- The Laurens Little League All-Star Coaches Pitch team competed in the state tournament over the weekend down in Irmo… They started as ended the tournament on a positive note taking an 18-2 win over Kingstree on Thursday night and ending their play with an 18-10 over Summerville yesterday… However between those two wins were 3 losses, one to Fort Mill – Tega Cay, Trenholm and Northwood all traditionally strong programs… Coach Don Hughes said he was proud of the way the team played together and despite the 3 losses and elimination from the tournament, the players all had a great time…
Braves: The Braves were in Philadelphia for a 4-game, 3-day series with the Phillies over the weekend:
- Friday: Braves 4 – Phillies 2… The Braves jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning when Freddie Freeman collected his 13th homer of the season a 3-run shot to centerfield… Freeman also had a RBI single in the 2nd inning as the Braves held on to take a 4-3 win.
- Saturday, Game 1: Braves 10 – Phillies 3… In the first game on Saturday afternoon, the Braves broke open a 4-2 game putting 5 runs on the board in the 8th inning in route to a 10-3 win… A couple of Philly errors helped the Braves get the lead early and a triple by Tommy La Stella drove in 3 runs in the big 8th inning…The Phillies actually outhit the Braves 9-7 but just did not get the hits at the right time.
- Saturday, Game 2: Braves 5 – Phillies 1…. In the nightcap on Saturday, Atlanta took a 5-1 win over Philadelphia… In this game the Braves outhit the Phillies 13-6 with Chris Johnson leading the Braves going 3-4 with an RBI… Tommy La Stella also delivered a key hit in this game like the previous game… This time it was a double driving in 2 runs.
- Sunday: Braves 3 – Phillies 2… The in the final game of the series, Atlanta pulled the brooms out of the closet and used them as they took a 3-2 win to sweep the 4-game series… Again the Phillies had more hits (13 to the Braves 7) but the Braves simply got theirs when it counted and the Phillies did not…. The Braves return home from the 11 day road trip and host the Mets in a 3 game series starting at 7:10 pm.
Greenville Drive: Meanwhile the Greenville Drive were also on the road up in Hickory, NC to start a 4-game series with the Crawdads…
- Friday: Hickory 6 – Greenville 4… In the first game on Friday, the Drive trailed 6-2 going into the top of the 8th inning when they attempted t rally putting 2 runs on the board but could get no closer as the Crawdads took a 6-4 win… Greenville did get 2 homeruns in the game, a solo shot by Kendrick Perkins in the 3rd inning and a 2-run homer by Carlos Asuage in the 8th.
- Saturday: Hickory 5 – Drive 4… In Saturday’s game, the Drive led 4-3 at the end of 7 innings but could not hold the lead as they gave up single runs in the 8th and 9th inning falling 5-4… The Drive had 1 homerun in the game by Kendrick Perkins.
- Sunday: Hickory 4 – Drive 3… The Drive and the Crawdads were tied 3-3 at end of 9 innings and went into extra innings where Hickory used a single, a walk, a hit batter and another walk-off single to take a 4-3 win over the Drive… The Crawdads played long ball in the game as 3 of their 12 hits were homers…. The teams will finish their current series in Hickory tonight.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 53 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 59 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 60 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
This & That: Football Officials Wanted… Have you ever sat in the stands at a football game and said to yourself I can do as good a job as those “blind zebras” out there… Well now is your chance to prove that… The District 13 Football Officials Association is looking for a few good men or women to who want to be football officials… If you are interested, call Brian Shealy at the Clinton YMCA… The phone number there is 833-1555… Also you can come to their meetings which are held each Monday night in the meeting room at the Clinton YMCA to get more information… The meetings start at 6:00 pm… The last date to join them is Sunday, July 13th.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule; Art Camp
- July 8-10, Ages: 6-9 / 10-15, 8:30 – 10:00 am / 10:30 – Noon @ Laurens YMCA
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $60 Non-Members
- Capacity 20 per age group, Instructed by Cindy Wright
- July 8-10, Ages: 5-13, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Laurens High School
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS Wresting Coach Rob Sheffield and Joseph Kemp
- July 15-17, Ages: 7 – Up, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Lakeside Country Club
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- For beginning anglers instructed by Jerry Poole
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule: Tennis Camp
- July 7-10, Instructor: Coach Clovis Simmons
- 9-9:45 am boys & girls age 4-6
- 10-11 am boys & girls age 7-10
- 11-12 noon boys & girls age 11-up
- Cost: $35 members, $45 non-members, **$5 discount if live inside city limit.
- Sign-up deadlines –July 19, at 5:00 pm
Boys Basketball Camp
- July 10-13, 9:30 am-11:30 am, boys age 6-12, Instructor: Coach Todd Frazier
- Cost: $35 members, $40 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, July 5 at 5:00 pm
- July 14-18, 9 AM – 12 Noon, Ages 8-13, Instructor: Terri Ray
- Cost: $145 per child, $20 discount per sibling
- Sign-up deadline – June 30 or $15 late fee
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.