The Blue Hose football team opened their season on the road up in DeKalb, Ill. as they took on the Huskies of Northern Illinois.. It was not what PC fans had hoped for as the powerful Huskies took a 55-3 win over the Blue Hose… For complete details on the game, click on the following link: PC at Northern Illinois Results
The University of South Carolina also opened their season at home last night against Texas A&M and the defense really had nothing to brag about as the Aggies won 55-28… For more information on the game, click on the following link: Texas A&M at Carolina Results
Local Sports Results:
- JV football: Greer 3 – CHS 0… Clinton JV team opened up the 2014 season by dropping the first game 3-0 to Greer… Clinton took the opening kickoff and returned it inside Greer territory and moved the ball inside the 20 before turning it over on downs. Clinton’s defense forced Greer to punt and again drove deep into Greer territory before a fumble gave the ball to Greer… Greer drove deep into Clinton territory but a fumble caused by Sincere Hunt gave Clinton the ball with 3 minutes to go in the half. However Clinton fumbled on their own five and Greer recovered it at the one yard line… Clinton’s defense would rise to the occasion and stop Greer on 3 consecutive plays and forced Greer to kick a field goal with 25 seconds to go in the half… Clinton’s King Price took the ensuing kickoff and returned it all the way to the 20 yard line with 10 seconds remaining. Clinton tried two passes but could not connect on either… In the second half it was a defensive battle on both sides as neither team could score. Clinton was able to drive it to the Greer 30 with less than a minute to go but turned it JV we in downs…. Afterwards, Coach Chris Wofford commented “Our defense played extremely well but we could not take advantage on the offensive side of the ball”… Clinton falls to 0-1 and will host Newberry next Thursday night. (Contributed by Coach Chris Wofford)
- Volleyball…. Varsity: CHS 3 – LDHS 2… The Lady Red Devil volleyball teams traveled to Laurens yesterday with the varsity team looking for its first win of the season…. After the final point scored, Clinton took a hard fought 3-2 win over Laurens…. Laurens took the first set 25-19 but Clinton rebounded to take the second set 26-24… Laurens then came back and took the third set 25-21 but again Clinton came back to take the fourth set 25-21… That forced the fifth and deciding set which went back and forth but Clinton finally won by a score of 15-13 giving the Red Devil varsity team their first win of the season… For Laurens, Jamie Ackerman had 21 good serves with one ace and she also had 21 good serve receptions and 8 digs… Anna Stevenson had 44 spikes with 23 kills while Kyler Glover had 70 sets with 25 assists and Mikaela had 38 sets with 15 assists….. After the contest Laurens Coach Diane Raabe commented “Anna Stevenson had an awesome night. Jamie Ackerman was very together in everything she did. We made some mental errors but all in all they played well .I thought the girls played hard and I am proud of them. I am the one that needs to do a better job of coaching such talented young ladies. .It was a tough loss but a real exciting match. We had good fan support and team spirit. So I need to thank all the parents, students and fans” In JV action Clinton also won by a score of 2-0… The Lady Red Devils won by scores of 25-12 and 25-17… For Laurens, Hayley Lawson had 9 serve receptions and Natalie Blankenship had 10 serves with one ace… Sorry no scoring details from Clinton.
- JV Football: BHP 22 – LDHS 8… In JV action up at BHP, the Bears took a 22-8 win over the Raiders… Troy Dendy put the Raiders on the board first in the opening quarter with a 96 yard run…. Jordan Pearson made the 2-point conversion… The game stayed 8-0 Raiders until early in the 4th quarter when the Bears scored their points after getting the ball deep in Raider territory to tie the game 8-8… The Bears would score again later to go up 16-8 and their final points came in the closing minutes when they intercepted a Raider pass and ran it back for the score…. The Raider JV team is off next week and will return to action on Thursday, September 11th when they host Mauldin.
Braves 6 – Mets 1… The Atlanta Braves finished their 3-game series in New York on a positive note as they took a 6-1 win over the Mets… The Braves offense was the key as it came to life collecting 13 hits on the night while starter Mike Minor and company held the Mets to just 4 hits… The Braves start a home stand tonight with the first team in being the Miami Marlins.
Charleston 10 – Greenville 0… The Drive finished their road trip on the coast in Charleston last night with a 10-0 loss to the RiverDogs… Greenville returns home tonight and starts a series with the Augusta Green jackets.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity football at Greer 7:30
- Varsity football host BHP 7:30
- Varsity football @ Faith Christian 7:30
This & That:
- Season Tickets on Sale For CHS Football… Season football tickets are now on sale at CHS for the upcoming football season… They can be purchased Mon. – Thur. from 8:00am – 3:30 pm in the business office… You need to ask for Ms. Ginger Eaton (938-1844) and will be $40 per ticket with 1 parking pass per family… For those 65 and older the season ticket is free but a parking pass will cost $20.00… Clinton has 5 home games this season… They are: Sept 12 – Woodruff, Sept. 19 – Laurens, Oct. 3 – Broome (Homecoming), Oct 17 – Union County & Oct 31 – south Pointe (Senior Night).
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will hold its first meeting of the year on Friday August 29th… The three local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC will be the featured speakers… For more information about the club including the full season schedule and information about joining, click on the following link: 2014 Laurens County TD Club
- Coach Chris Liner Show…. Be sure to join Coach Chris Liner each Monday night at the House of Pizza in the Western Square as they talk not only Raider football but football in general… They will start at 7:00 pm each Monday night beginning Monday, August 25th…There will specials during each show at the House of Pizza so bring the family and come enjoy the food and conversation… From 6:00 until closing on Monday nights they will selling wings for 75₵ each (that’s 25₵ of the normal price)… They will also have some wing and pizza combo specials available… If you can’t make it, you can always catch the show on Real Radio 860 WLBG or on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the BHP Bears… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7
Happenings at – Clinton & Laurens YMCA, City of Laurens Parks & Recreation and PC
PC Sports Camps
- Baseball CampCoach Elton Pollock will be holding the Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) for baseball players in grades 9-12 and Junior College August 30-31… If your youngster is into baseball this is a great way for them to improve their basic skills… It’s not too early to register… For more information click on the following link: Blue Hose Select baseball Camp (Session II) Information
Laurens YMCA: The YMCA is offering a $15 if you sign up before the deadline for registration
- Registration is now underway for Fall Soccer at the Laurens YMCA… It is open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close August 31st… The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : email@example.com
- The Laurens YMCA will be registering youth for Flag Football starting Sept 2 – October 3… It will be open for youth ages 3-14…. The fee is $65 for YMCA members and $75 for non-members… For more information contact Josie Parker at 864-984-2626 or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nothing at this time
Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… Registration is open until August 30th for fall baseball with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department… The divisions are for those 6-8 and 8-11… The cost is $25 and includes a gat and jersey….You can register during normal business hours at the Little River Park office and for more information email them at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.