Big League World Series… The Big League World Series continued this weekend up in Easley and 3 players with ties to Raider baseball (Cody Smiley, Grayson Bailes & Thomas Jones) all saw time on the field for the SC Dist 1 team who played 3 games in 3 days.
- Friday: SC 11 – Central 4… On Friday night the SC team found themselves 4-2 going into the top of the 7th inning after being throttled by the big left-hand pitcher Austin Batka that the Central team from Michigan started the game with… He pretty much kept the SC hitters off stride giving up only 2 runs on 3 hits while striking out 6 but walking 7… After he left the game at the end of 5 SC started finding their bats a little warmer… The top of the 7th saw the leadoff hitter get on with a single then was brought home on a line-drive homer just inside the foul pole down the leftfield line by Emerald’s Matthew Mulkey… The next batter struck out then the wheels really came off the wagon for the Central team as SC plated 6 more runs in the inning to take an 11-4 lead and then held on to take the win… None o the No Laurens player had a hit but Thomas Jones was hit by a pitch and walked in the 7th inning and later scored in that big inning both times… Click on the following for the game box score:7-25-14-BLWS-SCD1-Central Click on the following the game scorecard: 7-25-14-BLWS-SCD1-Central_Scorecard
- Saturday: SC 7 – Southeast 6…. On Saturday the SC team ran their record to 3-0 in pool play as they defeated the Southeast team 7-6… SC jumped on top with 3 runs in the 1st inning and 4 in the 3rd to make the score 7-1… The team from Florida did not go quietly though as they picked up 2 in the 5th and 3 in the 6th to make the game too close for comfort… Cody Smiley led SC going 3-4 win an RBI and run scored in the game… Grayson Bailes played a solid game on defense and Thomas Jones did not play… Wren’s L.T. Tolbert had a solo homer in the 1st inning… Click on the following for the game box score: 7-26-14-BLWS-SCD1-Southeast Click on the following the game scorecard: 7-26-14-BLWS-SCD1-Southeast_Scorecard
- Sunday: Southwest 7 – SC 3… Yesterday afternoon the SC team lost its first game to a team from California representing the West by a score 7-3… Not to say that the game was meaningless but the SC team had pretty much punched its ticket into the US Semifinals on Tuesday as they were the only undefeated US team headed into yesterday’s play…Before the game Coach Greg Powell stated he was running low on pitchers and it might be by committee in the game… The West team jumped out to a 3-0 lead going into the bottom of the 4th inning when SC struck for 3 runs to tie the game… Laurens’ Thomas Jones, who went 2-3 in the game, had a 2-run double in the inning which tied the game…However that would be the only runs scored by SC as the West team added 1 in the 5th and 3 in the 6th to take the win … Cody Smiley went 1-3 scoring 1 run for the SC team… The team is off today and will face an opponent TBD on Tuesday at 7:30 in the US-Semifinals with the winner of that game advancing to the finals on Wednesday at 6:30…. Click on the following for the game box score: 7-27-14-BLWS-SCD1-West Click on the following the game scorecard: 7-27-14-BLWS-SCD1-West_Scorecard
Clinton 9-10 All-Star Team… Please check back tomorrow and I’ll have an update on the Clinton 9-10 All-Star team that was in action this weekend in Florence.
Braves: The Braves started a 4-game series with the Padres on Friday so let’s look at the results in the first 3 games.
- Friday: Padres 5 – Braves 2… On Friday the Padres opened the series with a 5-2 win over the Braves… The Padres had 13 hits to the Braves 4…. “I’ve never seen so many ground balls go through the infield,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. “I think he kept getting ground balls and they just kept getting through the infield, really. That’s the bottom line. … We just couldn’t get them to hit it at anybody really, and that was it. That was the game.”… The only Brave with more than 1 hit was Freddie Freeman with 2.
- Saturday: Braves 5 – Padres 3…. On Saturday the Braves rebounded and took a 5-3 win over the padres… The Braves offense came back to life as they got 11 hits on the night… Julio Teheran didn’t have his best stuff on the mound — he was good enough to last six innings and notch his 10th win — but he contributed with his bat, plating Chris Johnson with a squeeze bunt… Tommy La Stella and Freddie Freeman led the Braves with 3 hits each.
- Sunday: Braves 8 – Padres 3…. Yesterday the Braves took game 3 of the series by a score of 8-3… The Braves had only 8 hits to the Padres’ 10… The only Brave with more than 1 hit was BJ Upton but 3 other Braves made timely use of their lone hit as they each drove in 2 runs… Those 3 Braves were Justin Upton, Chris Johnson and Ryan Doumit… The Braves and Padres finish their series today with a 12:10 pm start so the Braves can get out of town early as they start a trip to the west coast tomorrow with the first stop in LA to take on the Dodgers.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive were road this weekend.
- Friday: BlueClaws 5 – Drive 2… On Friday the Drive finished their series with the Lakewood BlueClaws with a 5-2 loss… This means the BlueClaws took the series 2 games to 1.
- Saturday: Drive 6 – Suns 5… On Saturday the Drive started a 4-game series with the Hagerstown Suns in Hagerstown, Maryland… The change of scenery must have done the trick because the Drive defeated the Suns 6-5… The Drive did this with timely hitting because the Suns outhit them 13-9
- Sunday: Drive 8 – Suns 2… Then yesterday something a little rare this season happened for the Drive, they won their second game in-a-row as they doubled up on the Suns winning 8-4… Game 3 of the 4-game series is tonight in Hagerstown at 7:05.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 25 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora, 31 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 32 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
Carolina Panthers… The Panthers will be practicing this morning from 9:25 – 11:35
PC Sports Camps
Baseball Camp Coach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.