Clinton 9-10 DY All-Stars… Well the first thing we need to do today is catch up of the Clinton 9-10 All-Star team who have been in action in the state tournament down in Florence. (Narratives provided by Coach Matt Stewart)
- Wed.: Clinton 11 – Aynor 2… Wednesday night the team faced off against Aynor and took an 11-2 win… Zach Fortman took the mound and once again provided excellent starting pitching. Fortman gave up only 3 hits in 3 innings before giving way to Davis Wilson and RT Corley in relief. 1st inning saw Clinton get 1 run off a Fortman walk and Luke White single. The 2nd inning saw Clinton put up 8 runs and build a 9-0 lead. RT Corley led off with single followed by a walk to KJ Adams, a double steal put runners at 2nd and 3rd. Davidson Pitts grounded into a fielder’s choice scoring Corley moving Adams to 3rd. 3 more Aynor walks and a passed ball pushed Adams across the plate. Aynor would continue to struggle on the mound walking 2 more before a Justin Copeland single would score Wyatt McWatters. Will Stewart draws a bases loaded walk scoring Blake Barker followed by an Aynor throwing error on a Luke White ground ball which scores Fortman and Justin Copeland. Austin Copeland singles in Stewart to round out the scoring giving Clinton a 9 run lead. Fortman and the Clinton defense continues to impress keeping Aynor scoreless through 3 complete innings. The 4th would see Aynor score 2, but it would not be enough as Wilson and Corley would hold them scoreless the rest of the game. Clinton closed out the scoring in the 6th as Corley and Adams led off with singles putting runners at 1st and 2nd. McWatters singled to score Corley and Barker would push across Adams with a sac fly to right to put Clinton up 11-2. Head Coach Matt Stewart commented: “Great job once again by Zach Fortman on the mound and our defense was outstanding behind him, Wilson and Corley did a great job in relief. Our pitching and defense continues to carry us. To reach the semis in the state tournament is an outstanding accomplishment, but it’s not over, it’s just one more step. The kids continue to remain focused on one goal: WIN 1 GAME!!!!!”… Stats: Justin Copeland 2-3, 1 RBI; Davis Wilson 1-2 DBL; Luke White 1-3 3 RBI; Austin Copeland 1-3 1 RBI; RT Corley 2-3; KJ Adams 1-2 & Wyatt McWatters 1-2
- Thur.: Clinton 4 – Parks Field 3… The win of Wednesday night allowed Clinton to advance to the semi-finals yesterday at noon… Good news again as Clinton took a 4-3 win over Parks Field in extra innings… Zach Fortman pitches 5 and a 3rd strong innings scattering 4 hits and 3 runs to keep Clinton alive in the 9-10 All-star Tournament in Florence with a 4-3 win over Parks Field American from Summerville… Wil Stewart came on in the 5th to keep Parks Field scoreless thru the 8th giving up only 1 hit, RT Corley pitched a scoreless 9th for the all-stars… Clinton got the scoring started in the 1st with a single from Justin Copeland… He was brought home by Davis Wilson’s triple to the fence in left field. Wil Stewart comes up big and drives in Wilson on a fielder’s choice. Fortman holds Parks field scoreless thru 2 innings… The all-stars go down in order in the 2nd but manage to put 1 run up in 3rd. Justin Copeland reaches on catcher’s interference, Wilson is hit by a pitch. Stewart singled for his 2nd RBI driving in Copeland. The 3rd, 4th and 5th inning saw Parks Field score 3 and Clinton held scoreless. Both teams go down quietly behind excellent pitching and defense until Clinton wins it in the home half of the 9th… Zach Fortman draws a leadoff walk. Justin Copeland pops up to the catcher. Wilson walks and both runners advance on a passed ball to 2nd and 3rd with 1 out… Wil Stewart begins his at bat right handed but after the passed ball switches to the left side and drives walk off ground ball to the right side scoring the winning run and his 3rd RBI of the game. Coach Stewart commented: “Wow what a game!! Hats off to Parks Field and their team. We had to fight and battle the whole game, they played a great game. Can’t say enough about our kids, never quit or gave up, our pitching and defense was excellent. We continue to focus on the little things and at this level that’s exactly what matters. Everybody can do the big things, but the little things win games. We’re still alive, and our goal remains the same: WIN 1 GAME!!!!… The team will be back in action today at 10:00 am
LLBLWS SC District 1 Team … A quick reminder that the SC District 1 team which has 3 local players on it will be back in action tonight at 7:30 in the Little League Big League World Series up in Easley… They will be taking ion a team representing the Central Region from Grand Rapids, Michigan…
Braves: Marlins 3 – Braves 2… The Miami Marlins took a 3-2 win in Atlanta last night thus allowing the Marlins to take the current series from the Braves 3 games to 1… The game was tied 2-2 going into the 9th inning when they brought in usually reliable Craig Kimbrel to hold The Fish… However 2 wild pitches proved to be his Achilles heel last night as they figured prominently into the Marlins getting the winning run off him… The Braves then went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 9th… Justin Upton led the Braves’ hitting going 3-4 and Chris Johnson had a solo homer for the Braves… The Braves will remain at home and start a 4-game series with the Padres tonight.
Greenville Drive: Lakewood 8 – Greenville 3… After winning their first game against the Lakewood BlueClaws up in NJ on Wednesday, the Drive slipped back into their old habits as they lost 8-3
Carolina Panthers… The Carolina Panthers Fan Fest will be tonight in Charlotte as the Carolina Panthers conduct their first preseason practice at newly renovated Bank of America Stadium to kick off the franchise’s 20th season…Admission is free, and all fans will receive a 2014 team roster photo card with a 2014 schedule… Then on Saturday the pre-season training camp opens in Spartanburg at Wofford College… Click on the following link for the practice schedule at Wofford and special happenings on certain days of spring training: Panthers Training Camp Schedule.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 28 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 34 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 35 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Upcoming Summer Camps – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
The Laurens YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long… You can get a $10 discount on each camp by registering the Friday prior to each camp… Call the YMCA at 984-2626 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule;
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ Laurens YMCA Gym
- Cost: $40 Y-Members, $50 Non-Members
- Instructed by LDHS head Boys Basketball Coach Ben Sinclair
- July 29-31, Ages 9-16, 6:00 – 8:00 pm @ First Presbyterian Church
- Cost: $45 Y-Members, $55 Non-Members
- Capacity 15 and instructed by Ray Bell
The Clinton YMCA will be having summer sport and specialty camps all summer long also … Call the YMCA at 833-1555 for more information about this or any of the camps… The following are the next camps on their schedule:
- Date TBA , 9:30 am – noon, girls ages 5-12, Instructor – Coach Laurie Addison
- Cost: $50 members, $55 non-members **$5 discount if live inside city limit
- Sign-up deadline – Friday, TBA at 5:00 pm
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.