- Men’s BK: UNC-A 89 – PC 48… The PC men’s basketball team traveled to Ashville Wednesday night to take on the UNC-A Bulldogs and the ride back home was not as pleasant as it might have been as the Bulldogs took an 89-48 win over the Blue Hose… The Blue Hose simply had trouble getting shots to go down as they only shot 38.8 % from the floor in the game and free throw shooting was less than 28% while the Bulldogs shot 55.5 % from the floor an 51.9 % from the charity stripe… For more information on this contest, click here… The team returns to action tomorrow as they host Gardner-Webb in a 7 pm contest at the Templeton Center.
- Women’s BK: PC 58 – Gardner-Webb 47… Last Tuesday night the Lady Blue Hose basketball team was in action at the Templeton Center and the news is better as they took a 58-47 win over the Running Bulldogs of Gardner-Webb,,, The ladies led wire-to-wire in this one with Janie Miles scoring 12 points to lead the team in scoring… For more information on this contest, click here… The team is on the road tomorrow as they travel to Radford, Va. to take on the Highlanders in a 2 pm contest…
- Baseball Starts Season Today… The Blue Hose baseball team kicks off their season today as they travel to Tuscaloosa, Al. to take on the Crimson Tide of Alabama… The games today and tomorrow will start at 6:00 pm and the one on Sunday will start at 2: pm… I do believe you can watch those games live on Watch ESPN of the SEC + Network.
- Softball: The lady Blue Hose softball team was in action back on Wednesday as they traveled to Athens, GA. for a doubleheader with the Lady Bulldogs of UGA… The news is not what I like to report as the Lady Bulldogs won both games the first by a score of 10 – 1 (5) and the second by a score of 8-0 (6)… For more information on these contests, click here… The team will start participation in the USC Upstate / Furman Classic which will take place at Furman on Saturday and at USC Upstate on Sunday… For more exact information as to opponents and times, click here.
Local Sports Notes:
- Raiders Wrestlers Host Class 5A Upper State Individual Tournament… The main gym at LDHS will be the scene of some great high school wrestling this weekend as the Upper State 5A Individual Championships will start tonight at 6 pm tonight and again at 9 am tomorrow morning… The top 4 wrestlers in each weight class will qualify for the state championships next weekend in Anderson… The Raiders have 13 of their 14 wrestlers who qualified for this weekend’s action… The raider wrestlers would like to have a good crowd out tonight and tomorrow to cheer them on so if you can make plans to go over and watch some real wrestling not that entertainment stuff on TV.
- Red Devils host Second Round Playoff Game Tonight…As you might remember the Red Devils boys’ basketball team took an 80 – 70 win over Indian Land last Tuesday in to opening round of the SCHSL Class-AAA basketball tournament and that propelled them into tonight’s game at CHS against the Pendleton Bulldogs… The Bulldogs finished second in Region I-AAA behind Seneca with a 5-3 region record (Seneca was 8-0) and defeated Emerald last Tuesday by a score of 72-64… According to information available on MaxPreps they are 14-5 on the season and are averaging 59.1 points per game while giving up 56.4 points per game… Their #5 Semaj Anderson a 6-1 senior appears to be leading the team in scoring with 14.1 points per game in 9 games while CJ Plantin #25 a 6-4 freshman is averaging 12.9 points per game in 19 games… The winner of this game will advance to the third round next Tuesday night against the winner of the Berea at Chester game tonight… If Chester wins, the winner of tonight’s game will play at Chester… Should Berea and Clinton both win, the game next Tuesday will be at CHS… Remember admission tonight is $6.00 and only SCHSL passes will be accepted… VHS has no choice in either of these, it a SCHSL rule.
Laurens Academy: The Laurens Academy Crusader girls and boys teams both open play this weekend in the SCISA Class A Playoffs… Both games will be played at Heathwood Hall down in Columbia and for those of you with GPS devices or smart phones the address is: 3000 S Beltline Blvd, Columbia, SC 29201.
- Girls: LA vs. Mead Hall @ 5:00 pm today…The #1 seeded and 24-3 on the season Lady Crusaders will face the #4 seed Lady Panthers of Mead Hall out of Aiken.. I was not able to find their complete record in any of the usual places I search.
- Boys: La vs. Covenant Christian @ 1:00 pm on Saturday… The boys will not take to the court until tomorrow when the # 3 seeded Crusaders take on the #2 seeded Covenant Christian Academy out of Columbia… The Eagles appear to be at least 16-3 on the season so the 9-15 Crusaders will have their hands full but don’t count them out.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: The Lady Crusaders will play this Friday at 5 pm when they will face Mead Hall…. The game will take place at Heathwood Hall in Columbia… The boys will start tournament play on Saturday at 1 pm as they take on Covenant Christian… This game will also be at Heathwood Hall.
This & That:
- Travel Basketball Tryouts… Any young lady or man who is currently in grades 3 – 11 and thinks they might be interested in playing travel basketball needs to come to main gym at LDHS on Sunday, 2-19-17 between the hours of 4 and 6 pm… At that time LDHS Head Girls Coach Yoneko Allen will be answering questions about travel basketball and conducting tryouts… If you have any questions about this contact Coach Allen at 864-876-6016.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.