Local Sports Results:
- Tennis: Emerald 4 – Clinton 2…. The Red Devil tennis team hosted the Emerald Vikings in second round playoff action yesterday and saw their season come to end as the Vikings took a hard fought 4-2 win over the Red Devils…. Issac MacMillan and Robert Powell had the 2 wins for Clinton in singles action… Bubba Wyman came close as he lost in a third set tiebreaker and Bowen Tiller also made a strong showing… The Red Devils finish their season with a 10-4 record… Congratulations to Coach Simmons and the team on another Region III-AAA Championship and strong run into the playoffs.
- Soccer: Greer Middle College 3 – Clinton 1… Catching up on some Red Devil soccer action from Wednesday, Clinton hosted Greer Middle College and GMC took a 3-0 win over the Red Devils…. Each team had 6 shots on goal but none of Clinton’s could find the back of the net… The Red Devils will be back in action next Tuesday as they start playoff action on the road at an opponent yet to be determined.
Laurens County Speedway: Catching up with results from last Saturday night at the LCS on Alvin Nabors Memorial race Night.
- Limited… Billy Rushton did not start on the pole in the Limited main event but that does not matter because it is where you finish that pays off and he finished first outracing not only local drivers but also some top drivers from Georgia… David McCoy finished second and Michael Smith third.
- Hobby… Dan Lawson was able to overcome damage to his car sustained in the initial start of the race to take the win in the Hobby division… Chris Patterson and Mart Patterson were the next two across the finish line in that order.
- FWD… In the FWD, Daniel Overstreet took the lead late in the race and held on to take his first victory of the season… Jody George and Travis Jamieson finished 2nd and 3rd respectively.
- Upper Stock 4… TJ Baker picked up his second win of the season in the SS4 main event… Joe Gibson battled him to the end but finished second… Scott Nelson was third.
- Crates… Nick Deitz took advantage of the misfortunes of the early leaders in the Crates division and finished first… Deano Long and Tony Quarles were the next two drivers to take the checkered flag.
- Note: Just a reminder that the gates will open tomorrow at 6:00 and racing will start at 8:00 at the LCS where they do dirt right
NFL Draft: Ever since the end of college football season the talk in the State of South Carolina has been about where certain Clemson and Carolina football players would go in the NFL draft which started last night… Much of that talk centered on Clemson’s Sammy Watkins and South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney and where they would go in the draft… Well last night history was made as for the first time in the NFL draft’s history 2 players from the state were chosen in the top 5.
- Jadeveon Clowney the former Gamecock defensive end was chosen as the first player overall in draft by the Houston Texans… He is the second player in South Carolina History to be the overall pick as the first was Heisman Trophy winning running back George Rogers in the 1981 draft… He joins former South Carolina teammates a D.J. Swearinger and Johnathan Joseph on the Texan’s roster.
- Former Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins was selected as the 4th overall pick by the Buffalo Bills who though so highly of him that they traded up from the #9 spot with the Cleveland Browns to get him… He will join 4 other Clemson players on the Bills’ roster most notably CJ Spiller.
College Baseball Schedule for this weekend:
- Clemson … The 30-19 Tigers travel to South Bend, Ind. to take on Notre Dame in a three-game series beginning tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
- South Carolina … South Carolina (36-13 on the year) will host Missouri in a 3-game series starting at 7:00 and that game can be seen on Sports South and the entire series can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.