MLB: All-Star game: AL 5 – NL 3… Last night up in Minneapolis, MLB held the Derrick Jeter tribute game, I mean the All-Star Game and the American league will have home field advantage in this year’s world Series as they took a 5-3 win over the National League… Derrick Jeter did start and go 2-2 and score 1 of the AL’s runs…The AL jumped out to a 3-0 lead after 1 inning with Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera getting a 2 run homer in the first… For you Brave fans, Freddie Freeman did get in the game and went 1-1… Also Braves reliever Craig Kimbrel pitched 1 inning and recorded 3 strikeouts… The Braves will take a couple of days off and then start a home stand with the Phillies Friday night.
Greenville Drive: Drive 9 – Braves 4… After losing 17 games in a row but then winning their last 3 games at home, the Greenville Drive started a short 3-game road trip in Rome, Ga. taking on the Braves… Well good news for Drive fans as they made it 4 in-a-row as they took a 9-4 win over the Braves… The Drive pounded out 16 hits to the Braves 9 with Drive first baseman Tim Robertson going 3-5 with one of those hits being a solo homer.
Laurens County Speedway…. As usual, there was racing out at the Laurens County Speedway last Saturday night so let’s take a quick look back at the results for each division’s main event.
- Front Wheel Drive… Scott Isbell passed Travis Jamison on the next-to-last lap to take his first win with Jamison and Josh Timmons finishing second and third… Seems there was a bad case of “road rage” as Joel Cabe and Chris Hill got into a “demolition derby” like case of tag with their cars and were disqualified and had to pay for their “fun & game” with cash and drivers points… Oh well, boys will be boys.
- Limited… Michael Smith led almost wire-to-wire to take the win in the Limited Division… Brad Rachels challenged but finished second with B.J. Eubanks third.
- Hobby… Bobby Tucker was also a first time winner for the season last Saturday night with his win coming in the Hobby Division… The race was tight through the early going but with about 4 laps to go Tucker pulled away from Mart Patterson and Dan Lawson who were the next two across the finish line in that order.
- Crates… In the Crates, Colby Cannon took the checkered flag in the main event… Larry Grub finished second and Dale Timms third.
- SS4… And finally in the Super Stock 4 there was another driver who picked up his first win of the season in the person of Dusty Baker… Baker led wire-to-wire and Tim Collins and Joe Gibson were the next two across the finish line
- Remember, gates open at 6:00 each Saturday night and racing starts at 8:00 out at the Laurens County Speedway where they do dirt right.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 37 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 43 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 44 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule; Archery Camp
- July 22-24, Ages 7-12, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 40 and instructed by Ed Prescott
- July 23-25, Ages 3-6, 9:00 – 11:00 @ Laurens YMCA
- Cost: $35 Y-Members, $40 Non-Members
- Gym-style games and activities instructed by Josie Parker & YMCA staff
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS head Boys Basketball Coach Ben Sinclair
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ First Presbyterian Church
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 15 and instructed by Ray Bell
Clinton YMCA: The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule: Karate Camp
- July 21-24, 1:30 pm-3:00 pm, boys & girls age 8-up, Instructor Master Johnny Kelley
- Cost: $40 members, $45 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, July 18 at 5:00 pm
- July 21-25, 9:30 am – 10-30 am, youth ages 8-11, Instructor – Sanna Kay Davis
- 10:30 am – noon, Youth ages 12-13
- Cost: $70 members, $75 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- (Includes $15 material fee per camper), Sign-up deadline – Friday, July 11 at 5:00 pm
City of Laurens Parks and Recreation
Outdoor Adventure Camp. This camp will be held at the Upland Wings Preserve July 21st – 25th. Campers will learn techniques on various outdoor activities including hunting and fishing. On the last day of the camp the campers will take the DNR hunters certification course. This camp is for ages 12-15 and cost is. $60. For more information please call 681-7275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To register please visit the Little River park daily from 2:30-7.
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.