LDHS Volleyball… The Lady Raider volleyball teams opened up their season back on Tuesday when they traveled to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Good news as both the varsity and JV teams both took wins… The varsity won 3-0 with set scores of 25-21, 25-16 & 25-20… Anna Stevenson made 11 serves with 4 aces, 10 spikes and 8 kills, Jamie Ackerman made 13 serves and 11 good defensive bumps, Kyler Glover made 14 serves 2 were aces, 48 sets and 26 assists and Taylor Baker made 18 serves with 1 ace and had 18 good defensive… Coach Dianne Raabe said afterwards “We played well, got to try a few different plays and we played together as a unit. It was exciting to see the girls come together, have fun, play well and WIN! YAHOO!”…. The Raider JV team also shutout Union County 2-0 with set scores of 26-24 and 25-23 in some very close matches…. Heidi Ziegler had 16 serves with 4 aces while Hayley Lawson had 14 digs and Natalie Blakenship had 9 serves with 2 aces… The teams are back in action today starting at 5:30 as they host their cross-county rivals the Lady Red Devils of Clinton.
Laurens County Speedway… Let’s take a quick look back at the results from the main events at the LCS last Saturday night.
- Limited… Billy Rushton took the win in the limited division with Gib Gibbons finishing 2nd and David Todd 3rd.
- Hobby… Chris Patterson took the lead on the 3rd lap of the hobby main event and then held on to take his 7tn win of the season… Tim Tollison and Dan Lawson were the next two across the finish line in that order.
- Crates… Dale Tims also picked up his 7th win of the season in the crates division… Colby Cannon finished 2nd and Nick Deitz 3rd.
- FWD… Joel Cabe picked up his 9th win of the season by finishing first in the FWD… He led start to finish with Justin Bryant and Andrew Patterson being the next two across the finish line.
- Faster Pastor: In the annual Faster Pastor race Eddie Tyner picked up the win… John Smothers was second and Jerry Bailey was third.
Braves 3 – Mets 2… After dropping the first game of the 3-game series to the Mets on Tuesday night, the Braves rebounded and took a 3-2 win last night… Jason Heyward started things off for the Braves in the first inning with a solo shot to make it 1-0…. After allowing the game to be tied in the 2nd inning, the Braves got 2 more in the third and then using some remarkable defense by shortstop Andrelton Simmons and some relief pitching including Craig Kimbrel working out of a jam in the 9th to get his 39th save of the season went on to the win… Final game of the series is tonight in New York.
Charleston 8 – Greenville 0…. Down in Charleston last night the RiverDogs took an 8-0 win over the Greenville Drive…. The drive’s offense was all but nonexistent as they managed only 3 hits to the RiverDogs 13.
- Carolina Panthers… The panthers have their last preseason game tonight at 7:30 up in Pittsburg against the Steelers.
- South Carolina…. Opening night of the season is here for the Gamecocks as they take on the Aggies of Texas A&M tonight at 6:00 pm…. Hope you have the SEC network because that is where you can watch it
Local Sports Schedule:
- Volleyball at Laurens 5:30 / 6:30
- JV football host Greer 7:00
- Volleyball host Clinton 5:30 / 6:30
- JV football @ BHP 7:00
- Volleyball at Cambridge 4:00 / 5:00
This & That:
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
- Coach Chris Liner Show…. Be sure to join Coach Chris Liner each Monday night at the House of Pizza in the Western Square as they talk not only Raider football but football in general… They will start at 7:00 pm each Monday night beginning Monday, August 25th…There will specials during each show at the House of Pizza so bring the family and come enjoy the food and conversation… From 6:00 until closing on Monday nights they will selling wings for 75₵ each (that’s 25₵ of the normal price)… They will also have some wing and pizza combo specials available… If you can’t make it, you can always catch the show on Real Radio 860 WLBG or on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the BHP Bears… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
- Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nothing at this time
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a gat and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.