 win over the Raiders… The Raiders took a 2-0 lead in the 3rd inning when with 1 out, Hammer Walker was hit by a pitch and then stole 2nd base… After the next batter popped up for the 2nd out, he scored on a single by Grayson Bailes who took second on the throw to the plate… Bailes later scored on a throwing error by the Eagles third baseman who overthrew first trying to retire Trae Coleman who reached on a bunt single. The Eagles tied the game with 2 runs in the 6th inning… Relief pitcher Tanner Adair got out of a base loaded with no out situation in the bottom of the 7th inning to send the game into extra innings… The Raiders got a runner as far as 3rd base with 2 out in the 8th but could not get the run across… The Eagles got the winning run in the bottom of the 8th when the lead-off hitter was hit by a pitch and then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt… He scored the winning run when the next batter singled into right-center field… After the game Coach Dale Nelson lamented his team’s lack of clutch hitting… This was evident as the Raiders left 14 men on base…. Kevin Dean started on the mound for the Raiders pitching 5 innings and giving up 1 run… Tanner Adair took the loss in relief… Cody Smiley picked up 3 of the Raiders 9 hits going 3-5 and Trae Coleman was the only other Raider to get more than 1 hit going 2-3… For the game’s box score and more statistics, click on the following link: 14-4-16_LDHS_BB-Eastside_Stats For the game’s scorecard click on the following link: 14-4-16_LDHS_BB-Eastside_Scorecard The Raiders will end their participation tonight in the Carolina Classic at eastside as they take on Blue Ridge in a contest who’s first pitch is scheduled for 6:00 pm.
- Tennis: Union County 7 – Laurens 0…. Yesterday the Raider boys’ tennis team traveled over to Union County to take on the Yellow Jackets and Union proved to be a little too tough as they took a 7-0 win over the Raiders… John Calvin Hughes came the closest to taking a win in singles action but fell a little short as did the #1 doubles team of Thomas Hughes and Colin John… For more match details and comments from Coach Davis Corley, click on the following link: 4-16-14_Union
- Fleck & Walker Sign… At noon yesterday, Victoria Fleck and Hammer Walker both signed letters of intent to further their education and play athletics on the college level… Fleck signed a letter of intent to play golf at Converse College in Spartanburg while Walker signed to play baseball at USC-Salkehatchie… Check the Between the Lines section on our homepage later today or tomorrow to see video interviews done with these student-athletes after their signing… Congratulation to both of them!
Local Sports Schedule:
Varsity baseball host Abbeville 6:00
Tennis @ Union County 4:30
Golf @ Abbeville 4:00
Varsity baseball vs. Blue Ridge @ Eastside HS 6:00
Golf host Greenwood @ Lakeside CC 4:30
Soccer host Greenwood 5:30
Softball @ Wardlaw 5:00
- The Laurens YMCA Health Kids Day… On Saturday, May 3rd, the Laurens Family YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day® , the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, features games, wellness information, arts and crafts and more to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home…. Now again this is a free event.. To learn more see the posting in the Between the Lines section on our homepage or click on the following link: click on the following link: Health Kids Day Information:
- On Tuesday (4-22-14) the Raider baseball team will be hosting the Rams of Westside… First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 and we hope you can make it to the game but if not, catch all the action on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming online at www.wlbg.com.
- On Monday (4-21-14) the Lady Red Devil softball teams will be in Spartanburg taking on the Lady Centurions of Broome in a JV-Varsity doubleheader… … The first pitch for the varsity game is scheduled for 7:00 pm… You can join the WPCC broadcast crew a few minutes before that for all the action on Sports radio 1410 WPCC… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wpcconline.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.