Local Sports Results:
- AC Flora 27 – Clinton 0…. The Red Devils traveled to AC Flora to open their season last Friday night and they knew it would be a tough game because of AC Flora’s preseason ranking as high as #5 in AAA… The Red Devils played them toe-to-toe for a half as the score stood 0-0 at the half… However Clinton gave up 27 unanswered points in the second half as the Falcons took a 27-0 win… The Red Devils offense had trouble getting untracked as they 113 net total yards (88 rushing) and Flora’s 335 (190 rushing)…Shakeam Dowdy was Clinton’s leading rusher netting 49 yard on 20 carries… The Red Devil defense did recover all 6 fumbles by the Falcons…. Clinton will travel to Greer this Friday… Click on the following for team statistics from the game: 2014-8-22-ACF-Team Click on the following for individual game statistics: 2014-8-22-ACF-Ind
- Was idle, will host BHP this Friday.
- L.A. 50 – Coastal Christian 8… Last Friday the Laurens Academy Crusaders hosted the Coastal Christian Cougars in the opening game of the season which also marked the return of Coach Todd Kirk the sideline as the head Coach of the Crusaders… If Friday’s game is any indication, he still appears to have the touch as the Crusaders took a 50-8 win over the Cougars… The Crusader defense got them on the board on the first play of the game scoring a safety and then went on to score 48 more unanswered points before the Cougars got on the board just before half to make it 50-8 at the half… Shorter periods and a running clock were used in the second half… Crusader quarterback Ryan Holmes threw TD oases to Chase Brewington, Josh Urwick, Peyton Robertson and Robert Williams caught 2 of them for a total of 5… Holmes also had a rushing TD and Will Price fell on a Cougar fumble in the endzone for a score… The Crusaders travel to Faith Christian next Friday night.
Southside 47 – Ware Shoals 0
Braves… The Braves were up in Cincinnati over the weekend taking on the Reds in the last 3 games of a 4-game series so let’s look back
- Friday: Braves 3 – Reds 1 (12)… Last Friday night it took them 12 innings to do it but the Braves defeated the Reds 3-1 scoring 2 runs in the top of 12th inning and then brining in Craig Kimbrel to close the game picking up his 38th save of the season… Justin Upton’s 2-run homer in the 12th proved to be the difference in the game…. The Braves offense pounded out 11 hits on the night to the reds 2 Upton leading the offense going 3-6 on the night.
- Saturday: Reds 1 – Braves 0… I bet the Braves wish they had of saved some of those hits for Saturday because the game turned out to be a pitcher’s duel between Ervin Santana of the Braves and Mike Leake of the Reds as the Reds eked out a 1-0 win over the Braves… The Braves only had 3 hits in the game while the Reds collected just 5 but it was enough to take the win.
- Sunday: Reds 5 – Braves 3… On Sunday the reds earned a split of the 4-game series with the Braves by taking a 5-3 over the Braves… The red led 4-o going into the top of the 7th inning when the Braves picked up a single run but the reds got in right back in the bottom of the inning… The game remained 4-1 going into the 9th inning when the Braves picked up 2 runs and had the bases loaded but just could not get the clutch hit to keep the rally going… Jason Heyward, Phil Gosselin and Evan Gattis each had 2 of the Braves 9 hits and one of Gattis’ hits was a solo homer in the 9th inning… The Braves will have tonight off and travel to the Big Apple for a 3-game series starting tomorrow night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV & varsity Volleyball @ Greenwood 5:00 / 6:30
This & That:
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
- Coach Chris Liner Show…. Be sure to join Coach Chris Liner each Monday night at the House of Pizza in the Western Square as they talk not only Raider football but football in general… They will start at 7:00 pm each Monday night beginning Monday, August 25th…There will specials during each show at the House of Pizza so bring the family and come enjoy the food and conversation… From 6:00 until closing on Monday nights they will selling wings for 75₵ each (that’s 25₵ of the normal price)… They will also have some wing and pizza combo specials available… If you can’t make it, you can always catch the show on Real Radio 860 WLBG or on the internet at www.wlbg.com
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
- Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- Nothing at this time
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a gat and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.