- Clinton 9-10 DY All-Stars: Clinton 5 – Maple Park 1… The Clinton 9-10 Dixie Youth All-Star team got back into action yesterday morning as they faced Maple Park out of Florence in an elimination game… Good news for the Clinton fans as they defeated Maple Park 5-1… Wil Stewart once again provided excellent starting pitching. Stewart pitched a complete game 3 hitter, giving up just 1 earned run. Top half of the 1st inning saw Stewart and Davis Wilson single for Clinton, but left stranded on base. Stewart retired Maple Park in the 1st allowing a bloop single. Neither team managed to score in the 2nd. 3rd inning saw Maple Park break out on top with a single and 1 run scored. Clinton rallied for 3 runs in their half of the fourth. Wilson led off with a double off the fence. Austin Copeland drew a walk. Both runners advance on a passed ball. Luke White comes up big and drives a single to right scoring Wilson and Copeland. White advances to 3rd on throwing errors. RT Corley drives in White on a fielder’s choice. Stewart holds Maple Park scoreless in their half of the inning. Clinton kept the momentum going scoring 2 runs in the top of the 5th. Blake Barker draws a leadoff walk. Zach Fortman dives a 2 strike single to center. Justin Copeland beats out a bunt scoring both Barker and Fortman giving Clinton a 5-1 lead. Maple Park threatens by getting runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs from a single, a walk and a passed ball. Wilson stabs a hard grounder at 3rd, throws to Barker at home for the tag out. Runners now at 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Stewart induces a flyout to Austin Copeland in center and strikes out the next batter to end the threat. Clinton goes down in order in the 6th. Stewart gets a flyout and ground out for the 1st 2 outs of the 6th, but follows that with 3 straight walks before a Maple Park flyout to center ends the game. Head Coach Matt Stewart commented: ” Can’t say enough about the job Wil Stewart did on the mound today. He did an excellent job of keeping Maple Park off balance with his fastball location and off speed pitches. Our defense played extremely well behind him. Great starting pitching and defense was the difference. The play Wilson made at 3rd for the tag out was huge for us stopping any momentum they had. Still alive and same goal WIN 1 GAME!!!!!… The team will be back in action tonight as they face Aynor in elimination round game… (Game summary provided by Coach Matt Stewart)
- Clinton 11-12 DY All-Stars: North Charleston 6 – Clinton 2…. Unfortunately the news is not as good for the 11-12 Major All-Star team as they lost to North Charleston by a score of 6-2 on Sunday to eliminate them from the tournament… Clinton fell behind early and trailed 6-0 going into the bottom of the sixth but did not give up as they battled back getting their 2 runs but the rally fell short… Congratulations to the team for making the tournament and their effort.
- Little League Big League World Series… One final local note, a quick reminder that the Big League World Series kicks off for real today in Easley and the host team which has 3 current or former Laurens Raiders will play tonight at 7:30… Grayson Bailes, Thomas Jones, Cody Smiley and the rest of the District 1 team will be facing a team from Texas… The tournament is taking place at the J.B “Red” Owens recreation Complex… Tickets will be $5:00 per game for adults and $3.00 for students with children under 5 admitted free… A tournament pass is available which will cost $30.00 for adults and $25.00 for students… For more information about the tournament, click on the following link: 2014 LL BLWS Tournament Information.
Braves: Marlins 6 – Braves 5… The Miami Marlins made it two-in-a-row last night as they defeated the Braves 6-5 in Atlanta last night… The Braves found themselves trailing 6-2 after 4 innings and did manage to rally putting 3 runs on the board in the 8th inning but could get no closer… Jason Heyward & Chris Johnson led the Braves going 2-4 with Heyward collecting 3 RBIs … Justin Upton had a solo homer in the 3rd inning…. The Braves and the Marlins will play game 3 of the 4-game series tonight in Atlanta.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive were off last night and start a week long road trip with the first stop being in Lakewood, NJ this morning at 11:05 to start a 3-game series with the BlueClaws.
ACC Media Days… Well the ACC wrapped up its Media Days Monday up in Greensboro, NC… The media voted on who they thought would win each of the ACC’s divisions, the ACC Championship and the probable player of the year… In the Coastal Division, Miami was picked to finish 1st with Duke 2nd… In the Atlantic Division, Florida State was picked to win it with Clemson 2nd… As for the ACC Championship, Florida State pulled down 104 votes and Clemson and Virginia Tech finished tied for 2nd with 2 first place votes each… As for the ACC Player of the Year, Florida State QB Jameis Williams was the runaway favorite of the media…. For more detailed information on the media votes, click on the following link: 2014 ACC Media Football Pre-season Polls.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 30 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 36 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 37 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule;
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS head Boys Basketball Coach Ben Sinclair
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ First Presbyterian Church
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 15 and instructed by Ray Bell
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule:
- Date TBA , 9:30 am – noon, girls ages 5-12, Instructor – Coach Laurie Addison
- Cost: $50 members, $55 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, TBA at 5:00 pm
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.