- First Round Boys Basketball Playoffs: Clinton 80 – Indian land 70…. The Clinton Red Devils took on the Indian Land Warriors last night in opening round action of the Class-AAA playoffs at CHS… The Red Devils took an 80-70 win but the Warriors made them work for it… The Red Devils jumped out to an 18-10 lead at the end of the first quarter but could have had a larger lead as they went 4-8 from the free throw line in the quarter and that would be the one stat that haunted them late in the game… The two teams each scored 18 points in the second quarter to make the score 36-28 at the half as the Warriors started to get some shots to drop which they had not been able to get in the first quarter and they had very few put backs as the Red Devils outrebounded the Warriors most of the night…. In the third quarter the Red Devils came back out and outscored the Warriors 19-13 as Jalen Carter scored 8 of his game-high 19 points in the quarter helping Clinton carry a 55-41 lead into the final 8 minutes of play… The Warriors did not throw in the towel as they picked up the scoring in the final quarter and got to within 4 points (69-65) with just over 2 minutes to play before the Red Devils went on a 11-5 run down the stretch to take the win… The Warriors had to foul and the Red Devils were only 14 of 26 from the free throw line in the final quarter which helped keep the game close…. In addition to Carter’s 19 points the Red Devils had 3 other players in double-digits…. Kiah Young had 18 points, Zay Hurley 17 and Tymori Tribble 15… Rounding out the scoring for the Red Devils you have Jahleed Cook with 8 points and Vilo Boyd had 2… The Red Devils will be back in action this Friday as they host the Pendleton Bulldogs who defeated Emerald 72-64 last night up in Pendleton…. Tipoff will be at 7 pm…. See below for a few photos from last night’s game…. Go Big Red!
SCISA Playoffs…. Yesterday the SCISA Class-A State Playoff Brackets were announced and the Lady Crusaders will play this Friday at 5 pm when they will face Mead Hall…. The game will take place at Heathwood Hall in Columbia… The boys will start tournament play on Saturday at 1 pm as they take on Covenant Christian… This game will also be at Heathwood Hall.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS and District 55 middle schools, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS and CMS, click here
- Laurens Academy: see above
This & That:
- Travel Basketball Tryouts… Any young lady or man who is currently in grades 3 – 11 and thinks they might be interested in playing travel basketball needs to come to main gym at LDHS on Sunday, 2-19-17 between the hours of 4 and 6 pm… At that time LDHS Head Girls Coach Yoneko Allen will be answering questions about travel basketball and conducting tryouts… If you have any questions about this contact Coach Allen at 864-876-6016.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.