- Mississippi 6 – TCU 4…. There was just 1 game last night out in Omaha in the CWS and that was an elimination game between Mississippi and TCU… In that game, Ole Miss took a 6-4 win… TCU now goes home and Ole Miss moves on to play Virginia tonight at 8:00 in a semifinals game… They must be Virginia twice (2nd game on Saturday if needed) to move on to the finals starting on Monday.
- Vanderbilt vs. Texas… The other semifinals game tomorrow will have Texas and Vanderbilt facing off at 3:00 pm… Similarly, Texas must be Vanderbilt twice to reach the finals on Monday… Again game 2 will be on Saturday if needed.
Braves: Braves 3 – Nationals 0… The Atlanta Braces opened their series with the Washington Nationals last night in DC with a 3-0 win to pull within a ½ game of the NL East leading Nationals…. The Braves pounded out 11 hits while 4 Braves pitchers held the Nationals to just 3 hits… Freddie Freeman led the Braves going 3-5 and scoring 2 runs but Chris Johnson went 2-4 but had all 3 RBIs for the Braves… The Braves and Nationals have 3 more games on the schedule for this weekend.
Greenville Drive: Sand Gnats 6 – Drive 3… The Greenville Drive opened the second half of their season last night at Flour Filed as they hosted the Savannah Sand Gnats in the first game of a 4-game series…. Both teams had had 8 hits but that is not what counts as Savannah took a 6-3 win over Greenville…. They will complete the series with a game each day this weekend.
- Sprint Cup… The Sprint Cup gang will be out at the Sonoma Raceway for a 350 mile race on Sunday.
- Sprint Cup Standings… Jeff Gordon leads with 537 points and 1 win in the chase for the Sprint Cup while Jimmie Johnson (522 pts, 3 wins) is second, Dale Earnhart Jr, is third (514 pts, 2 wins), Matt Kenseth 4th (513 pts, 0 wins) and Brad Keselowski is 5th (190 pts, 1 win)… The balances of the top 10 are Carl Edwards, Joey Logano, Kyle Larson, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick.
This & That:
Football Officials Wanted… Have you ever sat in the stands at a football game and said to yourself I can do as good a job as those “blind zebras” out there… Well now is your chance to prove that… The District 13 Football Officials Association is looking for a few good men or women to who want to be football officials… If you are interested, call Brian Shealy at the Clinton YMCA… The phone number there is 833-1555… Also you can come to their meetings which are held each Monday night in the meeting room at the Clinton YMCA to get more information… The meetings start at 6:00 pm… The last date to join them is Sunday, July 13th.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule;
- June 24-26, Ages 7-14, 9:00 – 11:00 am @ Collyar Park, Instructor: Coach Ed Prescott
- Cost: $55 Y-Members, $70 Non-Members
- June 24-26, Ages 7-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA soccer fields.
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- More information at www.southcarolinaunitedfc.com
- June 24-26, Ages 7-14, 9:00 – 11:00 am @ Laurens YMCA, Capacity 20
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $60 Non-Members
- Conducted by Ali Rogers, Former Miss South Carolina and Miss America 1st Runner-Up
- June 24-26, Ages: 5th – 8th graders, 9:00 – 11:00 am @ Laurens High School
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- This camp will be instructed by LDHS Head Volleyball Coach Diane Raabe
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule:
- June 23 – 27, 9 am-12 noon, boys age 6-12, Instructor: Coach Lee Atkinson
- Cost: $55 members, $60 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, June 20 at 5:00 pm
- July 7-10, Instructor: Coach Clovis Simmons
- 9-9:45 am boys & girls age 4-6
- 10-11 am boys & girls age 7-10
- 11-12 noon boys & girls age 11-up
- Cost: $35 members, $45 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit.
- Sign-up deadlines –July 19, at 5:00 pm
PC Sports Camps
The 2014 PC Women’s Individual Summer Basketball Camp will be held June 25 – 28… The Premier Girls Individual Basketball Camp at Presbyterian College is open to any and all girls ages 7-17 and it offers an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of basketball in a fun-filled and safe camp setting… For more information, contact Kat Kundmueller at (817) 271-6412 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. or click on the following link: 2014 PC Women’s Individual Summer Basketball Camp
The PC Lacrosse Program will have their Big Blue Summer Clinic on June 27-29… It is open to Young ladies in grades 8-12… They will be running both a TEAM CLINIC and an INDIVIDUAL CLINIC simultaneously at that time… The Individual Clinic will focus on both individual skills and game situations… For more information click on the following link: Big Blue Summer lacrosse Clinic Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.