- Baseball… The Blue Hose baseball team started their season off with a weekend series down in Tuscaloosa, Ala. with a three-game series with the Alabama Crimson Tide… On Friday Bama escaped with a 4-3 win as PC almost came back for the win… On Saturday Alabama had a scored 5 runs in the fifth inning and then went on to take an 8-1 win over PC (the PC website says 7-1 but Alabama says 8-1)… The Blue Hose were able to salvage one game of the series as on Sunday Tyler Weyenberg had a solo homer in the 8th breaking a 3-3 tie and scored what would prove to be the winning run as PC defeated the Tide 4-3… The team gets back in action today as they host Furman at 2 pm and tomorrow they will host Wofford at 2 pm…. For more detailed information on these games, click on their score…
- Softball… The Lady Blue Hose softball team was in action this past Saturday and Sunday as they participated in the USC Upstate / Furman Classic in Spartanburg and Greenville… On Saturday they played at Furman and lost to Iona 5-3 but came back to take a 5-4 win over Furman later in the day… The action then moved to US C Upstate on Sunday where they once again faced Iona and this time they fell by a score of 8-5… In their final game of the tournament they fell to USC Upstate by a score of 4-0… The team will not be in action until Friday when they travel to Charleston for a weekend tournament… For more detailed information on these games, click on their score.
- Men’s BK: GW 84 PC 56… Last Saturday Gardner-Webb spoiled Senior Day for the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team, handing the Blue Hose an 84-56 loss Saturday night at the Templeton Center. The Runnin’ Bulldogs led wire-to-wire… Will Adams led all scorers with 21 points… For more information on this contest, click here… The team will be at Radford on Thursday for a 7 pm contest.
- Women’s BK: Radford 60 – PC 50… Now the Lady Blue Hose were at Radford last Saturday and after trailing Radford by as many as 17 points late in the second quarter, the Presbyterian College women’s basketball team got back to within five but ran out of time as the Highlanders held on for the 60-50 win… Cortney Storey led PC with 19 points… For more information on this contest, click here…. The team travels to Buise Creek, NC tonight for a 7 pm contest with the Campbell Camels.
Local Sports Results:
- Third Round Basketball Tonight… The #2 ranked Clinton Red Devil boys’ basketball team is back in action tonight as they play host to the Berea Bulldogs who last Friday night upset Chester by a score of 84-82 in triple overtime… The Bulldogs enter tonight’s contest 21-5 overall and finished second in their region to Southside …. They are averaging just over 70 points per game while giving up 62.8… Their leading player is #3 Raymond Williams who is averaging just over 20 points per game… Game time tonight is 7 pm and a large crowd of Red Devil supporters will be appreciated by the team… A quick reminder that only SCHSL passes will be accepted and the admission is $6 both per SCHSL rule.
Laurens Academy: The Lady Crusader basketball team traveled down to Wilson Hall down in Sumter yesterday for a second round game in the SCISA Class-A Tournament.
- LA 55 – Beaufort Academy 34… Their second round opponents were the Lady Eagles of Beaufort Academy and there is good news for Crusader fans as they de-feathered the Eagles and took a 55-34 win… The Crusaders jumped out to a 16-8 lead at the end of the first quarter and extended the lead to 29-20 at the half… The pretty much put the game on ice in the third quarter as they outscored the Eagles 18-8 and then went on to the win… Taylor Campbell led all scorers with 24 points while Blair Quarles had 12 points and Ruthie Moore 10 to give the Crusaders three players scoring in double digits… Regan Williamson contributed 5 points while both Julia Kerber and Hannah Stribling chipped in 2 each… The Crusaders now move on to the semi-finals on Thursday where they will face the Holly Hill Raiders in a 6 pm contest at Wilson Hall in Sumter where they hope to have a big fan following as the Raiders look to be a team of about equal ability as the Crusaders.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: See above.
This & That:
- Allen Staton Baseball Camp… Allen Staton and Thomas Jones will be holding a baseball camp next Saturday (2-25-17) where campers will receive group and personal instructions from both of these professional baseball players… Infield and outfield mechanics as well as hitting instruction will be available… The camp will be limited to the 40 campers between the ages of 9-12 so don’t delay… Registration is $50 and you can sign up at the City of Laurens Parks And Recreation offices at The Ridge… The camp will be held at the Laurens City Park between the hours of 9-12.
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and then will move to the CHS main gym for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.