Meet the Devils… Red Devil sports fans a reminder that today at 6:00 pm CHS will host the fall version of Meet the Devils… That is where they will introduce the coaches and players making up the different fall sports teams… The event will take place in the gym at the new CHS… By the way, they will also be introducing the Bell Street Wildcat teams… See you there.
SC Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame… Recently the SC Football Coaches Association announced who the first 9 inductees will be in their new Hall of Fame… Three of the nine have direct ties to our area and are former Greenwood Coach Pinky Babb, Willie Varner of Woodruff and Clinton’s own Keith Richardson… Those three coaches have won 970 games between them and 24 state championships… Others in the first class are Paul Chapman, Bob Rankin, Doug Shaw, Thomas Smith Sr., Joseph Turbeville and current coach at Summerville John McKissick who has been coaching since 1952 and has 613 wins more than any other coach… If you would like more information on these coaches, click here… Congratulations to Coach Richardson for making the inaugural selection into the SC Football Coaches Hall of Fame.
Pirates 3 – Braves 2… After tying the game with two runs in the eighth, the Pirates took advantage of a Justin Upton two-base error in the ninth as they took a 3-2 win over the Braves… The Pirates win snapped the Braves 5-game winning streak and put them 7 games behind the NL East leading Washington Nationals… Both teams managed just 5 hits each in the game and the Braves error in the 9th was the only error in the game and proved to be fatal… No Brave had more than 1 hit… The Braves remain on the road and will start a 4-game series with the Reds in Cincinnati tonight about 7:05.
Greenville Drive 7 – Charleston RiverDogs 2… The news is a little better for Greenville Drive fans as the Drive broke a 5-game losing streak last night when they defeated the Charleston RiverDogs 7-2 at Flour Field… The Drive pounded out 10 hits in the game and led 6-0 before allowing the RiverDogs to get their only 2 runs in the 6th inning… The big difference in the game is that 3 of the Drives’ hits were homeruns… The Drive will complete the current 3-game series with Charleston tonight at 7:05
Countdown to Start of Football Season: Hang on football fans it’s only 1 day until Clinton opens up its football season at AC Flora and Laurens Academy opens hosting Coastal Christian, 7 days until PC opens up at Northern Illinois and 8 days until Laurens host BHP in the start of the Chris Liner era at LDHS.
This & That
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
- Coach Chris Liner Show…. Be sure to join Coach Chris Liner each Monday night at the House of Pizza in the Western Square as they talk not only Raider football but football in general… They will start at 7:00 pm each Monday night beginning Monday, August 25th…There will specials during each show at the House of Pizza so bring the family and come enjoy the food and conversation… If you can’t make it, you can always catch the show on Real Radio 860 WLBG or on the internet at www.wlbg.com
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Clinton YMCA is registering for flag football and cheerleading until August 21st… Flag football is open to youth 4-12 years old and will be broken down into 3 age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open those in grades K-6…. For more information, click on the following link or contact Brian Shealy at 833-1555. Clinton YMCA 2014 Flag Football and Cheerleading Information
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a gat and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.