Clinton Dixie Youth… Two all-star teams from Clinton were in action this weekend down in Florence in the state tournament.
- AAA (9-10): Clinton 12 – Lancaster 0… On Saturday morning, the 9-10 AAA All-Star team opened up play against Lancaster and pitching was the key to the game for the Clinton team as they took a 12-0 win… Will Stewart and RT Corley combined to pitch the no-hit shut out with Stewart pitching the first 3 innings and allowing just 1 walk… Austin Copeland had an outstanding diving catch in the fourth inning in center field that ended any possible threat from Lancaster… Wil Stewart also led Clinton at the plate with 2 singles and 2 RBI’s followed by Luke White with a key single in the bottom of the 4th inning and 2 RBI’s that ended the game…. Wyatt McWatters, Justin Copeland, Austin Copeland, Zach Foreman, and KJ Adams all had run producing hits….
- Majors (11-12): Lake Marion 11 – Clinton 1… The news was not quite as good for the 11-12 Majors team as Lake Marion took a 11-1 win Saturday morning… Clinton picked up their lone run in the 4th inning when Jack Carroll doubled to drive in Bryant Cantrell…
Braves: The Braves played host to the Philadelphia Phillies over the weekend down at The Ted.
- Friday: Braves 6 – Phillies 4… On Friday the Braves opened the second half of their season with a 6-4 win over the Phillies… The Phillies led early but the Braves put 4 on the board in the 2nd inning to go up 4-2 then added 2 in the 5th and hung on for the win… Jason Heyward and Chris Johnson led the Braves attack both going 2-4 with one of Heyward’s hits being a solo homer in the second inning… Santana got the win and Kimbrel the save.
- Saturday: Phillies 2 – Braves 1… Then on Saturday the Phillies Cole Hamels and the Braves Aaron Harang hooked up in a pitchers’ duel with Hamels and the Phillies coming out on top as they took a 2-1 win… The Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins had a 2-run homer off Atlanta reliever Shae Simmons in the 7th inning to drive in what would prove to be the winning runs… Chris Johnson drove in Justin Upton in the bottom of the 6th inning for the Braves only run.
- Sunday: Braves 8 – Phillies 2… Then yesterday the Braves took an 8-2 win over Philadelphia to win the series 2-1… The Phillies actually outhit the Braves 9-8 but the Braves were able to get the key hits when needed… Chris Johnson had a 2-run homer in the second inning for the Braves and second baseman Tommy LaStella cleared the bases with a 2-out bases loaded double in the third inning… The Braves are tied for Washington for the lead in the NL East and will remain at home as they start a 4-games series with the Marlins tonight.
Greenville Drive: The last place Greenville Drive hosted the first place Ashville Tourist over the weekend in between rain showers… The teams were rained out on Friday but did manage to get 1 game in on Saturday which the Tourist won 6-3…Yesterday the teams managed to get in a doubleheader and the Tourist took both games… The score of the first game was 3-1 and the second 3-2… Close but no cigar for the Drive… The teams will conclude the 4-game series with a game scheduled to start at 11:05 this morning and then the Drive will hit the road for a northern swing starting on Wednesday.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 32 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 38 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 39 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule;
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS head Boys Basketball Coach Ben Sinclair
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ First Presbyterian Church
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 15 and instructed by Ray Bell
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule:
- Date TBA , 9:30 am – noon, girls ages 5-12, Instructor – Coach Laurie Addison
- Cost: $50 members, $55 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, TBA at 5:00 pm
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.