Last raider Football Scrimmage… A quick reminder to Raider football fans that the Raiders will travel to Newberry this afternoon for their last scrimmage of the fall practice season to take on the Bulldogs at 6:00 pm… If you get the opportunity, go down and support the Raiders.
Clinton Volleyball… The Red Devils JV and varsity volleyball teams will have a scrimmage at CHS this afternoon… The JVs will start at 5:30 and the varsity as soon as they finished… Go on over if you want to see some sets and spikes.
Meet the Devils… Red Devil sports fans need to mark your calendar for this tomorrow night at 6:00 pm… Why? That is when the CHS will host the fall version of Meet the Devils… That is where they will introduce the coaches and players making up the different fall sports teams… The event will take place in the gym at the new CHS… By the way, they will also be introducing the Bell Street Wildcat teams… See you there.
Laurens County Speedway… Lets’ recap the results from the main events at the LCS last Saturday night.
- Limited… Billy Rushton picked up his 10th win of the season in the Limited Main Event to increase his division lead… Jimmy Taylor finished 2nd and Kris Norwood 3rd.
- Hobby… In the Hobby, Mart Patterson led from the start to the finish but face a challenge from Chris Patterson who finished second… Dan Lawson took third.
- SS4… In the Super Stock Four, Dusty Eaves also led wire-to-wire and picked up his 3rd win of the season in the division… Travis Sharpe and Tim Collins were the next two across the finish line.
- Crates… The Crates main event saw a first-time winner for this season in the person of Tony Quarles… Quarles led most of the race topping Colby Cannon and Larry Grube who finished second & third respectively.
- FWD… The Front Wheel Drive classification saw another repeat winner take the checkered flag as Joel Cabe won his 8th race of the season… Andrew Patterson and Spud Ammons rounded out the top three finishers.
- Reminder… The gates open at 6:00 pm and the racing starts at 8:00 at the LCS where they do dirt right.
Braves 11 – Pirates 3… The Atlanta Braves picked up their 5th win in-a-row last night and their second in as many nights over the Pirates as they took an 11-3 in Pittsburg… The Braves led 1-0 going into the top of the 3rd when Justin Upton put 3 runs on the board with his 24th homerun of the season… The Braves added 1 in the 4th, 5 in the 5th and Evan Gattis added a solo homer in the 9th inning as the Braves cruised to the win… The Braves had 14 hits on the night and Jason Hayward, Freddie Freeman, Evan Gattis and both BJ & Justin Upton all had 2 hits on the night… Aaron Harang picked up the win going 8⅓ innings giving up 3 earned runs on 9 hits while striking out 4 and walking none…. The Braves will finish their 3-game series in Pittsburg tonight and they hope to pull the brooms out and gain a sweep of the series.
Charleston 8 – Greenville 7… The Greenville Drive returned home to what they hoped would be the friendly confines of Flour Field to start a 3-game series with the Charleston RiverDogs… Unfortunately, Flour Field was just a little more friendly to the RiverDogs as they took an 8-7 win over the Drive
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 2 days until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora and Laurens Academy opens hosting Coastal Christian, 8 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 9 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
This & That
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Clinton YMCA is registering for flag football and cheerleading until August 21st… Flag football is open to youth 4-12 years old and will be broken down into 3 age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open those in grades K-6…. For more information, click on the following link or contact Brian Shealy at 833-1555. Clinton YMCA 2014 Flag Football and Cheerleading Information
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a cap and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.