Local Sports Results:
- Golf…. One of the more successful seasons of the CHS golf team, the season came to an end yesterday at the AAA upper-state tournament at Timberlake CC in Chapin… Clinton got off to a rough start on the front side with but all golfers improved by 6-9 strokes on the back nine… Senior Hunter Nichols got to a great start by making birdie on the first hole but the season long back injury that has been plaguing him flared up on the second hole… Nichols tried to play through it making birdie on the fifth hole… On the 7th hole the back really began to bother him but Nichols wanted to continue trying to get the team to its first state tournament in a long time… However on the 11th hole the pain was too much to bear and Nichols had to withdraw from the tournament… The rest of the team continued to play extremely well on the back side with juniors Zach Davis and Michael Mann leading the way with a 3 over par 39 after both shot a 48 on the front side to shoot an 87… Harrison Fisher shot a 46 on the front but finished with a 6 over par 42 for an 88 total…. Caleb Moore shot a 113 improving 9 shots on the back side giving Clinton a total of 375… Coach Chris Wofford stated “I’m really proud of these guys… We finished 11-4, finished 2nd in the region tournament, and had three golfers make all-region… The biggest thing I’m proud of is that None of the guys knew that Hunter was gone except Harrison and they kept battling and did what we needed them to do to qualify when they could have thrown in the towel after the front 9… Those three (Mann, Davis, and Fisher) are back next year and I can’t wait to see how much they improve” … Congratulations to the Red Devils on a great season and my personal thanks to Coach Wofford for getting the information to us about each match.
- Track… This past Saturday the Red Devil track team competed in the State Qualifier track meet for 3A … The following qualified for the State Finals….Dee Jennings- 110 meter hurdles with a 4th place finish and a time of 15:00 sec, he also qualified for the 400 meter hurdles by winning 1st place with a time of 56.34 sec…Keiron Murphy- Boys Shot placed 3rd with a 49.01 ft throw and also the Discus with a throw of 143.50…Maleaka Neal – qualified for the state finals in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 15.77… Cynthia McHam- qualified for the state finals in the High Jump with a jump of 5 ft… Congratulations and good luck to all these athletes.
- Track… Also this past Saturday members of the Raider track team were also involved in the AAA Qualifier… Elijah Case was the only member of the team who qualified to move on to the state finals this weekend… He finished 3rd overall in the 400 meter run with a time of 49.35 and 2nd in the 800 meter run with a time of 1:59.8… Congratulations and good luck to Elijah!
- Rankings… This week’s college baseball rankings according to the USA Today Coaches’ Poll have the same top 5 as last week…. Spots 1-5 are held by Virginia, Oregon St., Louisiana-Lafayette, Florida St. and Cal Poly… Spots 6-10 are held by Louisville & Oklahoma St. tied for 6th, South Carolina 8th, Vanderbilt 9th and LSU 10th… South Carolina and Vanderbilt have a big series coming up this weekend at Vandy…. Clemson just barley dropped out of the top 25 and would be 26th.
- Clemson… The Clemson Tiger baseball team traveled to South Bend this past weekend and the Fighting Irish of Notre dame were not very hospitable host as they took 2 of 3 games… They won 2-1 on Friday and 11-3 on Sunday… Clemson took the Saturday contest by a score of 8-0… The 31-21 Tigers (13-13 in ACC play) will be back in action tonight as they travel to Flour Field to take on Furman at 7:00.
- South Carolina… The Gamecocks had a good weekend as they swept a 3-game series with Missouri… The Gamecocks posted wins by scores of 8-2, 3-1 and 2-1… South Carolina will have its final regular season home game tonight at 7:00 pm as they host the Citadel looking to avenge a 10-8 loss in Charleston earlier this season.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive dropped a 10-3 decision at Flour Field last night to the West Virginia Power… They will finish the current series with the Power this afternoon at 2:05… Looks like a full day of baseball at Flour Field with the Drive and Tigers both playing there today.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.