PC Football fans mark Saturday August 23 on your calendar because that is when they will be having Football Fan Day at Bailey Memorial Stadium… The gates will open at 9:00 and a scrimmage starts at 10:00… The will also have a Kid Zone with face painting, inflatables and more… You will also be able to meet the Blue Hose before the game and get autographs… Free poster schedules and magnets will also be available… Admission to the event is FREE… So once again mark August 23rd on your calendar for the PC Football Fan Day
- Clinton 15 – Chesnee 14… After being down at one point by a score 14-3, the Clinton Red Devils rallied to take a 15-14 win over the Chesnee Eagles in a half of football action at the Woodruff Showcase last night… Clinton fell behind early with Chesnee scoring on a 58 yard pass play with 2:37 left in the first period… Clinton took the next possession down the field 7 plays when the drive stalled and they had to settle for a 23 yard field goal with 10:33 on the clock in the second period… Chesnee than went 51 yards to and scored on a short run and with the PAT the score stood 14-3 Eagles… Clinton then responded going 62 yards in 3 plays for the score… All but the last 3 yards came off the running of Shakeam Dowdy… The TD was a pass from Jay Fuller to Tay Cook… The PAT run failed so the Red Devils now scored by 5 points as the score stood 14-9 Chesnee… Chesnee had their next possession cut short when Lamonta Simpson stepped in to intercept the ball setting Clinton up on the Chesnee 34 with 6:48 to play… It took Shakeam Dowdy just 2 plays to cover the distance with score coming on a 13 yard run… The extra point attempt failed and Clinton led 15-14 with 6:15 left to play in the contest…The Clinton defense than held the Eagles out of the endzone on their next 2 possessions to take the win… A reminder that the Red Devils will be back in action tonight as the JV and varsity teams will take on Strom Thurmond at Wilder Stadium after Laurens takes on Dorman… The varsity action can be heard on the Red Devils Sports Network which will broadcast on the internet only at www.chsathletics.com and on their FM in-stadium transmitter which will be set around 88.1 on the FM dial.
- Laurens 7 – Chapman 6… The Laurens Raiders were also in action at the Woodruff Showcase last night and they too were victorious in a comeback win as they defeated the Chapman Panthers 7-6… Chapman connected on a long pass play in their first play from scrimmage that took them to the Laurens 3 yard line after a penalty was tacked on… They scored 2 plays later to make the score 6-0… The PAT attempt was blocked by Thomas Jones… The Raiders moved the football deep into Chapman territory but an interception stopped the drive… Miscues did hinder the raiders on several occasions during the game but the team finally got on the scoreboard with 10:51 left to play in the second period when Darius Harvey scored from 30 yards out on an end-around… Irvin Angeles added what would turn out to be the winning point on the PAT kick… DQ Floyd picked up several yards running the ball for the Raider and the Raiders defense made several big stops including one pass interception by Chuck Johnson and several near misses on others… The Raiders will be in action today tonight at Wilder Stadium in Clinton with the JVs taking on Dorman at 6:00 and the varsity playing a half of football after the JVs… Real Radio 860 WLBG will bring you the varsity action starting about 6:45 and we will also have our in-stadium transmitter set at 95.7… Hope you can make it over but if not, join Doug, King and myself as we bring you all the action.
Dodgers 6 – Braves 4… After taking a 1-run win on Wednesday night, the Braves fell to the LA Dodgers yesterday afternoon by a score of 6-4… The Braves fell behind early and trailed 4-0 at the end of three innings… The trailed 5-1 going into the bottom of the 8th inning when they struck for 3 runs to cut the deficit to just 1 run… However they would get no closer as the Dodgers added 1 in the 9th inning and the Braves had runners on third and second in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out but just could not get the clutch hit…. Freddie Freeman collected 3 of the Braves 11 hits to lead them offensively… The Braves start a 3 games series with the Oakland Athletics tonight at 7:35 at Turner Field.
Savannah Sand Gnats 4 – Greenville Drive 0…. The Greenville Drive started a 4-game series down on the coast of Georgia last night with the Savannah Sand Gnats… The Gnats pitchers held the Drive to just 4 hits as they took a 4-0 win over the Drive.
Carolina Panthers will host the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday at 8:00 pm at the bank of America Stadium in Charlotte… The game can be seen on Fox.
NASCAR… The Sprint Cup Series will race at the Michigan International Speedway on Sunday at 1:00 pm and can be seen on ESPN and the Nationwide Series will be racing at the Mid-Ohio car Course tomorrow at 2:45 and can also be seen on ESPN.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 7 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora and Laurens Academy opens hosting Coastal Christian, 13 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 14 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
This & That
- Season Tickets on sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.