LDHS: The Laurens Raider varsity basketball teams closed out their season Friday night as they took on the Greenwood Eagles at the LDHS main gym.
- Girls: Greenwood 59 – Laurens 52… The Lady Raider basketball team found themselves trailing 47-51 going into the final quarter of play last Friday night and then mounted a comeback where they outscored the Lady Eagles 21-12 but fell a little short as the Greenwood took a 59-52 win…. The fourth quarter surge was led by Cali Heisey who had 13 of her game high 28 points in those final 8 minutes… The Raiders did get to within 3 points at one point in the final quarter… Alexus Espinosa had 10 points for the Raiders, MK Moore 5, KB Burnsides 4 and Qua Fortson 3… The team finishes 8-16 on the season and 2-8 in region play.
- Boys: Greenwood 84 – Laurens 58… The young Raider boys team also lost Friday night to the Eagles by a score of 84-58….The score was 19-12 after the first quarter and the Eagles consistently outscored the Raiders in every quarter after that… The Eagles pretty much controlled the rebounding on both ends of the court and the Raider defense seemed to be AWOL at times during the game…. Connor Dunlap led the Raiders with 9 points… Christian Anderson and Ryan Dacre both had 8 points, Rakeem Franklin & Dravious Copeland 7 each, Donte Shumpert 6, Amaija Hill & Ty Foster 5 each and Zh’Rece Anderson 3…The team winds up 4-20 on the season and 1-9 in region play.
Laurens Academy: The Laurens Academy Crusader basketball teams participated in their region tournament over the weekend down at Newberry Academy.
- Friday Boys: Richard Winn 65 – LA 43… The LA Crusader boys’ team faced off against the Eagles of Richard Winn on Friday and und=fortunately came up on the short end of a 65-43 score… The Eagles took a 22-18 lead over the Crusaders at the end of the first quarter and then continued to pull away in each quarter… The Crusaders were led by Noah Moore who had 15 points… Other scoring for the Crusaders were Will Price with 8 points, Joshua Moore 7, Jonathan Burns 6, Jack Kerber 5 and jack Kobe 2…. The Crusaders will now wait on the seeding in the SCISA State Tournament to see what happens next.
- Friday Girls: LA 32 – Newberry 21… The Lady Crusaders also took on an Eagle team on Friday but it was the Newberry Academy Eagles…. Even though the Crusaders’ offense was not quite in effective as in most of their recent games they still managed to take a 32-21 win… Taylor Campbell was the only Crusader in double-digits with a game-high 11 points… Others putting points on the board were Ruthie Moore with 7, Hannah Stribling 6and Reagan Williamson, Julia Kerber, Blair Quarles and Florence Mitchell all had 2 each.
- Saturday Girls: LA 36 – Richard Winn 26… On Saturday afternoon the Lady Crusaders defeated the Lady Eagles of Richard Winn 36-26 top win the region tournament championship… I am sorry but no scoring details were reported to me…. The Lady Crusaders now also await their seeding in the upcoming SCISA state tournament that begins later this week.
Region Awards…. After the conclusion of the tournament on Saturday region awards were announced.
- Girls: Region Champs, Region Tournament Champs All-Tournament: Reagan Williamson, Taylor Campbell, Tournament MVP- Ruthie Moore All-Region: Blair Quarles, Ruthie Moore Region Player of the year- Taylor Campbell Region Coach of the Year- Jason Marlett
- Boys: All-Tournament team: Noah Moore All Region: Joshua Moore
This & That:
- Baseball and Softball Registration Open at Clinton Family YMCA… Registration is also open at the Clinton Family YMCA for youth baseball and girls softball… Youth baseball starts with those ages 3 and goes all the way to age 12 and will be divided into age appropriate groupings and does include Ozone baseball for the oldest group… Girls’ softball starts at age 7 goes to age 13 in two age groups… The deadline to register is Tuesday, February 14th for all of this… Now for more information as to specific age groupings, cost and other details you can call the YMCA at 833-1555 or click here to open a brochure with most all the information you might be looking for.
- Travel Basketball Tryouts… Any young Lady or man who is currently in grades 3 – 11 and thinks they might be interested in playing travel basketball needs to come to main gym at LDHS on Sunday, 2-19-17 between the hours of 4 and 6 pm… At that time LDHS Head Girls Coach Yoneko Allen will be answering questions about travel basketball and conducting tryouts… If you have any questions about this contact Coach Allen at 864-876-6016.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.