Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: Tuesday, 8-26-14
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports report and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College athletics… Well PC football fans only 2 day left as the Blue Hose will open their season this Thursday on the road up in DeKalb, Ill taking on the Huskies of Northern Illinois… Now I know most of you will not be able to travel up but don’t worry there are plenty of ways to catch the game… You can listen to it live on at GoBlueHose.com or on ESPN3…Kickoff is slated for 7:00 pm… For complete game notes, click on the following link: PC vs. Northern Illinois Notes
Local Sports Results:
- Volleyball … The Red Devil volleyball teams were in action down in Greenwood yesterday as they took on the Eagles… In JV action, the Lady Devils took a win over the Lady Eagles by a score of 2-0… However the news was not as good for the varsity as Greenwood took a 3-0 win… Sorry, no other details at this time.
- Girls Tennis… The Lady Raider tennis team competed in the Highway 221 Eye-Opener as part of their preseason warm-ups last Wednesday and last Saturday… On Wednesday they faced off against the Lady Bulldogs of Boiling Springs @ Boiling Springs… Unfortunately the Raiders did not fare well as they lost 6-0… For more information on the match and Coach Corley’s comments, click on the following link: Highway 221 First Round The Lady Raiders rebounded last Saturday and took wins over Union County by a score of 4-2 and Greer 5-2 to capture the Consolation Championship… To get more details on these matches and comments from Coach Corley, click on the following link: Highway 221 Consolation Champion Congratulations to the team for rebounding to take the wins on Saturday.
Braves… The Braves were up in Cincinnati over the weekend taking on the Reds in the last 3 games of a 4-game series so let’s look back
- Friday: Braves 3 – Reds 1 (12)… Last Friday night it took them 12 innings to do it but the Braves defeated the Reds 3-1 scoring 2 runs in the top of 12th inning and then brining in Craig Kimbrel to close the game picking up his 38th save of the season… Justin Upton’s 2-run homer in the 12th proved to be the difference in the game…. The Braves offense pounded out 11 hits on the night to the reds 2 Upton leading the offense going 3-6 on the night.
- Saturday: Reds 1 – Braves 0… I bet the Braves wish they had of saved some of those hits for Saturday because the game turned out to be a pitcher’s duel between Ervin Santana of the Braves and Mike Leake of the Reds as the Reds eked out a 1-0 win over the Braves… The Braves only had 3 hits in the game while the Reds collected just 5 but it was enough to take the win.
- Sunday: Reds 5 – Braves 3… On Sunday the Reds earned a split of the 4-game series with the Braves by taking a 5-3 over the Braves… The Reds led 4-o going into the top of the 7th inning when the Braves picked up a single run but the Reds got in right back in the bottom of the inning… The game remained 4-1 going into the 9th inning when the Braves picked up 2 runs and had the bases loaded but just could not get the clutch hit to keep the rally going… Jason Heyward, Phil Gosselin and Evan Gattis each had 2 of the Braves 9 hits and one of Gattis’ hits was a solo homer in the 9th inning… The Braves were off last and travel to the Big Apple for a 3-game series starting tonight.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive were also off last night but over the weekend they did something rare for them, they won 3 games in-a-row as they hosted the Savannah Sand Gnats…. On Friday they defeated savannah 6-5, on Saturday they won by a 7-3 score and Sunday they won 8-5… They will be down on the coast of SC tonight as they start a 3-game series with the Charleston RiverDogs.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Volleyball will be at Mid-Carolina for JV –varsity match 5:00 / 6:30
- Cross country will be at South Pointe 5:00
- Volleyball at Union County for JV-varsity matches 5:00 / 6:30
- Volleyball at Greenwood Christian MS @ 4:00, varsity @ 5:00
This & That:
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
- Coach Chris Liner Show…. Be sure to join Coach Chris Liner each Monday night at the House of Pizza in the Western Square as they talk not only Raider football but football in general… They will start at 7:00 pm each Monday night beginning Monday, August 25th…There will specials during each show at the House of Pizza so bring the family and come enjoy the food and conversation… From 6:00 until closing on Monday nights they will selling wings for 75₵ each (that’s 25₵ of the normal price)… They will also have some wing and pizza combo specials available… If you can’t make it, you can always catch the show on Real Radio 860 WLBG or on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the BHP Bears… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
- Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- Nothing at this time
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a gat and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.