The Blue Hose football schedule this year includes 6 home games… The first home game is Sept. 6th as they host Bluefield… The other home games are against Furman, Western Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Monmouth and Liberty… Some of these games will be at night as PC is installing lights at Bailey Memorial Stadium this summer… Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2014 PC Season Football Ticket Information
- Clinton 9-10 DY All-Stars… Sumter 11 – Clinton 6… The Clinton 9-10 DY All-Star team had to endure weather delays and power outages Sunday night before they got to play their second round game in Florence… When the game finally ended just before midnight, the Sumter team posted an 11-6 win over Clinton… Clinton is the visitors with Davis Wilson taking the mound for the Allstars. Top half of the 1st saw Zach Fortman and Wil Stewart reach base on walks. Fortman is out at 2nd trying to steal. Davis Wilson singles to right moving Stewart to 2nd. Unfortunately a strike out and a fly ball end Clinton’s half of the inning. Bottom of 1st saw Sumter score 4 runs on 2 walks, 2 singles and a double. Top of 2nd saw Clinton draw 2 walks but no runs scored. 2 Clinton errors proved costly as Sumter put up 2 more runs in their half of the 2nd and Fortman comes in to relieve Wilson on the mound. Clinton gets on the board in the 3rd as Fortman beats out an infield single and eventually comes around to score on a fielder’s choice by Stewart. Fortman retires Sumter in order to close out the 3rd inning. KJ Adams scores Clinton’s 2nd run in the top of the 4th after he singles and scores as Collin Stewart beats out an infield hit. Sumter scores 5 in the bottom of the 4th on key walks and timely hitting to put the game away, all coming with 2 outs. RT Corley comes in relief of Fortman to end the inning getting the 3rd out on a soft liner to Wilson at 3rd base. The top half of the 5th saw Clinton rally for 4 runs to cut the deficit to 11-6 with 1 inning to play. Blake Barker reached on a fielder’s choice. Justin Copeland drew a walk followed by his twin brother Austin’s infield single. Fortman beat out a ground ball at 1st scoring Barker. Stewart drove a single to right field scoring Justin Copeland. Wilson drew a bases loaded walk bringing in Austin Copland. A fielder’s choice by Davidson Pitts scores Fortman for Clinton’s last run ending the rally. Both teams go quietly in the 6th. Final score Sumter American 11 Clinton 6. Head Coach Matt Stewart commented after the game, “Very proud of the way our kids battled and fought the whole game. We put ourselves in a hole there early and just couldn’t overcome it. Made some mistakes tonight we don’t normally make with our pitching and defense and just couldn’t get the big hit we needed with runners in scoring position. Hats off to Sumter, excellent team. They made us pay for our mistakes like good teams do and hit the ball extremely well. They were the better team tonight. Told our kids it’s not over, we’re still in it. Our goal as it has been all season remains the same: WIN 1 GAME!!!!! “… Clinton was scheduled to play yesterday but rained forced the game to be rescheduled to today at 11:00am…(Game narrative provided by Coach Matt Stewart)
- Little League Big League World Series… If you remember I mentioned to you a few weeks ago that 2 current and 1 former Laurens Raider baseball players had been chosen to play for the host District 1 team… They are Grayson Bailes, Thomas Jones and Cody Smiley…. Well the action up in Easley for the 14th consecutive year gets started tonight with pre-tournament activities like the homerun derby, team walk and concert tonight… The action starts at 6:30 at the J.B. “Red” Owens Recreation Complex and is free to the public…. The District 1 team will start action tomorrow at 7:30 as they take on a team from Texas… Tickets will be $5:00 per game for adults and $3.00 for students with children under 5 admitted free… A tournament pass is available which will cost $30.00 for adults and $25.00 for students… For more information about the tournament, click on the following link: 2014 LL BLWS Tournament Information.
- 7 on 7 Passing Contest…. There will be a 7 on 7 passing contest this morning at LDHS starting at 10:00 am… In addition to Laurens, other schools attending are scheduled to be Clinton, Gaffney, BHP, Woodruff, Saluda, Boiling Springs, North Augusta and Ware Shoals… This marks your last chance to get to see how much progress the Red Devils and Raiders have made over the summer… Make plans to come out if you can.
Braves: Marlins 3 – Braves 1… The Atlanta Braves started a home series with the Miami Marlins last night in a rough way as the Marlins took a 3-1 win in 10 innings… The score was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation when the Fish were able to get a single, an intentional walk and an unintentional walk off Braves reliever Shae Simmons to load the bases… Garrett Jones then singled to drive in the winning runs…. The Braves picked up their lone run in the 1st inning when Andrelton Simmons drove in Justin Upton… Game 2 of the series is tonight in Atlanta.
Greenville Drive: Tourist 2 – Drive 0… The Greenville Drive finished their 4 game series with the Ashville Tourist at Flour Field yesterday afternoon with a 2-0 loss to the Tourist… That gave Ashville a sweep of the series and extended the Drive’s current losing streak to 7 games… The Drive are off tonight and will start a road trip with the first stop being in Lakewood, NJ on Wednesday in a 11:05 contest with the BlueClaws.
ACC Media Days… Well the ACC wrapped up its Media Days yesterday up in Greensboro, NC… The media voted on who they thought would win each of the ACC’s divisions, the ACC Championship and the probable player of the year… In the Coastal Division, Miami was picked to finish 1st with Duke 2nd… In the Atlantic Division, Florida State was picked to win it with Clemson 2nd… As for the ACC Championship, Florida State pulled down 104 votes and Clemson and Virginia Tech finished tied for 2nd with 2 first place votes each… As for the ACC Player of the Year, Florida State QB Jameis Williams was the runaway favorite of the media…. For more detailed information on the media votes, click on the following link: 2014 ACC Media Football Pre-season Polls.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 31 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 37 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 38 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule;
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS head Boys Basketball Coach Ben Sinclair
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ First Presbyterian Church
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 15 and instructed by Ray Bell
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule:
- Date TBA , 9:30 am – noon, girls ages 5-12, Instructor – Coach Laurie Addison
- Cost: $50 members, $55 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, TBA at 5:00 pm
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.