- Clinton 70 – Berea 62… Last night the Clinton Red Devil boys’ basketball team was tested by the Berea Bulldogs in third round playoff action at CHS and the Red Devils passed the test as they took a 70-62 win but they had to really work to get the win… The Bulldogs came out and made a couple of runs in the first quarter and led 23-16 at its conclusion… The Red Devils chipped away at the Bulldog lead in the second quarter and tied to game 32-32 on a 3-point shot by Tymori Tribble with 1:47 left in the half only to have Berea score 4 unanswered points to regain a 4 point lead (36-32) as the clock ran out on the half… Coach Romines said he challenged the team at the half to come out and get better control of the boards (where they were being outrebounded by the Bulldogs in the first half) and get the ball inside which they did… The Red Devils came out in the third quarter and did as Coach Romines requested and by the end of the quarter they had a 47-44 lead with the Red Devils outscoring the Bulldogs 8-2 in the final 3 minutes of the quarter… Kiah Young had 6 of those 8 points for the Red Devils… Berea then came out in the fourth quarter and took a 48-47 lead to which Clinton responded to make it 49-48 Clinton… Berea scored the next bucket to make it 51-49 with about 6 minutes left in the contest but Clinton retook the lead with 5:41 left and scored 9 unanswered points in that stretch and never trailed again… Berea continued to try to come back but the Red Devils answered each of their challenges and made their free throws when given the opportunity… Tymori Tribble had a game-high 24 points to lead the team with Kiah Young scoring 14, Jahleed Cook 12and Zay Hurley 11 to give the Red Devils four players in double digits… Tashymen Boyd had 5 points, Jalen Carter 4 and Vilo Boyd 2 rounding out the Red Devils scoring… The team now moves on to the upper state finals this Saturday at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville… Their opponent will be Southside who defeated Seneca last night 71-32… Tipoff is scheduled for 3:30 pm.
College Baseball Notes:
- Furman 6 – PC 0… After opening its season down at Alabama this past weekend, the Blue Hose baseball team played at home yesterday and the Furman Paladins ruined the home opener as they took a 6-0 win over the Blue Hose… Simply put, the paladins outhit the Blue Hose who only managed 3 hits in the game… For more information on this contest, click here… The Blue Hose go right back out on the field today as they host the Wofford Terriers in a 2 pm contest.
- South Carolina 5 – Charlotte 4… Now for Gamecock fans there is better news as the Gamecocks ran their season record to 3-1 with a 5-4 win over the Charlotte 49ers last night down at Founders Park in Columbia… Eight of the nine Gamecock starters had at least one hit in the Gamecocks 11 hit attack… For more information on this contest, click here… The Gamecocks host Kansas State tomorrow at 4 pm.
- Clemson: The Clemson Tigers were not in action yesterday but they will be today as they host Western Carolina at 4 pm today.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: The girls’ basketball team will take on Holly Hill Thursday at 6 pm for the upper state championship at Wilson Hall.
This & That:
- Allen Staton Baseball Camp… Allen Staton and Thomas Jones will be holding a baseball camp next Saturday (2-25-17) where campers will receive group and personal instructions from both of these professional baseball players… Infield and outfield mechanics as well as hitting instruction will be available… The camp will be limited to the 40 campers between the ages of 9-12 so don’t delay… Registration is $50 and you can sign up at the City of Laurens Parks And Recreation offices at The Ridge… The camp will be held at the Laurens City Park between the hours of 9-12.
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults id $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.