CWS Notes: Vanderbilt 3 – Virginia 2… It was one whale of a game last night for the CWS Championship with both teams battling back and forth but when the last out was recorded Vanderbilt defeated Virginia 3-2 to claim its first CWS Championship in school history and as a matter of fact the first championship in any men’s sport for the Commodores.. The Commodores’ center fielder John Norwood had a solo homer in the 8th in what would prove to be the game’s winning run… Congratulations to the Commodores another SEC team to win the title.
Braves: Braves 4 – Astros 0… The Braves and Astros went at it in Houston last night and the Braves the Braves made it 2 in-a-row as they took a 4-0 win… The Braves only had 5 hits to the Astros 3 and Evan Gattis was the only Brave who had more than one as he went 2-4… However the offensive star for the Braves was Justin Upton who only had 1 hit a 2-run homer in the 6th and a sacrifice fly driving in another to give him 3 RBIs on the night… Alex Wood picked up the win going 7 innings giving up no runs and 3 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1… The Braves will try to pull out the brooms this afternoon as they go for a 3-game sweep of the Astros with the first pitch scheduled for 2:10 pm.
Greenville Drive: Tourist 11 – Drive 4… The Ashville Tourist won their second straight game over the Greenville Drive up in Ashville last night this time by a score of 11-4… The Tourist touched the two Drive pitchers for 16 hits 2 of which were 2-run homers while the Drive managed only 6 hits one of which was a solo shot… The Tourist and Drive will complete their current 4 game series tonight with the Drive needing a win to earn a split of the series.
Laurens County Speedway: Let’s recap the winners from last Saturday night’s main events out at the Laurens County Speedway.
- Limited… Defending track champion Billy Rushton took the checkered flag leading all the way… Frank Coates was 2nd and Kevin Baker finished in 3rd place.
- Crates… Dale Tims picked up his 4th win of the season in the Crates… Colby Cannon & Ted McDaniel were the next two across the finish line in that order.
- Hobby… Chris Patterson took the win in the Hobby division simply because he had the only car left running… All others fell by the wayside due to mechanical problems.
- SS4… Joe Gibson took the win in the Super Stock 4 with Dusty Eaves and Tim Collins finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively.
- Front Wheel Drive… And finally in the Front Wheel Drive, Joel Cabe, Justin Bryant and Travis Jameson were the first three across the finish line in that order.
World Cup… Well I don’t want to be accused of ignoring the most popular sport in the world ( they call it futball I call it soccer) especially since the World Cup is going on in Brazil, so I will remind you that the US will be taking on Germany today at noon and it can be seen on ESPN… Big game for both teams and if the US wins (or draws) they advance to knockout round (I think).
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 57 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 63 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 64 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
This & That: Football Officials Wanted… Have you ever sat in the stands at a football game and said to yourself I can do as good a job as those “blind zebras” out there… Well now is your chance to prove that… The District 13 Football Officials Association is looking for a few good men or women to who want to be football officials… If you are interested, call Brian Shealy at the Clinton YMCA… The phone number there is 833-1555… Also you can come to their meetings which are held each Monday night in the meeting room at the Clinton YMCA to get more information… The meetings start at 6:00 pm… The last date to join them is Sunday, July 13th.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule; Art Camp
- July 8-10, Ages: 6-9 / 10-15, 8:30 – 10:00 am / 10:30 – Noon @ Laurens YMCA
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $60 Non-Members
- Capacity 20 per age group, Instructed by Cindy Wright
- July 8-10, Ages: 5-13, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Laurens High School
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS Wresting Coach Rob Sheffield and Joseph Kemp
- July 15-17, Ages: 7 – Up, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Lakeside Country Club
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- For beginning anglers instructed by Jerry Poole
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule: Tennis Camp
- July 7-10, Instructor: Coach Clovis Simmons
- 9-9:45 am boys & girls age 4-6
- 10-11 am boys & girls age 7-10
- 11-12 noon boys & girls age 11-up
- Cost: $35 members, $45 non-members, **$5 discount if live inside city limit.
- Sign-up deadlines –July 19, at 5:00 pm
Boys Basketball Camp
- July 10-13, 9:30 am-11:30 am, boys age 6-12, Instructor: Coach Todd Frazier
- Cost: $35 members, $40 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, July 5 at 5:00 pm
- July 14-18, 9 AM – 12 Noon, Ages 8-13, Instructor: Terri Ray
- Cost: $145 per child, $20 discount per sibling
- Sign-up deadline – June 30 or $15 late fee
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.