Local Sports Results:
- Soccer: Clinton 4 – Woodruff 1…. The Red Devil soccer team was in action yesterday as they hoisted the Wolverines of Woodruff…. Good news as Clinton took a 4-1 win over Woodruff to raise their region record to 5-4…. Clinton led 2-0 at the half thanks to 2 goals by Madison Simpson… Both Clinton’s goals in the second half were made by Nolan Boozer… Dexter Simmons and Simpson each had 2 assists… Seth Anderson had 5 saves in goal… The team is back in action today as they host Greer Middle College at 5:30.
- Golf: Mid-Carolina 170 – Clinton 181… Catching up with a little golf action from Monday, the Red Devils traveled down to Prosperity to take on the Mid-Carolina Rebels… The home course advantage may have come into play as Mid-Carolina took a 170-181 win over Clinton… Harrison Fisher had the low score for Clinton shooting a 4 over 40 and finished 1 shot behind Mid-Carolina’s P.J. Jacobs who shot a 39… Michael Mann shot a 44, Jay Addison a 47 and Zach Davis a 50 to round out the scoring… Clinton’s Hunter Nichols set out his third straight match to be at full strength for the Southern Cross Tournament this weekend and for the region tournament on Monday… Coach Chris Wofford commented “Hunter could have played today but we need him to be at full strength to contend for the region championship”
- Tennis: JL Mann 7 – Laurens 0… The Raider boys’ tennis team traveled to Greenville yesterday for their final match of the season against region champion JL Mann… The Patriots showed why they are region champ as they took a 7-0 win over the Raiders… Click on the following for more match details: 4-29-14_Mann The team finishes the season 1-17 and Coach David Corley commented “For a team with seven seniors, we lacked experience – three of those seven were first-year players. We knew this would be a tough season; we know now that next year may be tough as well, but we worked hard, played our best, and maybe gained some of the intangibles that sometimes losing teaches better than winning.”
- Golf: Congratulations go out to the Laurens Academy Crusader golf team as they captured the SCISA Class A State Golf Championship for the 5th time in the school’s history in Conway yesterday… They were led by Will Burroughs who was the State Medalist shooting a 2-day total of 167 taking the title by 1 stroke… As a team, the Crusaders shot a 2-day total of 739 which was a whopping 61 strokes better than the second place team.. Other scores for the Crusaders were; Cole James 178, Adam Spoone 181 and Samuel Moore 213… Again congratulations to Coach Plowden and the team.
- BB: LA 11 – Coastal Christian 0 (5)… Congratulations also go out to the Crusader baseball team as they took an 11-0 win over Coastal Christian last night down in Mount Pleasant… With the win, the Crusaders advance to the semi-finals to take on the winner of the Colleton Prep – Newberry series starting next Monday.
Baseball & Softball Playoff Notes:
- Clinton Baseball… Clinton High School Varsity Baseball Team will host Chapin High School on Friday (5/2) in the first round of the SCHSL 3A Baseball Playoffs… Chapin finished the season 16-3 overall and 2nd in Region IV-AAA… The game will start at 6:00 PM… All tickets are $5.00 (School age and up) and only SCHSL Passes will be accepted for admission.
- Laurens Softball… The Region I-AAAA Champion Laurens Lady Raider softball team will host the Lady Yellow Jackets of Fort Mill tomorrow at 6:30… Fort Mill is 11-6 on the season and finished 5th in Region III.
- Laurens Baseball… The Raider baseball team will travel to Blythewood to take on the Bengals in first round action of the Class AAAA Tournament… First pitch is scheduled for 6:30… Blythewood finished 1st in Region IV with an overall record of 17-6… For those of you planning on traveling down and need the address for you phones or GPS devices, the physical address for the school is: 10901 Wilson Blvd. Blythewood, SC 29016… At this time we are hoping to carry the game her on Real radio 860 WLBG.
- Quick Note on Second games for Laurens Baseball & Softball… WLBG sports department learned late yesterday afternoon that second round district games scheduled for Saturday may be played on Friday due to SAT testing at LDHS on Saturday… We will let you know as soon as we know..
Local Sports Schedule:
Soccer host Greer Middle College 5:30
Region Track Meet at Hillcrest 5:00
Softball @ Christ Church 5:00
The Laurens YMCA Health Kids Day… On Saturday, May 3rd, the Laurens Family YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day® , the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, features games, wellness information, arts and crafts and more to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home…. Now again this is a free event.. To learn more see the posting in the Between the Lines section on our homepage or click on the following link: click on the following link: Health Kids Day Information:
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.