The Clinton YMCA reminds you that there are only 4 days left to register for flag football and cheerleading… Flag football is open to youth 4-12 years old and will be broken down into 3 age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open those in grades K-6…. For more information, click on the following link or contact Brian Shealy at 833-1555. Clinton YMCA 2014 Flag Football and Cheerleading Information
Local Notes: Let’s take a look back at how CHS and LDHS did at the Clinton Jamboree last Friday Night where each varsity team played a half of football.
- Dorman 7 – LDHS 0… Twenty Four hours can make a big difference as well as a different opponent… The Laurens Raiders looked decent on offense on Thursday night against Chapman at Woodruff but on Friday as Coach Liner said after the game “We stunk and I’ll take the blame for that” as Laurens lost 7-0 to the Dorman Cavaliers… The Cavaliers always a strong offensive team netted about 110 yard of total offense (53 rushing & 57 passing) while the Raiders managed just 20 net yards (13 rushing & 7 passing)…. Dorman’s lone score came in the second period on a 3 yard run by their QB Aron Spann capping a 60 yard drive in 9 plays… With the Pat, the score was 7-0… Laurens has one final scrimmage at Newberry this Wednesday.
- JV: Dorman 13 – LDHS 0.
- Strom Thurmond 9 – CHS 0… The Clinton Red Devils had also been victorious in a comeback win over Chesnee at Woodruff on Thursday also found the going a little rougher on Friday as the Strom Thurmond Rebels took a 9-0 win over the Red Devils… Clinton turned the ball over on an interception to the Rebels in their first possession, Clinton’s defense held in the red zone and the Rebels came away with a 30 yard field goal to make it 3-0 with 7:53 on the clock in the first period… The Red Devil defense held again later in the as the Rebels got inside the 10 yard line and had to settle for a field goal attempt that went wide….The Rebels did score a TD late in the game on a short run but the extra point was missed making the final 9-0… The Rebels had about 167 yards of total net offense to Clinton’s 60 all but 3 of which were rushing with Shakeam Dowdy getting 51 of them… Clinton will start their regular season this Friday night as they travel to AC Flora for a 7:30 pm contest.
- JV: Strom Thurmond 6 – Clinton 0
Braves … The Braves hosted the Oakland Athletics in a 3-game series over the weekend so let’s see how they did.
- Friday: Braves 7 – Athletics 2… The story of Friday night’s game with the Athletics was “long ball” as the Braves used 4 homeruns to power them past the Athletics by a score of 7-2… Exactly half of the Braves 8 hits were homeruns as Justin Upton and Evan Gattis each had a solo homer… Phil Gosselin playing shortstop for the Braves had a 2-run homer and Freddie Freeman had a 3-run shot…. Alex Wood got the win going 6 innings giving up the 2 earned runs on 4 hits while striking out 1 and walking 3.
- Saturday: Braves 4 – Athletics 3…. On Saturday the Braves made it 2 in a row as they took a 4-3 win over the Athletics… The Braves jumped out in front scoring 2 runs in the first inning and adding one in the fourth to go up 3-0 and then held on to take the win… Chris Johnson led the Braves going 3-4 while Phil Gosselin and Andrelton Simmons each had 2 hits in the game… Julio Teheran got the win and Craig Kimbrel picked up his 36th save of the season.
- Sunday: Braves 4 – Athletics 3… The yesterday the Braves took another 4-3 win over the Athletics to complete the 3-game sweep… Both teams had 6 hits and each team had 6 hits and both teams had 2 homers among those 6 hits… Justin Upton led the Braves going 2-3 with a 2 run homer… Chris Johnson had the other homer for the Braves, a solo shot in the 7th inning… Mike Minor picked up the win pitching 7 strong innings with Craig Kimbrel picking up his 37th save of the season… The Braves now start a 10 game road trip with the first stop being in Pittsburg to start a 3-game series with the Pirates tonight at 7:05.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive were down on the coast of Georgia completing their 4-game series with the Savannah Sand Gnats over the weekend… If you recall, they lost the opener on Thursday night be a score of 4-0.
- Friday: Savannah 16 – Greenville 4.. On Friday the Drive collected 11 hits but only had 4 runs to show for it while the Sand Gnats had 15 hits but scored 16 runs to take the win… Three of the Gnats hits were homers as they jumped out to a 16-0 lead after 5 innings and never looked back.
- Saturday: Savannah 9 – Greenville 3… Savannah did not score 16 runs on Saturday but they did score 9 and that was enough as they took a 9-3 win over the Drive…. The Drive trailed 9-1 going into the top of the 9th inning and rallied for 2 runs in the 9th but it was too little too late.
- Sunday: Savannah 3 – Greenville 2… Then yesterday the Drive came close to taking a win but still no cigar as the Sand Gnats took a 3-2 win to sweep the series… Greenville led early but just could not hold it… The Drive have the night off tonight and will return home tomorrow night to start a 6-game home stand with the first team in being the Charleston RiverDogs.
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 4 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora and Laurens Academy opens hosting Coastal Christian, 10 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 11 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS
This & That
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration… For more information on any of thesecontact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members…
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.